Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been messing around doing wheelies. Getting on it, letting off, then back on it. Works OK but looking for some opinions. Anybody with an F4, where are your rpms at. Sorry about wearing out this wheelie topic. Thought some F4 owners could help me out. Thanks.

------------------

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fellow F4 rider.... I have an '99 F4 (yellow/black) and need your help regarding wheelies. I have only brought the front up once and it was by accident; I was peeling out from a stop light and let the clutch out too quick and up she went. I would like to get the front up while riding though, not from a stop. My bike has a new exhaust system(TwoBros C5 Xmetal) and is re-jetted but I cannot seem to bring up with throttle alone. Could it be my size? (5'11" ~210lbs). Can you please advise me as to what I could be doing wrong. Thanks in advance for replies.

Carlos

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Go for the jet kit dude. I did it myself and it makes a HUGE difference. I will eventually have it tuned on a dyno, then I will REALLY be in business. Even my current setup is great though. So much mid and top end power. I can keep up with mybuddy's '96 900rr. I love this Kit man. It was the Factory® Config. 10 kit. I went up one jet size in each carb. Outer: .132 to .135 Inner: .135 to .138

4 from the top on the metering rods and 3 turns out on the air/fuel screws.

I know I can get even more power out of it once I dyno tune it, so I really am looking forward to that. I'll let you know when I get the time/money to do that. Anyway...to summarize: It was worth the money 10x over. Go for it, you'll be extremely happy.

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
jOrdan92, I think that your size can only be an advantage in the wheelie dept. You have some weight that can be transferred to the rear. Just make sure you are sitting toward the rear of the seat and not up close to the tank. I'm not sure about the F4 but I had an F3 and can only assume the F4 has more wheelie potential. On the F3, I would let off the throttle and get back on it around 6000 rpm when it was just starting to come into the power. Usually resulted in nice, predictable wheelies.

------------------
"It's better to be dead and cool than to be alive and uncool." -Harley from Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hey you two, help has arrived! :D

YelloF4: Since your bike is stock, I'll deal with you first. (I'm assuming it's stock)

All you need to do is this: In first, take the bike to 5500-6000rpm. It doesn't matter how you get it there, half throttle, full throttle, whatever. Once up there, close the throttle TOTALLY and then Open it WIDE OPEN! This should take less then a second, it's that quick. At the same time you open it back up, give a little tug on the bars, it should come right up. If you still have trouble, although I can't see why you would, but if you do, move your ass back in the seat, like up against the angled section leading to the "bitch seat". Lemme know how it goes, and remember: COVER THE REAR BRAKE!!!

j0rdan92: Your bike is closer to my current setup. I am 6'1" and weigh 180. I guess we're kinda close, although your weight will give you a slight advantage if used correctly. OK, here goes: My bike has a Yosh Competition Slip-On and a Factory Config. 10 jet kit with a K&N filter.

First off, with a full system and a jet kit, you should be freakin' Star Boy material, so lets get you some help my man!!

Number one - Peel out wheelies are BAD. Too unpredictable and usually results in the front end coming down HARD. Yes go ahead and cry for your forks and steering head bearings. Then go do some nice wheelies w/soft landings and show them you love them.

OK, sorry for rambling. I'll be helpful now.

When I installed my jet kit (yes, I did it myself), I ended with a KILER hit above 6500rpm. This is what I do to launch some MEAN-ASS wheelies.

First I bring it up to 6500 in first gear, then off the throttle and back on HARD in less than a second. I mean do it FAST! No need to pull up for me, shouldn't be for you if you move your ass back in the seat as mentioned above. When you get back on the throttle hard, the bike should come up smoothly, but it will hit redline faster than you think and start to cut out. Don't let that happen. Become in tune with your bike, knowing by the sound of the engine before it's gonna hit the rev limiter. Before this happens, shift into second. I use the clutch, some don't. It depends on how fast you can shift using the lever. If you can't do it fast, just let off the throttle, then jam the shifter up to second, then back on the throttle FULL again. This MUST be done VERY FAST. Your bike will REALLY be in a nice lookin' wheelie at this time. You should be able to keep it up for awhile in second by using the throttle to control the angle of your wheelie. Just ride the wheelie out and the bike will kinda bring the front down softly all by itself. I've never tried third gear, but you can and let me know how it works.

One thing: wear back protection. The F4's hit in second from the first gear wheelie might throw you off. It is stronger than you think. Make sure you cover the rear brake too, that way you can bring it down FAST if need be. Hope this helps dude. Lemme know of your success when you get it down (or is it up? :D).

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited June 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Advice here looks good. I'm 6'5'', 200 pounds and I don't have to pull up either. First gear, take it to about 6000rpm, let off it, as soon as you feel the bike bog down and the forks compress, HIT IT! She'll come right up.
Don't sit there staring at the tach to make sure it's at 6000, keep your eyes ahead of you and on the road. I also find that it comes up a lot easier when the tank is less than half full. If it's full it may be tough to get it up. I ride the best wheelies when my gas light is on. Let us know how you make out.

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. I'm about the same size as you, Mhammill so if it works for you it should work for me. Are you able to get into second gear with it up? I notice your bike must be tricked out. Do you have any pictures? Thanks again to everybody, keep you informed.

------------------

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, Do just as CBR Brutha says above. Once you figure out how to ride out first gear and you feel comfortable with it, let off the throttle for a split second and kick it into second without clutching. Make sure you get right back on the throttle and it will stay up. Once you get that that mastered you can start downshifting on the thruway and clutching it up!!
I'm trying to learn to wheelie while sitting up on the tank with my legs spread, but no luck yet.....I've been watching too many StarBoyz tapes! I'm not sure the F4 has the torque to do that, I need a 929RR.
I don't have pictures yet...I'm working on it. Take it slow.

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mhammill:

I'm trying to learn to wheelie while sitting up on the tank with my legs spread, but no luck yet.....I've been watching too many StarBoyz tapes! I'm not sure the F4 has the torque to do that, I need a 929RR.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, I have laid on the tank of my CBR and I still can't stop it from coming up. I don't know what you have done to your bike, but if you wanna do that, you have to jet it, then it should be no problem for you either. Good luck...lemme know if you figure it out.

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey CBR Brutha, can you give me some specifics on your jet kit. I've been kicking the idea around. I've had such split opinions. Are you happy with it, do you feel it was worth the cash. Actually I guess I've had more negative opinions than positive. I don't know what to do!

------------------

·
Registered
331 Posts
I want to learn how to do stoppies like Tom Cruise. I watched the movie and have tried to do what he does but it doesn't work. I go really fast and pull in the clutch but nothing happens. I've tried pulling it in fast, slow, jerking it and still Nothing! Damn it he made it look so easy. Can anyone help? :D

------------------
Ride Fast. Take Chances.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Easy there, you're gonna kill yourself! Stoppies have nothing to do with the clutch, it's all front brake and balance. I saw the movie and it did look cool, but it will take years before you can ride a stoppie that far. I'm warning you, I've seen more of my friends wreck their bikes trying stoppies than any other trick.......you better invest in some frame sliders. Careful!

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

·
Registered
873 Posts
f4gd, before you can do those cool tricks, you need to pic up a set of the new Michelin ChameleoTread MT/GT tires they used. Youll also need the wiring kit and hardware for the tread solenoids, one for front and one for rear. I have been running mine for a month now, (cost a fortune) and so far i only figured out the 50mph accelerating rear tire burn out side saddle move last week. But i tell ya, its great for goin four wheeling offroad right after the twisties!!

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just remember...it was a movie. Wires...sweet sweet wires. All my non-bike friends didn't notice the tire change in the movie. At least they had him pull his gun out with his clutch hand.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cbr600f4gd:
I want to learn how to do stoppies like Tom Cruise. I watched the movie and have tried to do what he does but it doesn't work. I go really fast and pull in the clutch but nothing happens. I've tried pulling it in fast, slow, jerking it and still Nothing! Damn it he made it look so easy. Can anyone help? :D

Bwaaaaahahahahahahahaha!!! You got 'em going
Geoff.... Hehehehehe :D :D

Guys, let me let you in on a secret.. Geoff
is joking!!!! Hehehehahahahohohoho!!! Oh My
God thanks Geoff I really needed a good
laugh. It doesn't take years to learn how
to ride endos...?? I did it by accident the
first few times as most people do.. You have
to pull in the clutch and stick your foot
on the front tire... But you couldn't see
that fron the camera angle... HEHEHE :D :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
It's nice to have one of the biggest...

·
Registered
186 Posts
One way to do wheelies that most people never mention is the old down shifting trick. Go about 30 in 2nd gear. Then pull in the clutch and down shift. As you feather the clutch...pen the throttle open. Between the clutch and the throttle you can do some predictable wheelies...then again you can also flip easy too. I'm assuming this puts a lot of wear on your clutch though...maybe that's why it's frowned upon.

------------------

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
DEFINITELY not the recommended way to do a wheelie...EVER. I've tried, and the few times I did, I almost looped the thing. Bad idea...always better to use throttle only. Not only does this conserve clutch material, but it is also more predictable and easier to control.

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, guys, I hate to break it to you, but the clutch method of doing wheelies is ultimately more predictable, and gives the rider much more control. And endo wheelies? Just remember that speed is actually your friend, and try to put as much weight on the front wheel as possible. Make sure you begin by compressing the springs with light brake pressure before you really squeeze. It should look something like this...

Good luck! :D

PS: Feel free to join me at www.Sportbikes.Net
------------------
The Reverend Horton Heat Rules.

[This message has been edited by RevFan (edited June 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can't help but feel like your forks are crying. "Why is he so mean to us?" "He does it because he loves us."

------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts