Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of some people extending the swingarm on a bike. I am looking to get a bike so have to get something inexpensive for my first bike. Knowing I need to learn and will probably drop it.

I am looking through the bike trader and have come accross a few bikes with extended swing arms... What does this do besides just make the bike look different.

I have been looking through this site for a month or two and have not heard anyone mention why people do this.

·
Registered
195 Posts
When done on a real drag bike, it lengthens the wheelbase and helps keep the front end on the ground under hard acceleration.

When on a street bike, it lengthens the wheelbase, increases the turning radius to that of a schoolbus, turns the handling to crap, and indicates that you shouldn't buy it because the previous owner probably thrashed the engine to within an inch of its' life. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think the bikes listed were drag bikes they looked normal besides the longer swing arm.

·
Registered
195 Posts
No, they weren't drag bikes, kinda like those Honda Accords with huge wings on the decklid aren't IMSA sedan racers.

It's part of the drag bike "look", and it seriously degrades handling on the street, but it looks "butch", and real dragbikes have them, and so kids take street sportbikes (whose manufacturers sweated blood trying to shave millimeters off the wheelbase) and put extended swingarms on them because they think it looks cool.

If all you're going to do is drive it up and down main street, one redlight at a time, for money, it's no biggie. It just speaks volumes about the previous owner of the vehicle, like buying a car that has torched springs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so they are Ricer bikes?!?

thats what i thought. i have been looking at this page along with a few other forums for a few months and seem like if it was a good thing to do more people would have been doing it.

Did not realize the rice look was starting to move into sport bikes.

Kinda sad

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Tamara said:
When done on a real drag bike, it lengthens the wheelbase and helps keep the front end on the ground under hard acceleration.

When on a street bike, it lengthens the wheelbase, increases the turning radius to that of a schoolbus, turns the handling to crap, and indicates that you shouldn't buy it because the previous owner probably thrashed the engine to within an inch of its' life. :D
I like this girl :cool:

·
Registered
591 Posts
ZeroOX said:
What is the purpose of some people extending the swingarm on a bike.
To prove the old axiom: with enough time and money, you can screw up anything! :barf: Anybody that would butcher a highly engineered/designed sportbike like that oughta be beat within an inch of their life! Guess if you're gonna drag race...maybe, but I'm sure the majority of folks doing it are doing so simply for show. Iff'n I was looking to buy a used bike, I wouldn't go near one with an extended swingarm...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts