Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving from Michigan to Florida in August, and I'm wondering what type of bike I should get that will make it down there and be my daily driver, I like the Buell's, but will that make it all the way down there?

Thanks,
-Brock

P.S. when I say first bike, I mean first streetbike, I've had plenty of experience on dirtbikes and clutches... just incase your wondering :p

·
Registered
386 Posts
skeet said:
I'm moving from Michigan to Florida in August, and I'm wondering what type of bike I should get that will make it down there and be my daily driver, I like the Buell's, but will that make it all the way down there?

Thanks,
-Brock

P.S. when I say first bike, I mean first streetbike, I've had plenty of experience on dirtbikes and clutches... just incase your wondering :p
Experience on clutches, eh? Good work :thumb:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would say depending on how many miles you can get under your blet before you try to make that trip would be key. But your with the rest of the newbie's. Suggest looking at an sv650

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mileage

What kind of mileage can these types of bikes handle in one sitting? I was thinking a sport-tourer would be cool because it would get me down to florida and with the extra storage I could use when I'm driving it daily... whatcha think?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Ride for any length of time on a m/c is far, far different to driving a cage for said difference. Loose a bit of concentration while riding & you will end up being in the hospital.

One can only gamble on going so long above the speed limit without speeding tickets or just a few in the run NOT to mention accidents at said speeds & not being familiar with the different hwys.

Thing is to try 4 hrs of constant riding along with fuel stop & filling up & by then many, new to m/cing will be pooped. Some of us can clock 6 to 8 hrs on a bike, but even then we are tired at the end AND the big thing is we are familiar with the bikes we are riding & hardened up to that pounding of the wind, possibly rain, having to stop to clear full face helmet visor of bugs, etc.

I would say the Suzy SV-650 but without riding it for some 4 to 6 hrs a NUMBER of times ----- well things can be sort of touch & go.

I remember some chap that was going to do a similiar run & his experience was quite limited. In fact he had the crazy idea of riding one direction ine the one bike he was familiar with, to dump it off to a friend that wanted to buy it & ride back on his newer bike.

Fortunately he obtained a lift by someone with a cage to pick up his new bike. He was so tired from being a PASSENGER in a cage that the very idea of riding the bike back was cancelled & he had it shipped & went back on a bus.

Oh & his 'used' bike was sold locally rather then having it shipped for the bike shipped to him was damaged a fair amount.

Thing is your life worth the gamble on such an idea that you have in mind?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts