Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your walking down the street. You see a bike tipped. Gas leaking. What do you do?

Everytime I see a tipped bike I am compelled to upright it. With todays wind, I saw several. However, I never have as (1) didn't want owner to come out and think I did it (2) didn't want to cuase any more damage in case something went wrong in the process.

What would you do / think if you came out and saw someone uprighting *your* bike?
I'd grill them at first. But I'd imagine a non-bikers instinct would to run if they had knocked one over, whereas another biker would be more compelled to remedy the problem regrdless if they had caused it or not.

-sedition

·
Registered
61 Posts
Key to question is gas leaking!

Gas leaking, I'd definitely pick it up. If not, the damage if any has been done letting it lie isn't going to cause additional damage and at least the dude would know where the new scratch/dent came from. I 'd leave it be in that case.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'd pick it up and leave a note.
If I saw someone picking up my bike, I'd grill em. But if it doesnt look like they are lying then they arent lying...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I wouldnt touch it. A lesson learned the hard way... if they catch you trying to help out, the cops always want to question you about the incident, and the owners want to pick a fight. I say fk em if their bike tips. People are too quick to cop an attitude without getting the facts. In this day and age, the only way to avoid problems is to develop an "everyone for themselves" mentality, as much as that sucks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
In this day and age, the only way to avoid problems is to develop an "everyone for themselves" mentality, as much as that sucks.
That certainly doesn't hold true for everyone. I have met many understanding people in my life, and im just 1/5 or 1/4 of the way through. It is true, however, that there are a lot of pricks who'd love to pick a fight and point fingers. So I guess it all comes down to you taking a gamble. The owner could be a nice guy and greatly appreciate what you did, and you'd possibly make a new riding buddy. On the other hand, the owner could be prick and start a lot of shit. If it were me, i'd probably pick it up. If the owner would start shit, then fuck em :finger:. Deal with their shit, but never help em again.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
lateott_156 said:
That certainly doesn't hold true for everyone. I have met many understanding people in my life, and im just 1/5 or 1/4 of the way through. It is true, however, that there are a lot of pricks who'd love to pick a fight and point fingers. So I guess it all comes down to you taking a gamble. The owner could be a nice guy and greatly appreciate what you did, and you'd possibly make a new riding buddy. On the other hand, the owner could be prick and start a lot of shit. If it were me, i'd probably pick it up. If the owner would start shit, then fuck em :finger:. Deal with their shit, but never help em again.
Exactly, whats the worst they can do? I'm sure once other realize that you ride as well, no one would think you knocked the bike over... Have some faith in the human race.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Vash said:
Exactly, whats the worst they can do? I'm sure once other realize that you ride as well, no one would think you knocked the bike over... Have some faith in the human race.
:thumb:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I'd pick it up. As lateott said, you could make a friend.

If, however, the owner started going off at me too much, I'd dropped the f*cking bike back on the ground and run. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
ya, but do you really want to deal with cops and the sh*t that would come from it if they were pricks?

if it was some sort of store (like a blockbuster or something) id go in and have a manager make an announcement. id wait to meet the guy and then explain to him that i was a rider and tell him that i had found his bike layed down. id offer to help in any way i could.

if it was a house or apartment, and i knew the guy or recognized the bike, id go knock and tell whoever answered the door what happened, and offer to help. if i didnt know the bike or where the guy lived, i doubt id do anything.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I would pick up the bike, or ask someone else to help me do the same, THEN try to find the owner.

If it was the reverse then I would be grateful & thank the other person that did the job.

Not related to the above, but still the matter of honesty. On Tuesday evening I was off to open the gun range for others & myself only the truck seemed to have an electonical or fuel pump problem. Parked with blinkers on & knocked on door of some home asking if they could call a tow truck. It would be 30 to 45 minutes.

Long wait & no one around to I nursed the cage home. Seems it was a failed distributer so still waiting for the truck to-day.

Still I walked to said home & asked the chap who he might have phoned. Then phoned the tow truck & yes they had made the call to said area. Met the tow truck owner, apologized to him & gave him $50.00 for his frustration. It was no, no, no at first & then he took it saying next time, if ever then, it would be for free.

I had one fear back in my mind was that I could not leave the truck there that evening for it had the usual four costly h/guns plus two others I was taking to the Club for a few to try out & yes six is the max we can carry with a lot of ammo, targets & such. Now had someone maganged to steal the truck or smash in the drop-top & take the six guns THEN that would bother me the rest of my life wondering if my guns had bee used in hold-up, attempted or actual killings. The very weight of the six guns would have been a problem in lugging them back to my home, not to mention the ammo, tools, targets & such still left behind & even the ammo would be on my mind.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Vash said:
Have some faith in the human race.
My faith in the human race has long run dry. You have no idea the BS I have been through in the past year. I no longer care about such things as a bike laying on its side. I refuse to take the gamble and hope for an understanding person... in my experiences, they never are. Maybe it will be different when I move. This place sucks anyway.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
My faith in the human race has long run dry. You have no idea the BS I have been through in the past year. I no longer care about such things as a bike laying on its side. I refuse to take the gamble and hope for an understanding person... in my experiences, they never are. Maybe it will be different when I move. This place sucks anyway.
Long run dry? how old are you bro?
Cmon, do you honestly want to grow up to be a bitter old man that bitches about everything he sees? yeah, those people look like they are having a great time living. Yes there is an assload of bad shit in this world. Doesnt mean you cant be optimistic.
If you got no faith in humans, why bother living?

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Vash said:
Long run dry? how old are you bro?
Cmon, do you honestly want to grow up to be a bitter old man that bitches about everything he sees? yeah, those people look like they are having a great time living. Yes there is an assload of bad shit in this world. Doesnt mean you cant be optimistic.
If you got no faith in humans, why bother living?
Part of the problem, I think, is that the world has lost a lot of its innocence. At least the Western part where we live. Life used to be a lot simpler, you knew your neighbor and weren't afraid to stop to help someone change a tire.

Now?

Pffft. Your neighbor is likely to steal your belongings, you can get yourself killed stopping to help a fellow motorist who looks to be in need of assistance and most people are more willing to tell you go "eff off" when you simply smile and say hello.

I am saddened by this, as it seems our society has decided common decency should fly out of the window along with interpersonal relationships and a hand-written thank you note.

*sigh*

I really hope to see a swing back to morality and decency in my lifetime, but am not sure if it would happen...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Please... I may not know my 20 neighbours, but I know many more then that online. Some I dont know that well, but who knew everything about their neighbours?
Life was never simple. There was always struggling. Thieving is not a new profession either. At least we dont have to worry polio, bronchitis, or getting held up by robbers on a forest road out of town. Violent crime is down from whatever time you want to call the "godlen age" and life expectancy is longer. Its a good time to be alive, make the best of it.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
cookeetree said:
Yeah, except now it just happens on paved streets in the middle of town.
How many times have you been held up jason? I got muged once back in russia, but thats about it. Is that so unussual? Peaple had to bring guards with them when they went out of town.

Besides guys, there is decent chance it will get much much worse in our lifetime. Enjoy the good times.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Vash said:
Please... I may not know my 20 neighbours, but I know many more then that online. Some I dont know that well, but who knew everything about their neighbours?
Growing up in the 70's in N CA, my family knew every family on the block. Seriously. We hung out, all the kids played together and you could count on each other for things.

Vash said:
Life was never simple. There was always struggling. Thieving is not a new profession either. At least we dont have to worry polio, bronchitis, or getting held up by robbers on a forest road out of town. Violent crime is down from whatever time you want to call the "godlen age" and life expectancy is longer. Its a good time to be alive, make the best of it.
No, life has never been "simple", but it used to be MORE simple to live. Technology has been great and has made the world our playground, but for all of the closeness it is supposed to bring, I find myself further away from loved ones.

And last time I checked, a lot of diseases we thought eradicted here in the US are making a comeback, thanks to unvaccinated immigrants bringing the diseases in, and "crunchy" parents that don't vaccintate their children on the advice of their chiropractors.

No, thieving is not a new profession, but thieves have an entirely new and more deadly arsenal at their firgertips.

Violent crime might be down, but is that on a per capita basis or strictly numbers? Big difference.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Vash said:
How many times have you been held up jason? I got muged once back in russia, but thats about it. Is that so unussual? Peaple had to bring guards with them when they went out of town...
Ooooh, you sound like my father. That's the first time someone one this board has referred to me by my name. Hehe.

No, I've never been help up and, sure, we don't need guards like they did in "ye olden days". However, car jackings and muggings are part of today's thieving culture, if not as prevalent as back then.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
spicerke said:
Violent crime might be down, but is that on a per capita basis or strictly numbers? Big difference.
Population hasnt been falling so it doesnt make any difference at all.
And I dont hear about any outbreaks of polio, bronchitis, maleria, or any of the other scary nastiness you see in history. Infant mortality rate is at the lowest its ever been. Life is good.

Bsides, what good is that magical past without sportbikes?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts