Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently finshed polishing my frame/subframe/swingarm/rearsets, and it looks pretty good. BUT , I'm just not completely happy with everything yet. The finest sandpaper I can find is 2000 grit, and it worked really well. I was just wondering if there's something out there that's even finer than 2000 grit. I have used 3M Microfinishing Compound on my vehicle's paint, but I'm not sure about using it on bare aluminum. See, once I polish the pieces in question with Mothers, I can still see very fine sanding marks. Can these be removed? Thanks in advance for your input.:)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
did you use any buffing compunds and rouge with a buff???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UglyAngelX:

Nope, not yet. Buffing compound? Rouge, as in jewelers rouge? This is the first polishing I've ever done, so I'm not real knowledgeable about it :confused:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Look up the Eastwood company home page, they will have everything you will need and you can also call them if you are not sure what you need and they will hook you up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UglyAngelX:

Will do. Thanks a bunch for the info :thumb:

·
Registered
499 Posts
also check out a couple other polishing threads in this forum. The member polisher knows pretty much all there is to know about polishing. He has posted links to a website that breaks down polishing step by step and what to use as well as when to use it. It's definately worth a look, I read the whole site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gixxin'It said:
Hello all,

I recently finshed polishing my frame/subframe/swingarm/rearsets, and it looks pretty good. BUT , I'm just not completely happy with everything yet. The finest sandpaper I can find is 2000 grit, and it worked really well. I was just wondering if there's something out there that's even finer than 2000 grit. I have used 3M Microfinishing Compound on my vehicle's paint, but I'm not sure about using it on bare aluminum. See, once I polish the pieces in question with Mothers, I can still see very fine sanding marks. Can these be removed? Thanks in advance for your input.:)
If your through to 2000 grit you can hand polish it using 3 different grades of polish you can get from www.englishcustompolishing.com These polishes are progressive from coarse to super fine, and enhanced. They'll do what you want. Forget the Mothers. That's dull.

·
Registered
11 Posts
F3Bufford said:
also check out a couple other polishing threads in this forum. The member polisher knows pretty much all there is to know about polishing. He has posted links to a website that breaks down polishing step by step and what to use as well as when to use it. It's definately worth a look, I read the whole site.
If you read the whole site, you were there a while!
More articles coming soon. Polishing Frames and weld smoothing or flatting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Polisher:

Hmmm........maybe I shoud have e-mailed you from the "get-go" with the question. Everyone here seems to have high praise for you and your products. I appreciate the info, and I'll be ordering from you soon. Thanks for the info :) :thumb:

·
Registered
499 Posts
polisher said:

If you read the whole site, you were there a while!
More articles coming soon. Polishing Frames and weld smoothing or flatting.
yeah, I spent a few good hour there. But well worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts