Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is about buyer etiquette

I dont wanna be a low baller, so maybe ya'll could help me out

Theres a 02 cbr f4i listed for $6000. Would it be bad to offer $4500? :(

Like i said I dont wanna be a low baller, but I also dont have that much money

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
The bike is worth whatever amount the guy will accept for it. You're not responsible for his financial issues, if he's willing to let it go for $4500 then go for it. All he can do is say no. Don't worry about being a lowballer, offer what you can/think it's worth, and leave the yes/no decision to him. :2cents:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you older members probably get this a lot, but your help is needed a little further.

I called the guy about the f4i. Its only got 4200 miles on it. He got shipped out for part of its life and it spent its time in a temp controlled garage. It doesn't have a scratch on it, and its completely stock. Hes selling it because hes getting back into horses.

Does $4k still sound like a decent offer even though hes asking $6k?

any help is appreciated, and if not thats ok too.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Like Spicersh said, if he'll take it, then it's fine.

If it's too low, he'll say so, and if he's not a total jerk, he'll be open to another offer that's closer to what he's asking, and / or you can get him into a back and forth until a price is agreed upon that's somewhere between what he wants and what you want to pay.

Whatever his life story is, it's not your problem. Don't feel sympathetic towards his sob stories / life story / reason for selling the bike, etc.

Beat the price down as far as you can.:2cents:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
My uncle always says, "Thieve it or leave it."

As sideways said, his problems are not your problems.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree with above replies. Offer what you are willing to pay. He will take what he is willing to take. If his bike is really worth the money he's asking for it, someone else may be willing to pay that much, but that just means this was not the bike for you.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
To add a little more to the discussion, new sellers, for whatever reason, think Kelly Blue Book or other "sources" that provide an estimated value are the bottom line of price. That's wrong. Supply and demand defines the value mostly, followed by condition, etc. So if he pulls the KBB value line on you, tell him they're estimates the run quite high, generally.

Buying at KBB value is like buying at sticker price. Its only ever done, IMO, if the model and year is in great demand (like R6s are right now) :2cents:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow all these replies are great! :) I'm going to look at it today with $4k in cash. Hopefully he'll see things my way:D

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Cash in hand has a funny way of motivating people to see your point of view. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
spicersh said:
Cash in hand has a funny way of motivating people to see your point of view. Good luck! :thumb:
+1 Money talks, bullsh*t walks.

Be sure he knows that you only have $4000, no more. Take no prisoners. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well it just wasn't the bike for me. He wouldn't take no less then $6k, so I thanked him for his time and left. Back to the classifieds. Hey looking is half the fun right? :)

Thanks for all your help. It will help me in the future

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
KingAlverez said:
...He wouldn't take no less then $6k...

...Hey looking is half the fun right?...
So, he wasn't prepared to deal at all?? Keep an eye on it. If it takes a bit of time to sell, he may start to reconsider.

It's all good experience for the next time you're looking.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
He's smoking crack or doesn't want to really sell it. Could be significant other pressure. If he really is interested in selling it (did you get a feel for that?), I'd follow cookeetree's recommendation and keep an eye on it in the paper. Give it about 5-6 weeks and then recontact him to give him your number if he changes his mind.

Reviews of Ebay show that the 954 from that year is going for less than $6k, so stand your ground at whatever you think is fair!

And keep looking. I always like admiring other people's rides and seeing how insane they are in their monetary requests.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea its significant other pressure. He says his wife hates it and wants him to sell it. He did seem like he wanted to sell it though. Real nice guy, just not nice enough for me to want to pay what he was asking :) Like both you guys suggested, I'm going to watch his ad, and if its still listed in a few weeks or so I'll call back and see if my offer sounds a little sweeter to him. He only put it up 2-3 days ago, so he might want to hold out to see if someone will pay the amount hes asking.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
He's probably keeping the price high so that it won't sell.

It's a time-honoured ploy to circumvent a significant others demands. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I noticed when I was looking for my bike that people want a good deal more than NADA value for most bikes I saw advertised. A lot of people were wanting $2500 for bikes booking at 1200-1500. I see early F2s for $3500 all the time. I don't get it. Do people actually pay these jacked up prices or are they hoping for a moron to come along but will deal if you make them a reasonable offer. Anywhoo sorry to rant I just get frustrated when I hear of people overpricing their bikes. Good luck getting a bike it can take a while but you'll find one eventually......Later

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've run into that a ton also, Mr Nice Guy.

Almost all bikes for sale seem to be priced at roughly a grand over what they're worth. This happens with cars also.

I think it's because people want to sell it for close to what they paid for it, when in reality, vehicles just don't work that way.
You'll never even break even on a car or bike, let alone make money, I think most people selling them are blind to this reality.

The only way to make money on vehicles is to get them at police auctions and restore them to near OEM condition, and even then, you have to do a high volume. There's just not any money to be made by reselling vehicles, and the average joe doesn't understand that.:2cents:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts