Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you guys get this question a lot, but....

I'll be 17 in December and on the top of my list of things to get is a motorcycle. I myself am short on cash, and I'm not sure how much my parents are willing to contribute. Thus, I'm aiming for super-cheap price tags and low insurance. Problem is, I don't know which bikes to look at.

If anyone could suggest a starter bike, I'm open to any and all opinions. Oh, and if it helps any, I'm a little under 5'10" and about 175 pounds.

Also, when it comes to what the bike looks like, anything will be fine, just as long as it doesn't look too much like a cruiser.

G

·
I think Maxim has a good article on this ? :D :p (Sorry I had to!)

EX500 aka ninja 500R. Cheap , quick , did I say cheap ? Forget SV650.. You probably can't afford one(If you can, get this bike though).. One more time EX500.

It'll wheelie , And is a Starting point for posing....

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
If you are going for a new one then I suggest the Suzuki SV650 or SV650S(half fairing version in case you weren't aware). The SV is the best value on the road. Low insurance and very easy power delivery for learning to go fast on. :) If you are going to buy used then there are a number of good choices. I am a believer in buying new but used is okay if you know what you are looking at. Used bikes can quickly turn into an expensive can of worms.

There's my $.02

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never hear any mention of the smaller Ninja, the 250. Why is that? Is it underpowered? Not as good a value?

As for being able to afford an SV, no chance. I can't even afford a new EX500. I guess I'm leaning more towards used bikes...but which one...a used Ninja 500 maybe????

Thanks

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I was 17 I would have had the life expectancy of a fly on an SV or EX500! Unless you've had extensive dirt riding experience, I'd suggest getting a KLR250 or something similarly tame and indestructable.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Not a thing wrong with the Ninja 250. Plenty available in the $1500-2000 range. You will hear lots of arguments against it mainly because bigger,faster bikes can be had for the same cash. I'd consider this the fastest bike you should buy.

G

·
Tristan said:
Not a thing wrong with the Ninja 250. Plenty available in the $1500-2000 range. You will hear lots of arguments against it mainly because bigger,faster bikes can be had for the same cash. I'd consider this the fastest bike you should buy.
When I was 16 , ME and a bud each bought bikes. I bought a cb750 he bought a cbx250. I crashed my bike in 2 weeks, he kept his bike for a while then crashed it in mid december cause he hit ice :D

The cbx was great ! People get caught up in the coolness factor and loose sight of the reason we all ride. I never drove a ninja 250, But I hear it rocks!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The EX-500 will last longer as far a bordom goes. I think that you may get bored with the 250 real fast. The 500 is not too powerful and has plenty of room for growing on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What kind of bike is important yes, but before you spend your whole wad on a scoot make sure you take the MSF class and buy good riding gear, from top to bottom.

·
Registered
192 Posts
T.J is right. Take the MSF course, get some good quality riding gear (including gloves, boots and a quality full face helmet) and then worry about a bike. There are a lot out there that you can pick up relatively cheaply that will fit your needs. I personally agree that an EX500 would be a great starter bike and that as you progress the bike will grow with you. And when you are ready to step up it isn't to hard to sell to someone starting out just like you are now.

Remember, it isn't what you ride, it is how you ride. Ride safe and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
VYPIR said:
Blackbird said:
Don't listen to them! What you want is a good Honda! A CBR250R or RR. About the best 250 money can buy!
That's what I started on a few years back.

Good luck finding a ride ...
Aren't those things $10,000? or more?
also, they aren't available in the u.s of a.

anyway, you guys are way off here (except for squid). he's 17, any bike is a babe magnet when you're 17.

don't ask me how i can say this, but tristan is right, a dual purpose bike would be better suited.

but if a streetbike is what you want, a ninja250 is a good idea. better is the interceptor 250.

avoid big bikes. little bikes are fun. and way easier to ride.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Bro, forget what all these guys are saying. My personal knowledge has taught me that the best way to learn is through experience. Therefore, go buy yourself something a bit quicker than a 250, like a ZX12r or a Hayabusa. Pull out of the dealer, stop, then REV it to the sky and pop the clutch. Not only will you learn how to wheelie AND ride fast, but you'll know what it feels like to dirty your pants! :D:D

Now for the truthful info: I would definitely go for a Ninja 250. You'll learn how to ride faster on a 250 than on something bigger because it's easier to master things on a lighter bike. If you want the sportbike look with the weight advantages of a 250, the Ninja is the way to go. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Tristan's right

Actually, Tristan is right. You should start out with a street/dirt bike. Learn to ride on both street and dirt and it'll make you a much better rider on the street. That's my problem, I never was very good on the dirt. I need to buy a dirt bike and practice on sliding, wheelies, falling, sliding, etc... It will definitely prepare you for life on the street. Plus these kind of bikes are very inexpensive to buy, ride, crash, repair, and insure.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Re: Tristan's right

His_Suzuki said:
Actually, Tristan is right. You should start out with a street/dirt bike. Learn to ride on both street and dirt and it'll make you a much better rider on the street. That's my problem, I never was very good on the dirt. I need to buy a dirt bike and practice on sliding, wheelies, falling, sliding, etc... It will definitely prepare you for life on the street. Plus these kind of bikes are very inexpensive to buy, ride, crash, repair, and insure.
This also is true. Dirtbiking experience is something I wish I had MUCH more of. If you can do what Tristan says, than you'd be better off. The skills learned on a dirtbike directly apply to the street in emergency situations.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Now you guys are really talking sense. I started on dirtbikes when I was 11, and I can SAFELY say that the thousands of hours I spend riding motocross has saved my life on the street more times than any helmet ever could. The dirt is the absolute BEST place to learn how to ride. You learn how to control a bike in a slide with the brakes and the throttle. VERY useful knowledge, that takes quite a few wipeouts (dozens actually)to get down, and wiping out in the dirt hurts less, and is A LOT cheaper than wiping out on the street. I would recommend that everybody learn to ride in the dirt before they swing a leg over a street bike. If they all did, you would see a whole helluva a lot fewer wipeouts and deaths on the street.

G

·
Hey Rossco,

He's 17, You know what he after .. ;)

Dirt would also be the way to go! Still great in the twisties, and the good thing is you can tear across your High School soccer field when the girls are practicing(They love that ;))

Dual sports are really fun.. Im actually looking for a cheap one to play with .. Im going towards an Honda xr/xl 250, Suzuki dr350 , Kawa klr250 ..

·
Registered
74 Posts
First Bike....

May I suggest a Kawasaki EX500 or Suzuki GS500. Used you are looking at a cheap price tag, reliable transport, good on insurance and gas. I commend you on starting small and being smart. With that head on your shoulders you should be on a good way to riding.

Also take the MSF class at your local college for 100.00 its money well spent and you get your endorsement!

Take Care
Tiffany

1 - 19 of 19 Posts