Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys im new here and had a few questions. I am 15 years old right now turning 15 and a half in a month and saw that you can get a permit when your 15 and a half and are allowed to ride a motorcycle during the day just not on the freeway or be able to ride anyone. I have been riding dirtbikes for 5 years and have ridden my dads streetbike a few times, so i am familiar with motorcycles and wouldn't have a problem riding. My question was I really like the sportbike look and feel and am not really interested in any other type of motorcycle, I was interested in getting a 600 (cbr) but my dad quickly shot down that idea with how much insurance would cost, so i was thinking would insurance say for a ninja 250 be very expensive for a 15 year old? If so is there any other sportbike-type bike that wouldn't have a high insurance cost? Thanks a lot

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would suggest getting mid 90s 600 or 750 for less than 2 grand then have your dad insure it and get whatever accident coverage he deems necisary, but skip collision and comprehesive. This will really bring down the insurance cost but, not cover your bike for damages in the case of an accident, but hey the bike only cost 2 grand in the first place. Be careful :). Im sure other will have different suggestions but thats my :2cents: .

I would also highly suggest learning to drive a car on the road and getting a car licence before you persue a motorcycle. It is MUCH easier to concentrate on operating your motorcycle in traffic once you have already mastered the rules of the road and they come second nature to you after driving a car. Whatever you do its your decision though so just have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Yes first of all get at least a year's experience of driving a car before you start seriously looking at m/cs. There is so much to learn out there as a cage driver & when you come to riding a m/c you will be shaken at what you did not realize as a car driver ONLY you will have a far better idea of the rules of the roads, what other drivers are like & such.

·
Registered
14 Posts
drive a car for a while first. get used to other driver's actions while you're a little safer on 4 wheels, then petition for a bike

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
All good advice. Learn how to deal with "The rules of the road" before getting a sportbike. If your dirt bike is street legal stick with it for awhile. Learn how to drive/ride defensively.

Take the MSF course! And wear your gear!

·
Registered
306 Posts
not too familiar with Cali....but if you live in a small town (iron eagle the movie, for example) i'd say go for it, you can learn without the pressures of big-city driving and even race an airplane :)

j/k....but the older (or wrecked, rebuilt if it's cheap enough) is a good idea

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I agree w/everybody. Get something older, and possibly showing some damage. Because you're going to drop it. Nothing against you, but that's just how it works. Older=cheaper

1 - 7 of 7 Posts