Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the beginning pistons and cylinders were made out of steel. Then it was realized that an aluminum piston is a better choice because it weighs less.

The aluminum piston and steel cylinder is still the most popular engine design today.

However, in the last decade the quest for lighter and more powerful engines, manufacturers have been switching to aluminum cylinders that are coated with a thin material of a harder substance.

Which company in the mid 1960s sold a production motorcycle with an aluminum cylinder bore that was coated with chrome?

What is the year, make, and model of this advanced motorcycle?

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
I remember that Guzzi was the first to use Nicasil coating on the cylinders, but I don't know if they used chrome too.
I think they started usung Nicasil around 1980.

What was the question again? :D

Aris

·
Registered
377 Posts
The 1938 BSA Gold Star has an alloy barrel and head, though it used a steel cylinder liner.

The 1960's Manx Norton was also all alloy.

:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Grok,

The Moto Guzzi V7 did have chromed aluminum cylinder. However that was in 1972-1974.

Here is a link: http://www.dameijer.demon.nl/v 7 sport.htm

Hi Mike,

The 1938 BSA was a steel liner, we are looking for a plated aluminum cyclinder. The 1960s Norton Manx... not sure I could not find any reference to a plated aluminum cylinder.

Hi Fasthrc,

I could not find any reference on a plated aluminum cylinder for Maico 250 in the 1960s.

Here is a hint.

This motorcycle was produced in Japan. The manufacturer no longer makes motorcycles, but they do make parts for motorcycles.

Andy

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Andy said:

Here is a hint.

This motorcycle was produced in Japan. The manufacturer no longer makes motorcycles, but they do make parts for motorcycles.

Andy
I think that hint was too much :)

check your PMs...

Aris

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Aris,

Yes that hint should give it away very quickly. BTW your correct.

Andy

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Mike,

Yes you are close. Here is another hint. If you had a 2001 ZR-7S the name of this manufacturer would be spinning around the edge of your tire. :)

Andy

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the answer is:

BRIDGESTONE 175 HURRICANE SCRAMBLER

"Aluminum is a material that transfers heat (as from a cylinder to air) particularly well, so they have simply made the entire cylinder out of aluminum. As in the case of the rotary valves, all-aluminum cylinders with hard-chrome plated bores had been developed in racing; Bridgestone was the first to apply this to a touring motorcycle. These cylinders "cool" very efficiently, and as they expand at the same rate as the aluminum pistons, seizures will not occur unless something is dreadfully wrong."

Link source: http://bridgestone.skew.org/articles/bs175test.html

Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts