Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In PA and the surrounding states we have something called EZ pass. You stick it on your windshield and toll payment is automatically deducted from your account when you pass a toll. I was reading about how it HAS to be mounted in the center of your windshield for it to read properly. I was wondering if anyone knows where I should put it on my bike so it can still read.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I don't know where to put it, but I'd try to figure out a way to make it removable. I could see some jerk-off stealing it if it's on there all the time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've got the same problem here in NYC and to be honest, I don't bother carrying it if I know the booth doesn't have barriers - EZ-Pass just deduct the money from my account by checking the photograph they take of my license plate as I ride through.

I have heard of people doing the following though:

* sticking it to the windshield using velcro (doesn't seem too safe to me)

* getting the EZ-Pass that fits on car license plates (thin black one), chop the ends off where you're meant to attach it to the plate and then use bungee cords or something similar to fix it to the top of your triple clamp/tree/whatever the damn top bit of the bike is called.

* buy a sports armband holder for a Sony Minidisk player, wedge the normal motorcycle EZ-Pass in it and then wear it on your sleeve.

If I was to do it, I'd probably go for one of the last 2.

Andrew

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hope you fella's aren't plannin' on doin' anything over the limit while usin' your EZ PASS. My uncle has one in his truck and he loves to speed. So much so that he has already received 2 tickets in the mail. NO LIE! Apparently, when you use it at a toll and get to another toll, everything is entered electronically, well, they calculate the distance and the average speed limit and figure out approx. how long it should take to get to that second toll, and if you get there faster than they calculated then you get a speedin' ticket, F*&KED UP, HUH!! I don't know if everyone gets one or the only the real violators, I don't know, but I guess Big Bro. really is watchin' now, I'll pass on the EZ pass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here in Florida we have e-pass or sun-pass, I guess its the same thing. I have mine attached with velcro under the rear seat cowl. It reads through plastic with no problem. I've never had it not pick up the scensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont think that EZpass is allowed to share your information like that with local authorities unless they ask for it specifically I guess. I drive up to boston almost every couple of months averaging 80-95 mph all the way up in a cage. Most of the time I drive early early morning so traffic is not an issue and have yet to get a ticket like that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
DaBatty1 said:
I hope you fella's aren't plannin' on doin' anything over the limit while usin' your EZ PASS. My uncle has one in his truck and he loves to speed. So much so that he has already received 2 tickets in the mail. NO LIE! Apparently, when you use it at a toll and get to another toll, everything is entered electronically, well, they calculate the distance and the average speed limit and figure out approx. how long it should take to get to that second toll, and if you get there faster than they calculated then you get a speedin' ticket, F*&KED UP, HUH!! I don't know if everyone gets one or the only the real violators, I don't know, but I guess Big Bro. really is watchin' now, I'll pass on the EZ pass.

big ass urban legend...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Good Evening All-

DaBatty1, your uncle is not telling you the whole truth. There was talk of subjecting multi-axle commercial trucks to enhanced observation, speed calculation, and automatic violation determination, but it never came to pass.

The riding and driving public would reduce the E-ZPass program to the proverbial trash heap if moving violations just started showing-up in the mailbox. Professional drivers would protest with intentional slowdowns.

As mentioned by blankgazex, it is an urban legend that your uncle is repeating and has "bought" as the truth.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
54 Posts
He does own a big ass truck but, Oh well there ya go, I'll be back, I'm gonna go beat the truth out my uncle, ....... or just beat his ass for lyin' !!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd just throw the thing in my pocket. I've never had any problem shuffling that thing around, I've had it read it when it was in my glovebox if I was in a different car then the one with the attachers.

Secondly I'm pretty sure the speed laws don't allow for an automated system like that. To be sure you can have that happen in other countries, but we have all sorts of privacy laws that prevent that kind of information from passing to the cops. And most speed laws are worded such that the speed limit is the recommended safe and appropriote speed, not a hard limit. I've appealed two tickets and won both on that premise.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Jamesont said:
And most speed laws are worded such that the speed limit is the recommended safe and appropriote speed, not a hard limit. I've appealed two tickets and won both on that premise.
Hm..maybe I'll try that out when I go to court on Monday for my 85 in a 65 ticket..lol.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
jamesont:
how exactly does this work?
"you honor, i realize that the posted speed limit on said road was 70mph, but given the exceptional braking and handling capabilities of my vehicle, and my superior skill at operating said vehicle, i felt that 95mph was a perfectly safe speed with which to preceed."
I have to say i felt like that quiet a few times (especially since a bike going 100 can stop in less distance then a van going 65, i dont actually know that, but i think its a safe guess) none the less i dont think any cop is ever going to buy that.

Around here i feel that tickets are a road fun tax. if you want to use public roads for more then going from point a to point b, once every few years you willl have to pay a tax, which the county gladly keep off your record. sure you can fight it, but then every cop around is going to be watching YOU!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well first of all I was in the debate club, so I'm quite skilled at putting together a good argument. Look at the Driving Manual for ideas, there is usually a list of reasons for the speed limit.
like:

1) Road Conditions
2) Weather Conditions
3) Traffic Conditions
4) Population Density

I mean I'm only talking like a-little-over-10-over type tickets. If you argue those above points to your advantage, good weather, Road was new, no traffic, and low density or late at night, then you have a lot in your bag to convince a judge.:cool:

Don't bother trying to convince the Cops, its their job to give tickets, the appeal judge is the one to save your argument for. Be VERY polite to said cop since he will be in the court room with you if you appeal it to the top.:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts