Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all my stuff i ordered from kneedraggers has finally came. It took a little longer than expected, due to a little miscommuninication, but no worries. Matts a good guy and he'll take care of ya, but to the goods.

I went for a 30-45 minute ride about an hour ago so heres a short review so far,

Icon mainframe, very comfy, before i was riding with a helmet to big for me noggin, new helmet fits well, good ventilation, no complaints so far.

Joe rocket sonic perf jacket, it was a humid night, but while moving, the jacket flowed air well.

Icon recon jeans. I thought the knees would have a little more toughness to them, just really 2 layers of thick denim, but w/e. The pants flow some great air to you crotch, eliminating alot of swamp ass, definatly like these. Only thing, i ordered a 34 waiste, i usaually wear a 32, but theses seem as tight as 32s, so if you order get 2 sizes bigger.

Icon standard boots. Might take 3 months to break these bad boys in. Pretty heavy duty. One grype is i wore ankle socks with them, and my left ankle was rubbing alot against the inerts of the boot, moral, wear taller socks.

Ive never ridden with basically full gear before and i guess since im not worried about getting rash if i go down, or some other subconcious bs, but as i rode, i felt not only more confident, but as if i had better control of the bike for some reason.. Or maybe im crazy, but whos counting.

Anyway if anyone is interested in buying any of the gear listed above, ill give my honest opinion on it, so just pm me.... Later

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: Re: Finally got my gear

cookeetree said:
There's something comforting about having a layer of gear between you and road. :D

+1:thumb:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Skin is good. Gear saves skin. Therefore gear is good.

Wear it everytime you ride, because you never know when you are going to go down. Once you get use to riding in gear you will feel absolutly naked and vunerable without it.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Fizzer-aid said:
Ive never ridden with basically full gear before and i guess since im not worried about getting rash if i go down, or some other subconcious bs, but as i rode, i felt not only more confident, but as if i had better control of the bike for some reason.. Or maybe im crazy, but whos counting.

I know the feeling. I used to wear jeans and my leather jacket. Now I go full leathers on rides. Call it my Superman suit, you feel indestructible. I push myself a little more, not stupid though. I have found I have gotten allot better on my cornering, not perfect, just better. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Run a search in the gear section and general forum for icon gear... Seen way too many reports of it self destructing and pulling apart on impact to consider it myself.

No first hand experience I will admit. Your fellow cyclists wouldn't lie to you though :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Kestrel said:
Icon is junk.
Most of the guys in my area that wear icon are poser squids who are trying to pick up girls, not save themselves in a crash.

Most people here either ride Joe Rocket, FieldSheer, or A*.

I firmly believe that you REALLY don't know what you want out of gear until you go down in the gear that you have.

·
Registered
892 Posts
most people dont praise as much as they gripe about gear, its that one time in that one situation where the gear doesnt perform as well as expected that you hear about usually. two guys i know went down about a month apart, one wearing the joe rocket rasp and one the icon timax. they both got trashed and tore in a place or two, but saved them from injury.

just my :2cents:

·
Registered
69 Posts
griping about gear

Well. . that's a good point Meat_Shield. . . I gripe about my gear, just because it's easier than to sound like an idiot who brags about it all the time.

I'd take the sacrifice of $1k in gear over a $4k doctor bill. Most insurance companies have riders about replacing/reimbursing safety gear, anyways.

I firmly believe, however, that it really takes going down once or twice to figure out what works and what doesn't. I hi-sided and because of that my new jacket (FieldSheer Track Paddock) is almost too small, but it won't shift on me during a crash, and my new gloves (TourMaster Cortech) are gauntlet style with pads on the back of the hands, right where I broke both of mine. My new helmet is still DOT AND Snell tested and certified (HJC CL-14). Oh yeah, I'm going to wear armor for my legs. Wearing just jeans hurts pretty bad when you meet the ground at ANY speed.

I take the experience I had and turned it into a trial-by-fire buyers guide for my new stuff.

There are lots of good hints, tips, and comments in this section.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts