Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
My mom always tells me to "be careful" everytime i go out. And when people ask her if i "go fast", she says "i dont ask".

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
My family is about 600 miles away. Mom and Dad don't like it but they don't give me too hard of a time. They haven't broached the subject of me racing yet. I think they are in denial. Dad will be painfully aware of it in 4 weeks when he, my brother and two nephews drive to Talledega to watch me. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have wanted to buy a Sportbike for almost a year and it will still be some time before I can ride, I have yet to tell my family that I want to. I feel like keeping it too my self for now, something that is just mine. I know they will think it is dangerous as well.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My family is split on the idea. My parents are ok and then, not ok. I was required to take safety courses for the bike years before I bought one. I even took another after I had one. They know that I will be safe and there is nothing they can do to change my fate. If it was meant to be, it will happen. (goes for everything)

I also have the other side. There are people in my family that feel they are death machines. They see no need in having one and feel I should always be in a car. Their opinions were strenghtened when I was nearly killed on a bike back in Nov of 2000. It is understandable how they feel. However they do not know the feeling of being on one and being able to explore the extremes and passions of riding.

My advice to you is to stay focused on your desire to ride. If you really want to ride you eventually will.

When you are riding... Ride smart, Ride safe, and Ride for tomorrow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am over 21, so I do not have to ask anyone to do anything. I have read about all the bad things that can happen and I am not to triled of the idea of getting hurt,[Who is?]I will ride good and as safe as I can and not worry about it. I do not want to live inside a box and never do anything because I may get hurt.

What happend in November of 2000? Was it someone else that put you in danger?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I don't have to ask, BUT...

My parents are as ok with me riding as can be expected. I tend to pick the rough sports so they're used to it by now. They still have the right to complain and I still have the right to ignore them. :) Now my grandmother on the other hand... whoa. Let's just say I'm never taking my bike to see her when I finally get my own. I like living on the edge, but I'm not THAT stupid. :eek: :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
They dont like it but I am bigger than them.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
well the younger kids in my neighborhood all watch in awe as i start my bike up, sometimes i give them a little power wheelie out of first, my parents were kinda scared at first but now do not seem to care that much, about the same attitude as when i first started to drive a car :twofinger

·
Registered
68 Posts
Stepmom: I wouldnt co-sign for you even if i could.... WHAT ARE YOU DOING!... your going to kill yourself

Dad: Your an idiot!...... your going to kill yourself

Mom: *shakes her head*

Grandma: HELL NO i wont co-sign.... Your going to kill yourself, you drive to fast... I will buy you a helmet (lol ya i know!)

Girlfriends parents: Its a great idea! You should have gotten one a while ago!

Girlfriend: I dont think you should get a new car, why dont you look at motorcycles? (sure enough i bought one!)

-----------------------------------

I got my bike without the co-signer that i NEEDED before. I had to put a crap load of money down tho :finger:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd have to second the theory earlier mentioned that my family is generally resigned by the fact that I've always chosen to do "hairbrained" things. They don't like it but they're used to it. They actually ask me to not say anything about what I'm doing until it's over. They've never not freaked out about all of the injuries that I've sustained...and they never fail to remind me of them. But they know that I'm going to do it one way or another so they try to be supportive. They're not crazy about my flying or skydiving, either. Oh well. The rest of my family constantly chastizes me for though...given the opportunity they give me an earful or else try to be a bit more tactful and tell me how they think I'm finally growing up and will soon grow out of my hoodlum phase. Whatever. I've never listened to them before and guessing that they don't actually expect me to start now. BY the way, while I"m on the topic...I"ve found guys that are somewhat supportive of my bike riding, and even go so far as to pretend to dig it for awhile. BUt then the truth seeps out and they lay on the guilt trip about how I spend more time and effort on my bikes than them and it becomes a jealousy issue...guys. Whatever. THAT"S WHY I'M SINGLE! Anyway, I won't go off on a tangent....

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I told my wife I was going to get a bike, she thought I'd gone nuts. We'd been together for 20 years, so she was kind of shocked by it. She said, "No ! You're not going to get a motorcycle ! I know you, you'll kill yourself." (Used to be a bicycle racer and came home with road rash or damaged bike many times). But I wore her down. Now, she's okay with it, just says "Be careful," when I go for a ride. She's great.

The kids ? They thought it was totally cool. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
biglipps66 said:
Girlfriends parents: Its a great idea! You should have gotten one a while ago!
[/B]
So what you are saying is that your girlfriend's parents really don't like you. :D :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dad: Yes! Ride! Harleys preferable.

Step-mom: Yes! Ride! Whatever you want.

Mom: Yes! Ride! But I wouldn't do it.

Kids: Yes! Ride! Get a Ducati, Mom! A red one! Those things are sweet!

Others: Yes, Ride! So long as it's a cruiser, and no bigger than a 250 (???).

Umm...okay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Everyone's been pretty supportive-
Mom- "be careful and have fun"
Dad- "I can't picture you on one... be careful, a bike is pretty powerful."
Sisters- "Take me for a ride!" or "I can't believe you got a bike!"
Brother-in-laws response- "Why can't your sister be more like you!" (didn't receive a nice look from my sister- oops!)
Boyfriend- "Babe, that's so sexy!"

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've had this one over a year now .Mom and dad still don't know.why should I give them something to worry about?(Dad is a retired doctor)but when growing up bought me a honda 50 .when 18 I bought a dual purpose yamaha enduro. they said you're nuts! wife and kids dont mind at all. Actually my parents had a permissive side to them. They even let (back in the late 60"s) my sister and I order a pet alligator from an alligator farm in Florida when it was still legal to buy them!! WHAT were they thinking??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Parents : what they dont know cant hurt me
My kids : Go Mom Go!!!!!!!!
friends and co workers : when will you take us out
My kids are the most important and they really love the fact i am out my olodest (15) is a real worrier but she says i kno yoiull be safe mom now go and babysits so i can

1 - 20 of 22 Posts