Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new Ducati guy. I've been a rider my whole life. I cant help but wonder whats the deal with the dealer telling me the first servicing is $500!! I am very new to this forum and even know less about the bike I just bought. Any feedback on the first servicing would be really appreciated. If all it entails is an oil cnhange and filter, I ain't shelling out $500!! Thanks in advance!!

Phil

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Phil, just check your owner's manual for the stuff included in the 600 mile service requirement. It's not a heck of a lot more than an oil change and checking everything over. For example, my 900SS manual shows the following:
  • Change Oil
  • Change Oil Filter
  • Check Timing Belts
  • Check Spark Plugs
  • Check Throttle Bodies (Adjust sensor maybe?)
  • Check Engine Oil Pressure
  • Check Compression
  • Check Brake and Clutch Fluids (easy one)
  • Check Controls and Cables
  • Check Tire Pressure
  • Check Steering Head Bearings
  • Check/Adjust Chain
  • Check Brake Pads
  • Check Bolt Torques
  • Check Battery Water Level
Checking timing belt tension is probably the most involved, but you have the fairings off anyway to do the oil change. Pulling the belt covers is a pretty easy deal. My dealer said it was "and oil change and a once-over," and quoted me much less than $500... Maybe your dealer is planning to go in and check the valvetrain also? At least on the 2V bikes, the manual doesn't indicate a need for this until the 6000 mile service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts