Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CBR929RR and I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to do fairly quick starts without putting too much wear and tear on the bike. Thanks

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I'm assuming you're not joking, so I'll resist being a smartass. You are not going to hurt that bike by taking off like a bat outa hell. Just make sure you break it in properly FIRST, be smooth with your application of power and on the clutch, and keep the rubber side down. Think about the bike you bought and what it's capable of. It's made to go fast and it'll take all you can dish out and more, just be smart about it and respect it. Ride safe.

·
Registered
296 Posts
bslye said:
Are you telling me that you can't burn a clutch out doing starts?
Bro, the only way that you're going to hurt that bike coming off the line hard, is by slipping the clutch half-way or all the way through first. If you know how to get off the clutch w/o slipping it all the way to hell and back, without lofting the front wheel straight up, then you'll be fine. My suggestion, if you are looking for one, is to practice your hole shots on your street, parking lot, or whatever, where no one else is gonna be. Start out at 4000 rpm's and come off the clutch, not too fast, but don't slip it. Then gradually work your way up. Hold you clutch in only far enough that it doesn't engage, you'll be able to feel the point at which it engages and disengages. Just practice dry-hops untill you get comfortable launching it w/o slipping the clutch much. Once the clutch fully engages, you aren't going to burn the steels or fibers, so you have free reign to nail the throttle as much as you're comfortable w/ it. Just practice somewhere that you aren't gonna launch you're bike into anything, or anyone, else. It's not as hard on your bike as you must think.;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
there's a really good article in motorcyclist, or maybe cycle world, but I think motorcyclist about fast starts for drag racing etc. You should check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts