Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have the funding to buy another bike. I don't want to start another "what should I buy" thread. I am looking at another fuel injected 600 for $4-5k.

There aren't many of those for sale in the Reno area but there are a lot for sale just over the hill in California. I know California has much more strict emmissions laws. Does this apply to motorcycles? If so, will the performance difference be noticeable? I can alway start shopping in Las Vegas or Salt Lake if that is a better choice. I am thinking that one from Salt Lake would probably be tuned better for the elevation I am at.

Also, there is a '98 Suzuki gsx-r for sale at one of the dealers here that has been sitting around for about a year. I think I could talk them out of it pretty cheap. I think it is carburated. Anyone have any experience with one?

Thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
Shames said:

Also, there is a '98 Suzuki gsx-r for sale at one of the dealers here that has been sitting around for about a year. I think it is carburated.
Not much but I think that it is carburated

·
Registered
462 Posts
Shames said:
I know California has much more strict emmissions laws. Does this apply to motorcycles?
It sure does. If you go to any motorcycle manufacturer website, and look for specific stuff for the bike (not the general specs), they will ask you whether you're talking about the normal model or the CA version. Granted I haven't looked at ALL the bikes that are manufactured today, but it's been like this for all the ones I have looked at. As far as that affecting performance, I'm not sure about that one.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
yes ca bikes have emmisions on them. I think even some of the new 06 bikes have emmisions on them, no matter where they are sold.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The emissions on the Cali bikes arent that bad for performance. Usually only weigh a couple pounds more. I had a Cali bike, and could hardly tell the difference in accelleration and handling. I did remove the charcoal cannister and the AIR injection from the cylinders without ill effects, allthough that was on a carbureted bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fast Glass said:
The emissions on the Cali bikes arent that bad for performance.
Often Cali versions come with more than filtering equipment. Watercooled GSXRs, ie. 93-95 750s and 93-98 1100s, had different cams entirely.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You are right poolshark & to even smaller intakes or carbs, so many a rider would aim for a hardly used bike NOT in the State of Calif & definately grab at one originally in Cdn.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stopped by the Honda shop after work today. They have a 2001 929 RR on the floor listed at $6000+ (screw that). Anyway the thing is a mess. Looks like it was dropped on the right side and wrecked hard on the left side. The plastic is all in tact. It has 23,000 miles on it and needs a new rear rotor. It has aftermarket pipes, brake levers and lines. I'm not sure if the suspension is stock or not. I figure I can throw a low number out there and tell them I am really looking for a 600 anyway if they start trying to sell me. Is it even worth offering say $2000 just to see what they say? I'm afraid that with that much abuse it won't last long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts