Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep FINALLY! Picked up my first bike last night- 98 Ninja ZX-7R. friend of mine started on it and now wants to upgrade. He let it go for $3500 24k on the odo, add on another $300 for safety gear (Helmet, gloves, and summer jacket). MSF starts APR. 11-13 so until then bike stays parked. I can't wait until class starts, until then I'll just sit on it every hour and keep it warm :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey! Great ride! Congratulations and enjoy the bike, fellow ninja rider! The 7 is a real sweet little number.

Enjoy the course and congrats also on the new gear. Wishin' you the best, dude! Have fun!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling:D :cheers: Just remember even after your MSF course to ALWAYS RESPECT the power you have available at your right hand!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Biggnick said:
Yep FINALLY! Picked up my first bike last night- 98 Ninja ZX-7R. friend of mine started on it and now wants to upgrade. He let it go for $3500 24k on the odo, add on another $300 for safety gear (Helmet, gloves, and summer jacket). MSF starts APR. 11-13 so until then bike stays parked. I can't wait until class starts, until then I'll just sit on it every hour and keep it warm :D
Little note IMO:

Too many CCs for a starter sportbike.
Too much money spent on it.
Too many mileage on it.
Not enough budget for gears.

With a bike like that, going slow is not an option.

Anyway, welcome to the sport. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the input guys. About the milage issue: Bike was originally bought by this guy who lived next door to a friend of mine when he lived in Texas. Owner took alot of Iron butt trips. Anyways my friend bought it before he moved to VA for his first bike and rode it for awhile and after a few seasons, bought a new Ninja 9R. Before I bought it my friend went half on a maintenence inspection w/ me, Kawi dealer did an inspection (cost about $70) and informed me that the bike was in pretty good shape, so yeah I bought it. As far as inadequate funds for gear:confused: I got my helmet, jacket and gloves for a little over $300. My boy gave me his old boots. What other gear do I need?:)

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Biggnick said:
...As far as inadequate funds for gear:confused: I got my helmet, jacket and gloves for a little over $300. My boy gave me his old boots. What other gear do I need?...
I think it's in reference to the quality of the gear you would have purchased if it only cost you $300.

Yeah, you're covered, but will that coverage cotinue as you're sliding across the road? Understand?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
Little note IMO:

Too many CCs for a starter sportbike.
Too much money spent on it.
Too many mileage on it.
Not enough budget for gears.
It may not be the best starter bike, but he didn't pay too much for it. Kelly Blue Book's suggested retail value is $4655. 24k for a 6 year old bike is only 4k miles a year.. not too bad. As long as it was taken care of.

Anyway, that's a sweet bike man. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Life cycle of a bike is basically 20K, as it reads on owner's manual, that's about how much the value it has on the open market, after that, it all depends on how much the customer is willing to pay for it or how much the seller is willing to let it go. That is why bike prices vary greatly, and there's no consistency over the book value, unlike cars. Often newbie lack experience on taking care of bike with high mileage, and they do require a lot more attention, which could be spent more on riding the first few years than fixing up the bike.

My point is that new riders can save that money on buying a newer bike with less ccs and less mileage, and acquiring top quality gears.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congrats, Maybe a little to many miles and money spent, but you will have fun, and dont let people make you feel uncomfertable with the too many cc's for a begginer stuff. Use your brain and control the too many ccs, after all you are a human controling a machine, not the other way around. Safe riding!

·
Registered
35 Posts
CONGRATS!!!!
Ride ON!!!!!!!!!!
:D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
Tell that to Dad. :laughing: :laughing:
try reading rest of the post. -_-. It's called useful life of the bike - emission and and parts reliability, etc - this is why most bikes out there are sold before 20K mark (not only because owners are bored with it). It has nothing to do with the life of the engine.

For example, I've seen 2001 R1 go for $4500 with 18K mileage, where as 02 R6 with 9k mileage went for $6800, both bikes in good condition, stock but aftermarket exhausts. Now if you were to compare that to cars book value, differences wouldn't be this great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts