Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
F-111 "Dump and Burn"

This video is from Saturday night. We have this huge fireworks show every year in Brisbane (an hour from my place). It goes for half an hour and is set to music that's played over one of the local radio stations. The whole show is broadcast on TV, too, which is where this clip comes from.

They have fireworks shooting from barges in the river, from the tops of buildings and all over one of the main bridges.

The whole thing kicks off and ends with a fly over and "dump and burn" by two F-111 jet fighters from a nearby Airforce base.

The video just doesn't do it justice. These things come in about 400' above the city, fly down the river and then climb for the stars.

One of the amazing things is that they fly over my town on their way. What takes us an hour to traverse, only takes them 40 seconds!!

"Let's kick the tyres and light the fires!"

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
It is probably something great to see, but I am not keen on fireworks. Not something that frightened me as a child, but back in '64 & even to this time in life, I noted how some of the fireworks were very loud & hard on my ears (I feel sure that it is the same to others of basically all ages)----so when there is one going on in this area I might only watch them, from my home, with a good set of muffs I would use at the gun range. Though in most cases I choose to ignore the waste of money on fireworks.

Still back to '64 I knew this family well & with the little girl of around 4 or 5 yrs of age they were at a good position to watch it like hundreds of others, though unfortunately a hot one landed in her gum boot & the pretty little girl has never been able to walk properly since---crippled for life.

The Corporation of Summerland THEN realized fireworks would have to be farther away from the public, & even to close for some yrs later & still have it back if from the present position. Like it has been moved at least 5-6 times farther back then in '64. Though in a while they will have to realize it should be farther away from the spectators.

Besides the places that have these on, & that is more then once a year, are wasting money on fireworks which tells you they are wasting away money that could be used in a more sensible manner that could compensate the town or city of their place for some yrs times like making good trails, preserve lagoons to swamp areas & such.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, they are loud. People anywhere near the area have to make sure their dogs are locked-up well or they'll do a runner when the booming starts.

The fireworks show is part of a huge river festival we have every year. Sure, it costs a lot, but the money that it brings in to local businesses is phenomenal. People start arriving from early in the morning, just to have a good view of it all. It stretches over a couple of kilometres of the river. There's also other aerial shows on during the day, including the Roulettes and military helicopter displays.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevlar7R said:
I love fireworks! I can't get enough of them. I was a pyrotechnician for several years. Shooting professional pyrotechnics is on par with track time for adrenaline!
They do look awesome, hey? This show is always amazing. As I said, it goes for 1/2 an hour and is set to music.

Here's a cool time-lapse pic I found of the D&B.

An another note, but still the same topic, we rode my bike into the city to watch the show. Much easier to find a spot to park, but we still had a hard time as cops were EVERYWHERE, stopping people from parking anywhere close to the river. We kept stopping and asking the cops if they could help us out, but to no avail.

Eventually, though, we found a m/c cop who let us park on the footpath right near his bike. He was there the whole time, so I effectively had a police guard on my bike! How cool is that?! :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
Very cool, cookee!!! :thumbs2:

Pittsburgh, PA is a city full of fireworks junkies... but I must say that our Independence Day celebration is truly shamed by that display!!!

As for taking the bikes... I learned several years ago that bikes are the only way to go. Here, they shut down the roads going up to the best viewing spot hours before dark, so the only way to get up to the best view is to take the bikes up the sidewalks. ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow Cookee, that looks amazing! Whenever there is and airshow here in Toronto, there are always jets and other military aircraft flying low over my house ( I seem to be en route from a military airfield to pearson airport) Its totally amazing the speed and agility of these fighter aircraft!

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Oh, how I love seeing the flying Zippo. I think the B-58 "Hustler" was one of the first aircraft where the pilots realized that using fuel dump & afterburner at the same time made for one heck of a show. I remember my grandpa telling me about the first time he saw it done, and the ground crew went nuts thinking the aircraft had burst into flames.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Smitty said:
It is probably something great to see, but I am not keen on fireworks. Not something that frightened me as a child, but back in '64 & even to this time in life, I noted how some of the fireworks were very loud & hard on my ears (I feel sure that it is the same to others of basically all ages)----so when there is one going on in this area I might only watch them, from my home, with a good set of muffs I would use at the gun range. Though in most cases I choose to ignore the waste of money on fireworks.

Still back to '64 I knew this family well & with the little girl of around 4 or 5 yrs of age they were at a good position to watch it like hundreds of others, though unfortunately a hot one landed in her gum boot & the pretty little girl has never been able to walk properly since---crippled for life.

The Corporation of Summerland THEN realized fireworks would have to be farther away from the public, & even to close for some yrs later & still have it back if from the present position. Like it has been moved at least 5-6 times farther back then in '64. Though in a while they will have to realize it should be farther away from the spectators.

Besides the places that have these on, & that is more then once a year, are wasting money on fireworks which tells you they are wasting away money that could be used in a more sensible manner that could compensate the town or city of their place for some yrs times like making good trails, preserve lagoons to swamp areas & such.

BAH Humbug, Smitty!! :D

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
wonder how much fuel that wasted

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Tippmann said:
wonder how much fuel that wasted
Bah Humbug to you too Tippmann! :D

Geez, what a buncha buzzkills here! Hey Cookee, I think that's an awesome display. Would've liked to have seen that myself. Looks like you and the missus had a good time.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
just curious you wankers. I figured with those giant fireballs it would have to be hundreds of gallons

·
Registered
258 Posts
Tippmann said:
just curious you wankers. I figured with those giant fireballs it would have to be hundreds of gallons
Are you kidding? I carry maybe a half pint of fuel on my 'Rip and Burn' (foul) Air show, which involves walking by my co-workers office and 'Rip' one from the tail end, and watch as their eyes well up from the 'Burn' portion of the show!
When done properly, it only takes a small amount of 'vaporized' fuel to create such a dazzling display. Especially following the heat of a real jet.:twofinger

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tippmann said:
You made it sound like you were p*ssed that they wasted fuel, not like you were curious as to how much fuel is required, wanker. ;)

FTR, I believe it was somewhere in the order of a couple of tonnes of fuel.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
cookeetree said:
You made it sound like you were p*ssed that they wasted fuel, not like you were curious as to how much fuel is required, wanker. ;)

FTR, I believe it was somewhere in the order of a couple of tonnes of fuel.
that the fuck's a "tonnes"

god damn i ate my icy too fast and i think my head's going to explode

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
nevermind, found the answer to my own question

One tonne is equivalent to:

2205 lb (rough but good enough for most calculations since loading (worst case) is usually the concern of interest)

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
snakesht said:
Almost forgot I had this lurking around my pc...
Nice pic, mate! :thumb:

The shame of it all is that the F-111 will be decomissioned down here in the next few years and we'll only have FA-18's and the JSF, neither of which (as I understand it) can do a D & B. :crying:

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
If I remember correctly, the common trend is to put the fuel dump towards the outer trailing edge of the wings. F-111's may have had to improvise because of the variable-geometry wing or something. I have never seen an F/A-18 dump fuel, and as for the JSF... well the picture says enough about how I feel about it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts