Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a nice ride today since it was in the 70s. Anyhow, when I was leaving a local motorcycle shop, I didn't want to walk the bike backwards and take the 'normal exit' out of the small parking lot. So I decided to hop the curve. Bad idea. The curb was a little higher then I expected and was about a 6 inch drop. When I rolled off the curb my headers hits the curb and scrapes it up a bit. After I started to leave and headed for the road, I notice good amount of loud exhaust leaks coming from the headers. Now my question is, is there an easy to the leaks? Some sort of exhuast goup or something to seal it? The leaks come from where the headers bolt onto the block.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
haha, I've done the exact same thing on my last bike, except mine leaked at the collector...

Get a new set of exhaust gaskets (copper rings) take off your collector and replace all the gaskets. When you do, tighten lightly (just enough to crush the gasket) then start the bike, warm it all the way up, let it cool and re-tighten everything.

Dont let the leak go. the closer it is the head the greater the chance that when you turn the bike off the cold air will enter the exhaust and hit the very hot valves and f*ck them up beyound belief.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Vash said:

Get a new set of exhaust gaskets (copper rings) take off your collector and replace all the gaskets. When you do, tighten lightly (just enough to crush the gasket) then start the bike, warm it all the way up, let it cool and re-tighten everything.

Dont let the leak go. the closer it is the head the greater the chance that when you turn the bike off the cold air will enter the exhaust and hit the very hot valves and f*ck them up beyound belief.

+1

-M-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts