Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to lean towards a used Kawa EX500 ('89 - '91) as a first bike. They are cheap, good-looking, and everywhere. My questions: Are they any good? Is the engine reliable? Are there any quirks associated with this bike? And - how does it perform?

------------------
ZeroMan.

Save the frogs. Respect your zeros.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Zero,

Although I opted to get a 96 F3 as my "first" bike (having never ridden), the EX500 was recommeded as an excellent "first bike" by my instructor (of NOVA's MSF course) when I inquired. It was attested to in the mags as "best" cost/performance bike way back when. A buddy of mine who had one was able to keep up with my F3, (but this probably had to do with more of my riding ability than anything else :)); after a year or so, he upgraded to a ZX6R; this could be your option as well. As you cited, it is an excellent choice when weighing all the options. Good luck.

--Tai

------------------

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I had one. The motor is fun, a lot more high rpm zing than in a V-twin. The only weak points are brakes and suspension, and only when compared with full-on sportbikes. Not a very seductive sound though, like a sewing machine with stock pipes and not much character with aftermarket pipes.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

G

·
Yup The brakes and suspension do suck big time , but one characteristic i love about this bike is .. It feels slow until you hit a certain rpm and then POW (please note this is only a small POW) it's like a turbo kicks in! Easy to handle.
I have one opinion when it comes to small bikes, You outgrow them quick and when you do, if you are a squidish moron like me you get to over confident with it and do something stupid!, I'veonly done this twice . on my friends bikes of course (cbx250, klr650 dumped them both) I tried to hit a jump with the cbx and ... and the klr was offroad so ..

Just the rambling's of a borderline schizophrenic.

------------------
Allow myself to introduce myself -- Austin Powers

·
Registered
873 Posts
The EX500 was voted best bike in its class by practically every sportbike mag for something like 5 years in a row. Needless to say this DOES mean something.

It is now dressed as the "Ninja500" as it got a few upgrades and face lift a couple years back, but the heart and soul is still the same.

If youve never ridden a sportbike before, i would suggest this over a GS500E or Honda Hawk. The EX500 is the best value.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
honestly, the honda hawk is way better, but if it's cheap, there's a reason for it.

as for the ex500, the bike you asked about, it not only sounds like a sewing machine but is as rock-solid dependable as one. the frame is out-dated, the suspension is weak, but for most newbies (hell most people who don't have big egos) they work more than adequently. i didn't think the brakes were bad, but i don't use the rear brake, so i wasn't exposed to the drum brake rear. plus i think the one i rode had pads and lines. i think it's a sweet bike that can be bought on the cheap and honestly, you'll probably be faster on it than on a cbr600f1 or fzr600 because it's easy to ride.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My old EX was a great bike to learn on. Handled well and had enough power to spare. I upgraded the suspension with Progressive fork springs and a Koni rear shock, which did help the handling, as did the Bridgestone BT45s I put on. Brakes just need some EBC pads and they are fine.

As to the sound, a set of Cobra F1r slip-ons made a big difference. Not necessarily better, just different...

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts