Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In what situations do you think it's safer to ride faster than traffic? Two instances come to mind: 1 when you're riding in dense traffic in the left lane, passing cars on the right. 2 And there are also those times when you're on a fairly open country road and want to stay in front of lumps of cagers behind you. In other words, do you go to extremes to stay away from cagers--ride however fast to keep well in front of them?

·
Registered
460 Posts
on higways I like to stay in the right hand position of the far most left lane. You have less to worry about, because people are not getting on and off. Slow down speed up. Like a far right hand lane. If the highway is a couple of lanes wide. That will also eleminate anybody for the most part mearging from your left. I ride in the right lane position, becuaes I feel that, that is the best spot you are going to be seen. I never ride center and left had lane you are hidden. I usually try to only go a bit faster then traffic on my right, if you are flying by people you are a target.

·
Registered
577 Posts
ESanders2 said:
In what situations do you think it's safer to ride faster than traffic? Two instances come to mind: 1 when you're riding in dense traffic in the left lane, passing cars on the right. 2 And there are also those times when you're on a fairly open country road and want to stay in front of lumps of cagers behind you. In other words, do you go to extremes to stay away from cagers--ride however fast to keep well in front of them?
On surface sreets always, I make exceptions when I'm using a cage as cover when I cross an intersection, doesn't matter how fast I ride there is always; always a moron in a cage who has to try to show me up, I let them pass unless they try to do it in my lane, sitting in a group of cages traveling at the same speed as them is a wreck waiting to happen, they'll move over on you in a heartbeat, the cage drivers seem to think that because they are in the car that you (the motorcyclest) should get the hell out of the way. So I say the more space you can put between you and the rest of the barely conscious pond scum driving the cage the better.:2cents:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sitting in a group of cages traveling at the same speed as them is a wreck waiting to happen
Agree with that;) I sometimes debate whether passing the car in front of me in an open, but no-passing zone road is better than sitting in between a bunch of cages. Usually I opt for the pass

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I'll pass on double lines (on raods I know) if I can see far enough ahead. Like you said, better than sitting amongst them.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

My preferred technique is to stick to the left lane and move 10 m.p.h. faster than surrounding traffic whenever possible. This ensures that I'm approaching most "situations" rather than having them creep-up from behind.

When out on the open highway, I don't run with a pack and either slow or accelerate as needed to ensure that I'm not mixed with a group of automobiles. This prevents one from falling into someone's blindspot.

As mentioned by Fatman below, I'll use a vehicle (the larger the better) as cover when moving through intersections with two or more lanes in each direction. This will prevent some daydreamer from turning left in front of you.

Good luck out there! :cheers:

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can someone explain to me the using a vehicle for cover concept?:confused:

At most intersections the cars turn on green arrows so they wouldn't be turning left at their own discretion right?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ESanders2 said:
Can someone explain to me the using a vehicle for cover concept?:confused:
When approaching an intersection on a four-lane road, you stay close to another vehicle in front of, beside or behind you.

The reason is that people who wouldn't think twice about pulling out in front of your motorcycle are less enthusiastic about pulling out in front of an Escalade and a motorcycle....really works....

At most intersections the cars turn on green arrows so they wouldn't be turning left at their own discretion right? [/B]

Only in Cali...Most other places the majority of intersections left turns are at the drivers' discretion....

It's better to always be moving at a speed that takes you slowly through traffic. That way, you control where, when , and how you interact with traffic around you. Staying in the middle of a herd or allowing a lot of traffic to pass you is kind of like casting your fate to the wind. You can't really see the cars approaching you because they're coming at you fom an oblique angle or from the rear. You have to hope they don't drift into your lane as they pass you, or run up on you from behind. If they're not paying attention as they close in on you, well....

I know I'm paying attention, so I'd rather be the one who controls how I approach traffic.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Rundog said:
When approaching an intersection on a four-lane road, you stay close to another vehicle in front of, beside or behind you.

The reason is that people who wouldn't think twice about pulling out in front of your motorcycle are less enthusiastic about pulling out in front of an Escalade and a motorcycle....really works....

Only in Cali...Most other places the majority of intersections left turns are at the drivers' discretion....

It's better to always be moving at a speed that takes you slowly through traffic. That way, you control where, when , and how you interact with traffic around you. Staying in the middle of a herd or allowing a lot of traffic to pass you is kind of like casting your fate to the wind. You can't really see the cars approaching you because they're coming at you fom an oblique angle or from the rear. You have to hope they don't drift into your lane as they pass you, or run up on you from behind. If they're not paying attention as they close in on you, well....

I know I'm paying attention, so I'd rather be the one who controls how I approach traffic.
Rundog hit the nail right on the head. I like to think of cross traffic as giant, talking monkey controlled (guided; they aren't really in control) bullets,...with wheels. If you put another giant bullet with wheels between you and cross traffic your chance of survival goes up, a whole bunch! :2cents: ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well I commute in Houston traffic when the weather is any where near decent and I firmly believe in moving about 10-15 mph faster then traffic. Its much better to be moving and be noticed then to blend in with the traffic. It also keeps most of the danger in front of you with only an occasional cage going faster that catches up from the rear.

That said, if I find a nice cushion area with a pack of cars way in front and a pack of cars in back I will settle in this area until the cushion gets squeezed down by the packs.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Every situation is a good time to be going faster then traffic. Alot faster! :twofinger

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
I rather be infront of traffic myself.. but I won't ride like a bat out of hell to do so... If I have to temporarily speed up to get past someone I dont' like riding behind I will do so.. but it dont' bother me to follow just one car if they are doing the same speed as me.. I will not follow something I can not see over or through or around easily.. I will at that point do what I have to to get around him without putting myself into too much danger :p I feel it limits my ability to be prepared for road conditions (not just physical road itself but traffic and all) ahead if I'm behind someone blocking my view...

When I do choose to follow someone I ride in the far left of the lane positioning myself so that I can see the face of the driver in his side view mirror and rear view mirror... ensuring I am not in his blind spot... also detering the possiblity of other cars who may wish to push their chances with passing and thinking they could lane share with me :rolleyes: also makes you more visible to oncoming traffic as well.. for those who like to jump out from behind a car they are trying to pass as soon as the car ahead of you passes them goin the other way...

E.
alot to think about when on the road and on a bike... :2cents:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
E, I ride in exactly the same manner and for the same reasons. :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
All this sounds pretty comon. If I'm stuck in traffic I usually try to drive up in front of the car next to me then look him in the eyes till he looks at me like "What the fuck are you looking at?" then drop back right next to his window so he can't lose me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts