Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put on a 4-degree 'Factory' ignition advancer. Havn't got the chance yet to really see if the bike has more power, but does anyone else have one on thier bike? It was a very quick and easy bolt on and supposedly it is good for at least a few ponies.

Anyone?

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I put the same thing on my bike, but I'm not sure how much power, if any, it added. I think it may have helped in the mid and upper ranges, but it might just be psychological. If anyone is going to put one on a SuperHawk, have the shop do it. What a huge pain in the ass! If not, I wish you luck, lots of luck...

------------------
C'mon guys! It's all ball bearings these days!...STC

·
Registered
23 Posts
I asked that question in here a while ago and got mixed replies. The few who did answer thought it helped with a few horsepower, but more so with throtle response. For a 95" zx9 one guy said to try retarding the ignition by 3degrees. Said to try a zx6 ignition box. Don't know have to find a dyno and see for sure.

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, went and got another dyno run today. heres the verdict:

Definately kicked the bottom end up by about 3 HP.

Midrange was unchanged from about 6K through 10K RPM.

Top end got less, but OVERALL about 2 or 3 HP and extended the useable power out a bit longer, although max HP was only 1 HP or so more.

So my bike now makes about 91 RWHP. (not bad for having no cam or cylinder work)

So id say it was worth the $50.00

:) :) :) :)

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited August 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stp by the shop tomorrow to order one. Any reason why you chose the Factory advancer instead of, say, the V&H?

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just dont like v&h stuff. If thats a reason....

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know if they make ignition advancers that can be adjusted? 2,3, 4,degrees. uhhh, sorry if that's a stupid question..

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes they make adjustable ones. But you'll pay more. Is it worth that much to ya? I figured $50,00 was pushing it for just a few HP on bottom and top.

------------------
Fear Green.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts