Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the idea, that would a $20 dollar ticket for me! :D

Finnish Police Give Record Speeding Fine
Tue Feb 10,12:49 PM ET Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

HELSINKI, Finland - Police gave a record $216,900 speeding ticket to a millionaire under a system in which traffic fines are linked to an offender's income.

The Iltalehti tabloid reported that millionaire Jussi Salonoja zoomed through the city center last weekend in a 25 mph zone and police handed him a ticket of $216,900. It didn't say what his speed was.

The fine was based on information they got directly for the inland revenue office, the Tuesday report said.

Salonoja, 27, could not be reached for comment, and police declined to discuss the alleged speeding incident until it reaches the Helsinki Regional Court at a later date.

Although it's the costliest ticket to date, it's not the first with a big price tag.

Two years ago, Anssi Vanjoki, then executive vice president of Nokia mobile phones division, landed a $148,000 ticket after being caught doing 46 mph in a 31 mph zone on a motorcycle.

It was later lowered to about $7,500 after he showed a court that his income had dropped, but not before Finns flew into a rage over the high fine. But, after weeks of Parliament debates, discussions on TV shows and expressions of disgust in the media, Finns did nothing and the system remained.

Other hefty speeding tickets have included a $71,000 one for a professional hockey player and one for $190,000 given to one of Finland's wealthiest people.

·
Registered
925 Posts
They do it on the Autobahn, too. On the special that was on the History Channel the other day, it said they gave a guy a $20,000 ticket for not leaving enough space between him and the car infront of him.:thumb:

·
Registered
925 Posts
AudioSolstice said:
WOW :eek:

another reason why i think europeans are odd
If by "odd" you mean "smart", than I agree ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
wantanaprilia said:
If by "odd" you mean "smart", than I agree ;)
yep thats it....i want to be rich like this guy

Two years ago, Anssi Vanjoki, then executive vice president of Nokia mobile phones division, landed a $148,000 ticket after being caught doing 46 mph in a 31 mph zone on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
on the bright side, i don't have 2 nickles to rub together. So i could drive like a madman over there.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
So if you are in a significant enough amount of debt, they would have to pay you. :) I see a new get-rich-quick scheme here! :thumb:

·
Registered
860 Posts
i was thinking about this law in govt class.....it would not work in america because a law like that would be prejudice towards the wealthy and would probally be seew as social and financial discrimination violateing some kind of an equality law. then insurance companies will charge higher premiums based on income. :eek:

i bet they would be able to fight such a high fine by saying if there is a substantial difference in fines then where is there only one road for the wealthy and common man to drive?

·
Registered
517 Posts
And every struggling racer who can't spring for new tires could ride their clapped out rig down the highway by everyone else's relatives with little fear of penalty.

Personally, I prefer the "fine relates to crime" format.

·
Registered
85 Posts
AudioSolstice said:
i was thinking about this law in govt class.....it would not work in america because a law like that would be prejudice towards the wealthy and would probally be seew as social and financial discrimination violateing some kind of an equality law. then insurance companies will charge higher premiums based on income. :eek:
Actually insurance companies are basically already doing so but in the other direction. Maybe what I am saying is a tad deceiving but the truth is your credit is considered when your insurance rates are formulated.

Personally I like the idea of charging based on income. I understand what you mean about it not working here and that is unfortunate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you really want the police and courts running your credit report, asking the IRS how much you made last year, in order to justify peoples abilities to pay. You are plain stupid. Think about this do you want every body to be able to find out how much you make, including your co- workers, neighbors, anybody who wants to sue you for anything?? I think not.:finger:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Splat is 100% correct. I know the Govts would love it as that would mean they would be able to set up more people that will be paid to look into your personal income & believe me they love red-tape. It would probably mean the fines would be hiked up far more then presently to pay for all the people, buildings, supervisors, equipment & such that must come into effect.

If any of you have taken a look at amazing wastes of money it is happening here in Canada with the Federal Govt wasting billions & billions of dollars on sensless things to hand-outs to those that supported the Libs in the last election & wanting them to do the same in the next election.

For your interest of the 10 provinces in Canda (not counting the Yukon or the split North West Terrorties that is costing a fortune) only Alberta & Ontario are provinces that are Have Provinces while the other eight are Have Not Provinces in that they need money from those two (through taxes by the Fed Govt) to support them & supply them with jobs --------- it is endless.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mabe they should do fines based on vehicle weight like the Semi's. Fines should also be doubled if the owner has a cell phone on them :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts