Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had success fighting a Red Light Camera in court?

Here's my case...

In my cage, approaching intersection in left turn lane...enter the intersection with vehicle following closely...light had turned yellow as I entered the intersection, but I felt I was not able to slow down to stop from entering the intersection due to car following so closely...light turns red and I'm on candid camera...

Do I have a defense?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Did the cage follow you through th elight? if so, the photo should have a pic of both of you in the intersection? following too close?...attempting to keep a safe distance from a tailing vehicle?

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
Sorry about the ticket. Check the length of the yellow light. Sometimes, it is illegally short. Specific speed limits require a minimum yellow light length. If it's too short, the ticket can be thrown out.

Sometimes, cities shorten the yellow to generate more tickets.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I'll clarify...

2 pictures...the front view shows my big ugly mug, but you cannot see what is behind my car (only the front half is visible)...

From the rear photo, only the license plate is zoomed in...you cannot see anything else (like the car behind me...).

I'm feeling like this is going to turn into a guilty until proven innocent case in front of the judge...I hate this...I hope the city of Mesa doesn't spend my hard earned money all in one place...maybe a city official can get a hooker or something with my $170.00.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith B said:
Sorry about the ticket. Check the length of the yellow light. Sometimes, it is illegally short. Specific speed limits require a minimum yellow light length. If it's too short, the ticket can be thrown out.

Sometimes, cities shorten the yellow to generate more tickets.
Yeah, I'm going over by that intersection today...so I'll check the timing on the yellow light interval...thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Okay, I got a ticket for going through the traffic light also. $75.00 ticket in the mail, paid it. I was definitely guilty, never thought of fighting it! Oh well.

The tag covers that shannon muse speaks of are illegal here in the state of Maryland. They, gov't, are looking for as many ways to get more money from us.

Good Luck, Have you checked the length of time for the yellow light at that intersection?

·
Registered
753 Posts
It's against the law to spit on a sidewalk too. A cop isn't going to pull you over for that tag cover, you can't even tell unless your looking at the tag from an angle. When he's behind you he'll never know the difference

·
Registered
184 Posts
I fought a red light ticket once and won. It wasn't a camera ticket though. All I did was told the judge that in my opinion at that point in time It would have been very unsafe to slam on the brakes and risk stopping in the middle of the intersection than just maintaining my speed and going through. Basically I told him that I didn't feel that I had a safe enough stopping distance. He just looked at me and said "well that's good enough for me".

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
wmac75 said:
I fought a red light ticket once and won. It wasn't a camera ticket though. All I did was told the judge that in my opinion at that point in time It would have been very unsafe to slam on the brakes and risk stopping in the middle of the intersection than just maintaining my speed and going through. Basically I told him that I didn't feel that I had a safe enough stopping distance. He just looked at me and said "well that's good enough for me".
I need the name and address of that judge:D :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Covering license plate

FYI:
I sometimes see a show on t.v. that basically runs traffic violations. Speeders, tailgating, road rage, theft and high speed chases, etc...it is awesome. Anyways, the program, with police assistance (yeah, I know, sounds fishy! ) covered a BMW cop bike license plate and drove past cameras mounted at high volume intersections. I don't know what kind of cameras (show didn't say so the type might not be used everywhere).

The police covered the license plate with saran wrap material, Pam spray, custom shiny-coated glass with indentations, clear plexiglass, etc. Nothing prevented the Police from seeing the plate or zooming in on the plate to identify it. If it was difficult to read the license plate, they just used the negative and it came out crystal-clear!

All done in the name of road safety. BAH! More like revenue!

Kable

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry about the ticket. Red light cameras should only engage if you enter the intersection after the light turns red. If you entered while the light was yellow you should be able to get out of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw a show on T.L.C. in which they had a feature about those tag diffusers. None of the diffusers tested worked very well. Of course, the show could be biased (it was a cop show). I think a tag diffuser is a good idea though, they wouldn't be illegal if they didn't work under any circumstances. So if you get one, don't use it as a carte blanche, but have it just in case.
This is for those cameras. --->:finger:

·
Registered
865 Posts
tsisson said:
Anyone had success fighting a Red Light Camera in court?

Here's my case...

In my cage, approaching intersection in left turn lane...enter the intersection with vehicle following closely...light had turned yellow as I entered the intersection, but I felt I was not able to slow down to stop from entering the intersection due to car following so closely...light turns red and I'm on candid camera...

Do I have a defense?
I dont know anything about the cameras, but if the car was" SO CLOSE", how
did they get your rear license plate number.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: Fighting a Red Light Camera Ticket, Advice?

Cam McFarland said:

I dont know anything about the cameras, but if the car was" SO CLOSE", how
did they get your rear license plate number.....
Because the Cameras are mounted 30 ft in the air...not at ground level...Car was about 15 - 20 ft behind me...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I saw the same TLC show, none of em seemed to work.
I did see somwhere some guy that had his tag on a bracket connected to a car electric antenna. he/she pushed a button and the tag moved flat so no pic could be taken. The person used it more for the speeding cameras.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Fighting a Red Light Camera Ticket, Advice?

tsisson said:

Because the Cameras are mounted 30 ft in the air...not at ground level...Car was about 15 - 20 ft behind me...
O.K....works for me....:) :D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Re: Covering license plate

kable said:
FYI:
I sometimes see a show on t.v. that basically runs traffic violations. Speeders, tailgating, road rage, theft and high speed chases, etc...it is awesome. Anyways, the program, with police assistance (yeah, I know, sounds fishy! ) covered a BMW cop bike license plate and drove past cameras mounted at high volume intersections. I don't know what kind of cameras (show didn't say so the type might not be used everywhere).

The police covered the license plate with saran wrap material, Pam spray, custom shiny-coated glass with indentations, clear plexiglass, etc. Nothing prevented the Police from seeing the plate or zooming in on the plate to identify it. If it was difficult to read the license plate, they just used the negative and it came out crystal-clear!

All done in the name of road safety. BAH! More like revenue!

Kable
Was that the one filmed in Britain? Because I saw that show, and one thing I noticed was that the camera angle they showed was almost dead-on, which totally nullifies the plate cover. All the cameras I've observed out here take the pictures from an angle, so the plate covers *should* work.

Tim, precident was set a few weeks ago in San Diego when a judge threw out over 300 red light camera tickets when it was proven that the company operating the cameras had reduced the yellow light timing. I can't verify this, but I seem to remember that one of the local news stations set out to see if that was going on here too. I want to say it was, but I'm just not sure. Maybe do some checking at Fox 10?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts