Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just reached 600 miles on my F4 and I'd like to know if any of you did your own first service? If any of you did, can you tell me what needs to be replaced/ adjusted? I know I need to change the oil (I'll go for the motul semi-synth). But I think some other parts need adjustment too right?

------------------
allan
2000 cbr600f4
in silver/red color scheme

·
Registered
331 Posts
I changed the oil and filter, adjusted the clutch cable and took that son of a bitch out and rang its little neck. I'm sure I forgot somthing but what the hell. It's a Honda.

------------------
Ride Fast. Take Chances.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thi is an important service and unless you know a lot about bikes I'd take it to a dealer. It is a litte pricey, probably can run as much as $125, but they check everything, I mean everything, including the texture and contents of the oil to make sure it was broken in properly. Better safe than sorry.

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

C

·
0 Posts
The Honda Owner's Manual has a chart telling you what needs to be done. If you haven't read the Owner's Manual then I recommend you do it. Typically that is all you will ever need for a Honda since they hardly ever break. ;) Ducati and Suzuki owners need to have a full time service department. :p :D

I'm not sure of your experience level but it is not difficult maint. The next servicing is typically a little more involved. If you do not have a clean, dry, and large area to work then it probably isn't worth the trouble. If you have never serviced a bike then I also recommend you take it to the dealer. If they are any good they will take a critical look at everything and not just what's on the bike's maint. schedule.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
listen to cheetos or john or whatever his name is today :) and geoff. also tighten all of your bolts, a good idea anyway.

ignore the motul, you're bike isn't in need yet. ring it's neck out, then use the motul, it's good stuff, too good, you're break-in still has one vital part left. that's the ringing it's neck out.

as for oil analysis, you can do that yourself, and most likely your dealer doesn't do it. they may (if you're lucky) look for excessive shavings in the oil.

one last comment, john, at least suzuki recalled it's cam chain tensioners honda's been using the same crap ones since the interceptors. :D

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited June 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
***Do not have the dealer do the 600 mi. service.***

You are wasting your money if you have any mechanical inclanation at all. If you can change your oil and tighten/loosen bolts then you are set. I talked to a couple of the mechanics, which are also my buds, and the service managers. The mechanics said "do it yourself and save some money" and the service boys said "it is only an oil change and check of bolts/chain/ect."

So, try and do it yourself. Buy a genuine Honda oil filter and an oil of your choice. 3.3 liters of oil I think. Tighten the cain to the specs in the owners manual. Check clutch freeplay. Put a wrench on all the nuts/bolts you can see.

If you don't have a clean place to work or no tools to do the job, I'd recommend that you take the plunge and pay the money to let the dealer do it.

Yes, the dealer also sinks the carbs, but this is only for off idle response and the guys in my service dept. say they have yet to see a Honda with the adjustment off.

My .02

------------------

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just took my F4 to the dealer last month.
They changed oil/filter adjusted throttle cable, brakes, lubed chain and a few other things...costed me aroung 50 bucks. I just figured it's worth it for them to do the first service since I might have passed something up...Drew

------------------

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Pls. stop with the stories already!!! I took my bike in for the 600mile service and paid $150!!! I am a freakin' mechanical engineer and I still took it in. Excuse me while I kick my own sorry white, dumb ass. Never again will I listen to those who claim to know what they're talking about. If I have the time, I'm gonna do it myself.

...still kicking my own ass

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taner261:
So, try and do it yourself. Buy a genuine Honda oil filter and an oil of your choice.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

seriously, avoid the synths and semi-synths until everything is seated.

------------------
Tony

88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
WAY TO GO NICK... a Mechanical Engineer that paid $150 for servicing. :mad: Here, let me kick that but too. ;)

Doing your own service should depend on your tools, your comfort with your abilities, a good place to work, and the time (as Nick mentioned). If you have ever worked on bikes before and have the tools then pretty much all of the maintenace is "easy". I'm not sure about things like the valve adjustments on some bikes like the Ducatis. I've heard some say that they are fairly easy to adjust.

Good Luck.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
WAY TO GO NICK... a Mechanical Engineer that paid $150 for servicing. :mad: Here, let me kick that butt too. ;)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey...one butt-kicking is enough, thank you! :D No really though. I was told by some guys with "experience" that it is imperative that I have the dealer do the first time service. They're gonna adjusted my valves, carbs, tranny, and all that stuff. In reality, they changed the oil (used generic shit), cleaned and oiled the chain, and fixed a clunky 2 to 3 shift. Right...can you say, "$110 labor"?

Screw that...never again will I have them do anything that I can even remotely conjur up doing on my own. After the jet kit, I have a LOT more faith in myself. I like the piece of mind knowing that it's done right, because if I don't have that, I don't put it back together. I will sit there until I KNOW it's done right. That's just the way I am.

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think its not a bad idea to get the dealer to perform this first service if you only plan to hang on to the bike for a couple of years. When you got sell the bike you can reassure the buyer of the current working state by having a certified shop having records on it. You might even get a few more bucks for you bike if the buyer is completely satisfied with its history.

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm... i guess i'm gonna listen to you guys and return the Honda HP4 semi synth I just bought and exchange it for a regular 10/40 honda pro oil. (although the bottle of the HP4 says it's okey to use during break-in period... I believe you guys more). And i just read the F4 manual... it says "don't use any oil with moly, it will severely affect the clutch operation." Hmm... further suggesting me to return the HP4.

Anyway, the reasons why I'm doing the service myself is b/c I kinda guessed that they'd just change the oil, filter and just tighten some easy to reach bolts. I thought I could just do it myself, I've never fixed motorcycles before but I can fix cars (not just accessorising... but tuning, troubleshooting, replacing, tinkering my car's electrical system, and drivetrain).

Anyways, I'll do the service Saturday.. Thankyou very much gentlemen for all your replies.

ps. the manual says check and adjust head bearing on the 600 mile mark. Do you know if the dealers really do this? Damm.. i need a helm manual.

------------------
allan
2000 cbr600f4
in silver/red color scheme

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
hp4 is good stuff just wait until you get everything seated. if you can dyno it, get a dyno run out it (don't worry, the numbers will likely be kinda low since it's not broken in) and switch it to semi-synth with the next change.

------------------
Tony

88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cost me about $125.00. I don't have a good clean place to do it. I just took it to the shop at closing time, and picked it up the next day. Kinda nice to have everything documented.

------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts