Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the oddness of the situation:

At about 110-120 miles after a full tank of gas, the fuel reserve light comes on, and it's "yellow." The manual says when the tank is getting low on fuel, the fuel reserve light should come on, but the light should be "red." Now the thing is, the light should be coming on at about when .79 gallon is left on the tank. And the entire tank holds about 4.5 gallons. Right. So the light comes on after said miles and I go to a gas station to fill it up, and the strange thing is, it only fills about 1.8 - 2.5 gallons to fill up the entire tank. Now if you're keeping up with the numbers, if my reserve light comes on when it's .79 gallon left, then I should be filling up at least 3.7 gallons worth of fuel. So not only am I getting less mpg, but numbers don't seem to make sense either.

Is that yellow fuel reserve light should be turning red after a while? Because I have no idea.

Also when I had to detach the tank, I had to unplug the fuel sensor wires, and it seems they're plugged where they should be, since my fuel reserve indicator seems to work. So what could be the possible malfunction? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,911 Posts
Might be something wrong with your sensor.

The light will not turn different colors. It's a single color LED.

110-120 miles sounds about right for that light to come on. Are you filling the tank almost to the rim or are you just pulling out the nozzle when it stops? You should get between 140-160 miles on a tank. It will differ if you are city riding, highway riding or on the wick constantly.

If all else fails and you are curious, open up the gas cap and shake the bike back and forth and look inside to see how much gas is left. That is what people had to do on the CBR 600 prior to 1999 when they came out with the fuel light. They only could rely on mileage and physically opening the tank and looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
Most reserves are very conservative. Mine is supposed to be about .8 gallons but is every bit of 1+. I discovered it the same way you are talking, not filling as the math would dictate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When the nozzle stops, I still pump some more until it stops for 2 or 3 times. I can tell it's also full just by looking at the top rim.

On the older bikes like FZR, I kept track through odo and felt if the tank was light by moving it back and forth. Never really had to switch the valve to reserve. But since SV, I grown accustom to looking at the indicator, where it will flash when the fuel is low and remain still when it's less than 1 gallon.

May be on next maintenance, I'll take the tank off and drain the fuel just to check how much gas I can really pump into the tank (even if it says 4.49).

It's struck me strange because why would light come on early even when there's 2 gallons of fuel left?

P.S. Since I didn't notice this before, I thought I was getting really bad mileage and presumed some problems with the bike. But when it hit me other day. 90-120 miles out of 1.8-2.5 gallons is actually pretty good mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
reply's probbly late but my f4 gets 47mpg (on the average)... thats ordinary day.. meaning cruise 75% of the time then the other 25% i gun the throttle... got a little above 200 miles out of one tank (4.6 gallons when I refilled)

the gas light comes on depending on the incline the bike is on... I notice this when I was riding up in the mountains... I knew I still had pretty good amount of gas in the tank but my gas indicator was lit (i think i was going uphill & doing a lot of knee dragging on left side)... after a while I get to more even pavement, the light turned off.. stopped, opened up the tank.. then shined a LED light I have on my key and looked at the gas... still plenty.. so I think that makes a difference though

but like I said most of the time I get 200+ miles, now sometimes when I'm really heavy on the throttle, esp when i'm riding twisties where i keep rpms 6-7k... I get just about 110mph give or take...
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top