Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which was the first production bike with cast wheels?
It was in the 70s so you people in your mid 30s should know this :D
Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn Smeg! You got it right again :crying:
If you go on like this you 'll end up with a lifetime supply of Ouzo ;)
Why don't you try the other tivia thread, (what bike is it) I made it for you :)
I mean I hope you can't find it! :D

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grok said:
What about the Kawasaki 900 LTD, it was kinda production. It had those "Lester" mags yamaha copied.
Grok I thought it was the RD400 but you maybe right on this.
It seems that both were introduced in 1976, it remains to find out which one was first!
Here is a picture I found:

Aris

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
The 1973 Bimota HB1 had cast wheels.

In 1972 Massimo joined with Signors Bianchi and Mori to form the Bimota Motorcycle Company. The first frame kit, the HB1 (Honda/Bimota) was released in 1973 and the chrome molybdenum wrap around frame housed the common SOHC CB750 Honda Four. Ceriani forks, Marzocchi rear shocks, sporting tank and seat, cast wheels and cast iron brakes and Brembo calipers transformed the Japanese machine. These machines are now exceedingly rare. Few people could afford the price tag in those days.

Link reference: http://www.mcnews.com.au/ClassicsCustoms/BimotaHistory/historicalbimotapiece.htm

Andy

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's easy to look back and see what early bikes came out with. However, the RD400 was the first mass-produced bike with cast wheels. But they were an option when the bike was released in 1976 which added £61. to the list price of £599. As virtually no-one wanted the spoked wheels, they were fitted as standard the following year. So there ! :twofinger

·
Registered
377 Posts
Actually the 1975 RD250 ( non-LC ) had them as well.

My bro still has his unmarked ( but seized ) pearlescent white version in his garage that hasn't seen the light of day for prob 10yrs :( I learn't to street ride on that by stealing...err borrowing it when I was 16. :D

:)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Smeghead said:
But they were an option when the bike was released in 1976 which added £61. to the list price of £599. As virtually no-one wanted the spoked wheels, they were fitted as standard the following year. So there ! :twofinger
Smeg, did you by any chance read January issue of T.W.O? :twofinger

Aris

·
Registered
714 Posts
ariszr7 said:

Smeg, did you by any chance read January issue of T.W.O? :twofinger
Aris
HEY, Are you calling me a cheat ? :D I didn't think you'd have got that issue yet. But I have to say I'm a seventies man at heart.:cool: Except for flares and platform shoes !!:hurl:

I loved my old RD.......it's still on the go too.:drool:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts