Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They Suck! After getting tired of having to spend so much replacing softer compound tires(Battle-axe, and Metzlers) I thought I would try the Dunlop 205's. Obviously, being in Nebraska, I have a lot of straight, flat riding. I didn't think there would be such a huge difference. We went out to a place called "The Maze". It's an area on the edge of town the city built hoping people would build houses in. Several blocks of curvy, deserted streets, perfect for riding. It's really like a little track. Anyway, took a few laps slow, then stepped it up. Dropped the bike into the first left-hander and almost low-sidded. The tires slid out from under me, then when I recovered, was rewarded with a nice little tank-slapper. Thank God for steering dampers! Two corners later, coming out of an s-curve the rear tire decides to let go as I am on the gas, another slapper. Stopped the bike to look at the street and the tires. You could see the little black marks on the pavement where the rear tire was sliding back and forth in the slappers. I was riding the lip of the tire, but that's the LAST time. You could even see the horizontal slide marks in the tire that ran off the lip from side-slides.

It is amazing how much confidence your tires can give you(or take from you). I now have to be really careful just riding around town. And the stupid things will probably last forever. Be careful what you wish for.

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100

·
Registered
582 Posts
That sucks!!!Sorry to hear that you "laid her down".Ya gotta stick with what works...Those Dunlops absolutely sucked on my bike.(very similar to yours)What was the problem with bike???Was it the coils or what???I'm curious...Jimmy G

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Hammer,
I have a Dunlop 205 in the front and boy does it blow!!! My bike does Tank slappers too (because of tire)...and I can't ever do a STOPPIE !!!!!! Shitty tire!!! I do not like them at all!!!!!

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should have re-phrased that. I didn't lay it down, "dropped it into the corner", just leaning over. The bike still isn't running right. I was told it was the "Black Box". It runs fine, just can't go over 8 grand on the tach. New V&H power pak should solve the prob, just haven't had the cash to get it yet. Too many home projects on the list first. :(

------------------
1993 GSXR 1100

·
Squid
813 Posts
Did you ask around before you jumped into thant set? I would of warned you. Softer is better, there are only two types of tires I would prefer to use. The 207's gp and the pilot racers. They might be a little more expensive and wear out a little faster, but you have to juggle the decisions, pay more for a tire or pay to have my bike fixed when the low/high-side happens. JMO.

------------------
John

http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/id/1144987
"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart" - e.e. cummings

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
D205s are known for falling apart too!! :(

Hammer I'm feeling for ya.

------------------
"If you spent more time worrying about you I wouldn't have to."

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited September 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the 205's on the front, when I got the bird.

Yeah I have to agree, they suck.

Currently have a BT020 on the rear, it seems fine. It's not sticky, but it holds it's lines good as gold.

Ross

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm not really sure what the problem is. I've not laid mine to the very edge of the tire but I've done my share of peg scraping and no problems in my 4000 plus miles on my rear 205. I'm running a 207 on the front just to be safe. I DID notice that after some hard riding for a long period of time that I had overheated the tire and the whole thing had turned blue. But it never once made me feel unsafe. I suppose my chicken strips are about 1/8 inch on either side so I don't drop her all the way over so I can't say what would happen if I did so. Did you have them fully scrubbed in? I know mine were slick as sh*t for several miles.

------------------
Chris (H-Man) Pyle
'99 F4-S/T
Ride Smart, Ride Far

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put 207's on my 92 VFR and noticed a huge difference in traction from the 205's I had on previously. If I pinned it off the line the 205s would just spin the 207s hook up.
just my 2cents worth

------------------

·
Registered
468 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jk6672:
Did you ask around before you jumped into thant set? I would of warned you. Softer is better, there are only two types of tires I would prefer to use. The 207's gp and the pilot racers. They might be a little more expensive and wear out a little faster, but you have to juggle the decisions, pay more for a tire or pay to have my bike fixed when the low/high-side happens. JMO.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

both of the tires you mentioned are great for the track, but suck for the street. they are track tires, not street tires and, as such, never get to full operating temperature (track tires are designed to run at higher temps than street tires, and for fewer heat cycles), and never attain their full traction potential. At the temperatures that you get tires up to on the street (even during agressive riding in the twisties), the regular 207s and the Pilot Sports will give you more traction than the 207 GPs or Pilot Race. Run track tires on the track, and street tires on the street. They are different for a reason.

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I had checked around and read up on several different tires, but I wanted more milage. I thought I was willing to give up A LITTLE in performance for the extra miles, but not this much. The way these things feel compared to my Metz MEZ3's I may as well have taken the tires off my neighbor's Harley. They were scrubbed in plenty. They had over 300 miles on them before the little excursion. I wish they would develope the dual compound tires a little more for true "dual purpose" riding.

------------------
1993 GSXR 1100

·
Registered
192 Posts
The 205s are real sport-touring tires, kind of like a BT45 bias ply but with a radial design. For running at 75 to 85% they are fine. My ZR750F2 has them and they are fine for my riding. Granted, if you want maximum traction try the 207, but the 205 does what it was designed to do. Hard to ask for more than that...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Squid
813 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rossco929:

both of the tires you mentioned are great for the track, but suck for the street.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They seem to work fine in my heat blasting temperatures of 100+ degrees, maybe not so in your neck of the woods.

------------------
John

http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/id/1144987
"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart" - e.e. cummings

·
Registered
468 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jk6672:
They seem to work fine in my heat blasting temperatures of 100+ degrees, maybe not so in your neck of the woods.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I never even thought about that. I guess having pavement you could cook an egg on would make a big difference. Sorry.

------------------
Rossco.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts