Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be 16 pretty soon and I'm interested in getting a sportbike. Because of the cost of the bike,insurance, etc., I can't really afford anything new (my parents will help pay for the insurance only). I've thought about lots of different bikes I could get, but the cheapest ones I find are early sportbikes from the 80's.

I would prefer something around $1500 at the most, maybe $2000 total - including gear. The only bikes I know of are the Interceptor and the Kawi GPZ's, but even still, I don't no much about them.

My question is: is this the kind of bike to get? Keep in mind, I have no experience whatsoever. If it helps, I'm about 5'8" 170lbs.

Thanks.

------------------

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome to the forum minvert. There were a lot of excellent bikes built in the '80s. A short and incomplete list for beginners would include:

Kawasaki GPz550, Yamaha 550 Seca, Honda 500 Interceptor, Suzuki GS650E... you get the idea.

Keep in mind that you'll need to spend almost as much on protective gear as on the bike, and when you get a bike that old you'd better be prepared to put some money into it and work on it yourself. Just consider the latter part of the fun.

Helmets are (obviously) important. You don't need the latest $500 wonder helmet from Arai. Less expensive helmets offer the same level of protection, but less comfort. Check your local bike shops for fit and availability.

Newenough.com has some great deals on jackets and boots. Ideally, you'll wear the full getup: helmet, boots, jacket, pants and gloves.

Good luck, and let us know if you need any specific advice when you find a potential ride.

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

S

·
0 Posts
EX500! And thats all I gotta say about that !

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Registered
873 Posts
another vote for EX500.

There is no question that is the bike for you. VYPIR started on the street on an EX500 (and he still has it) and now he kicks ass on an R6. That there says it all.. He learned ALOT and learned it well on the ole EX.

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The 80's bikes you mentioned are ok, but for $1500 (plus $500 for gear and msf course) you can do better. EX 500, CB-1 (400), Bandit 400, Zephyr 550, FZR 600, CBR 600 F1...

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Let me agree with Adam. Go with the EX500. You can find them fairly cheap, they are a blast to ride yet forgiving for a new rider and have enough power and speed that you won't *need* to change bikes after a year. I kept mine for a few years and still enjoyed it when I sold it.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
EX 500 would be a good starter. Cheap, lots of them, cheap to fix. Or an Hurricane (no such thing as a F1). You can find both for cheap and learn a lot (including how to be faster than people on bigger bikes who don't really know how to ride).

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have an '83 GPZ 550 and I too think you ought to look at an EX500 as your first bike. Old bikes are fun, but they are money pits. New parts from the manufacturers should come with vaseline for the screwing you have to take and that means you spend your weekends picking through the salvage yard trying to find matching parts. By the time it's all over you'll spend as much or more than if you go ahead and get a newer, nicer, faster EX500. Just stay away from the Suzuki GS500, it's a cold-natured DOG. There are a lot of EX500s out there so look at as many as you can before you buy one. Don't buy the first thing you look at.

Later,
Eric

------------------

·
Registered
186 Posts
I started out on a JR50 when I was little. When I was 18 (last year) I bought a 1990 CBR F1. Boy, I loved that bike. Bought it barely running for $900. Rode it for a year. Wrecked it. Sold it for $1000. That bike had been laid down three times and was great. You couldn't even tell it had been down until I did it and broke the plastic. Steel frames rocked. It rode good, looked decent, did all the squid stuff too. Since it was white/gray/blue finding a matching helmet was cheap and easy. I have a horrible driving record and insurance only costed me $20 a month at first. Then it was raised to $40.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to sound squidly or anything, but how does the EX500 compare to a 600 (easy learning, power, maneuverability, etc.)?

Thanks again.

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minvert:
Not to sound squidly or anything, but how does the EX500 compare to a 600 (easy learning, power, maneuverability, etc.)?

Thanks again.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easier to learn on, not NEAR as much power, more maneuverable.

Any other Q's?

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreenNinja:
not NEAR as much power
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is that? It's only 100cc's less.

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Why is that? It's only 100cc's less.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't ask stupid questions boy !!!! No just kidding, Good question... Basiclly because the engine is 12 or 13 years old .. They havent changed much since their debut..

But I will tell you something.. I own a Ninja 600R(old bike too) and I find the ex500 is pretty much up to par with it..

It'll wheelie man ! i know :D :D
Also one of the most popular bikes on the net .... ex500 .. ninja500R

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

[This message has been edited by Squidwannabe (edited October 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
And ninjas are fast!

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts