Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get my bike towed to the dealer for general repairs on Monday. They take it in and on the same day the service manager says that althoug he hasn't closely looked at the bike it's in bad shape and he wants 300 dollars down before he even looks at it.

I was told on the phone that it is a 75 dollar estimate and that I can choose to take the bike without doing the repairs and paying the 75 or just completing all the repairs from the inspection and waiving the 75 estimate fee.

Anyhow I end up putting 300 dollars as a refundable deposit after coming down to the dealer myself and he says they are backed up and wont be able to even look at the bike til Friday...so I patiently wait and call today to be told my the receptionist (in a rude manner mind you) that the Service Department has been closed since thursday and won't open til Monday for "technical training"

I also asked if this was scheduled beforehand or was this some spontaneous act, and the reception notified me it was scheduled beforehand.

I'm feeling pissed because the service department should have notified me that they would undergo training or at least not have told me that friday it will be looked at...

No I have to wait til Monday or LATER apparently to even get my bike looked at....what should I do?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Thats why they call 'em stealerships...

Seriously how bad can you bike be broken? what is it that their 17yr old mechanic can fix that you cant?

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Call another dealership and see about having it moved. Get a name and solid details about what they will and will not do for you.

Don't stay where you are. This is the path of "getting screwed" and it won't stop until you've bled lots of green.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing DRASTIC from my understanding that could take so long...

I took it to the dealership because it's dripping oil...which, from what I can tell is probably a gasket/seal that needs replacing.

I also wanted to get my rear brakes adjusted/fixed since they stopped working all of a sudden.

And to give it an inspection for any additional issues with it.

THATS IT.

I spoke to some random manager and he told me they will take care of the matter and that saturday they will look into it..which I don't believe since his job is to reassure me that everything is ok and to calm me down.

Apparently over the course of the week they started "taking care" of the oil leak but again, that just seems like they said that to keep it there.

I'm going to contact anothe dealership in hopes of getting it done somewhere else....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I honestly have no idea, just when explaining it to friends who have experience with bikes they tell me thats probably it.

I can't fix the bike myself because I don't own tools nor do I have any kind of experience with mechanical repairs.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
the local honda dealership near my house is actually nice and don't overcharge you. Its actually cheaper to replace your tire there then the local motorcycle shops (by like 20 bucks!). Atleast for my old cbr.

And yes, never go to stealerships. If u do, just buy a new bike. get yourself a bike manual and recruit a friend or two with a pack of beer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Kawasaki Dealership just contacted me and heres the round up of estimates... I was hoping you guys could tell me how much parts would cost and I can probably get a friend to help me do it.....

The oil leak is coming from 3 different places :

1. Generator Cover
2. Oil Cooler
3. Drain Plug

So he says that the the following need replacement:
generator cover w/ gasket, oil cooler

To fix the oil leak ALONE it's going to cost 897.00

The fork seals are leaking and the oil from the seals have dripped down onto the front brake pads so besides the fork seals the pads need to be replaced as well.

And finally the Cover over the small gear on engine (counter shaft?) is missing...

Other than that just the coolant reservoir with gasket and cap need to be replaced as well.

Total he said estimated it would be 1093.00 that's including labor and parts.

That seems very steep to me so a question, I'm pretty sure my friend(s) can do all this work themselves, im going to make a few phone calls but how much do you think exactly all this work SHOULD cost?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
You're in Miami right, and so is the dealer? What is the name? If it's Miami, then it figures. Tell them to go fuk themselves. If you the buy the parts yourself and do it with collaboration of your friends, it should be so damn cheap. Dealers over here... above Palm Beach are nice and honest. Individuals mechanics aren't all honest either, sometimes you find the hard way. Usually these leaks are bolts, or gaskets, or seals and wouldn't cost more than $50.00, yet those aholes advice you to replace the entire part, so they can charge you for extra labor and percentage they receive from ordering and selling the parts.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Has this bike been crashed, vandalized, or worked on by gorillas? If not, what are the chances of two sealing surfaces and an oil cooler failing simultaneously? I expect the odds of you doing it yourself are much better.

Assuming you know where the generator cover, oil cooler, and drain plug are, do this - First, visually examine the cover. If it is not cracked, and if the sealing surface is not damaged, you do not need a new one. Clean the cover & the area around it.

Next, examine the oil cooler. If the fins are not damaged, carefully clean it of any oil & move on.

Lastly, the drain plug. Clean it of any oil.

Now start your bike up & let it run for a few minutes. Shut it off, and examine the parts for any evidence of oil leaking.

If leaking from the generator cover, a new gasket and a little silicone seal should fix it - total cost well under $20 dollars & 1/2 hour of work.

If leaking from the oil cooler, remove the cooler & take it to a radiator repair shop. Should be well under $100 dollars, and at very worst 2 hours work, more likely to be less than 1 hour.

Not very likely to be leaking from the drain plug, more likely running down from wherever it is leaking from and accumulating there.

How you feeling about that dealer right now?................

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your prompt responses.

And yes it was the Palmetto Kawasaki. I shoulda known better with dealers located in Hialeah!

My friend is experienced in working on the bike and he says not to even bother ordering parts til we look closely at the bike because it's probably something simple. Anyhow I'm going to be by his side for experience so in the future I learn to do these things myself.

I'm picking up the bike on monday and paying them the estimate cost (by the way they tried screwing me saying that the estimate was 300.00 but a quick call from Kawasaki Consumer Relations and I got it to the appropriate estimate price)

On a lighter note I just finished completing/passing my MSF basic rider course. So I'm in a good mood.

·
Registered
12 Posts
None of those issues are really all that bad. The fork seals suck due to needing the propper tool, but as far as the rest it should'nt exceed $600. Christ, to do a tranny job on an R6 ( those of you with 99-02 models know what I'm talking about.) it only sets you back $800. And that's a lot of work.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Revelation715 said:
Thanks for your prompt responses.

And yes it was the Palmetto Kawasaki. I shoulda known better with dealers located in Hialeah!

:D Couldn't have come up with better story myself. The owner seemed nice (we spoke through emails once). But his staff, well you figured that out. lol. May be if you speak to the owner about this, explain your situation and how you were treated, you could get better quotes.

Been there couple of times and bought a few things, they don't have the most concenred salespersons either. What's your bike?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Can you post some pics of your bike with the fairings off? Either your bike is seriously injured machine or your dealer is a lying SOB.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like there has been a change of plans. I thought I could rely on my neighbor but hes still sleeping. So I will have to find a repair shop or another dealer and hope they wont charge me 1k...because this isn't the first time I've been sold out my him.

I'm so upset because after purchasing it I've only ridden it two days and it's been unavailable for about two weeks now.

And I'm losing time/money at work because I have to leave early to take care of all these matters.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Revelation715 said:

I'm so upset because after purchasing it I've only ridden it two days and it's been unavailable for about two weeks now.

And I'm losing time/money at work because I have to leave early to take care of all these matters.
Hey, hang in there. I've had to wait and do the same, had my bike for a month sitting at a mechanic's shop. Turned out he was a lying scumb, and found out the hard way, had to pay $220.00 for all his BS check ups. Eventually, the bike will get fixed, just think about how fast you'll lane split through Palmetto, :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had a few friends take a look at the bike and told me what i should order. I went ahead and bought the parts needed and then some. Now I'm just waiting for shipment to arrive (4-5 days) and start fixing it with friends.

If anyone is interested I can make a photo journal of work done on it.

Going to replace the cover generator, oil cooler, coolant reservoir and put seals on the front forks.

I'm learning so much from overall experiences and so far I'm saving 600 bucks from unecessary labor and highly marked up prices on parts from dealer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts