Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like the entire state of Wisconsin will be forced to use Ethanol blended gas so that the Ethanol industry can continue to line the pockets of the politicians in this state. What does this mean to my bike? I've heard horror stories from people that have ran this stuff in their cycles. I didnt see anything in my owners manual regarding Ethanol. The catch is that aside from buying a gas truck with normal gas and storing it behind my house, I'm going to be stuck using this stuff.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
All I've read on it says that the only differences between E85 capable cars and ones equipped only for gasoline is that the E85 ones use metal lined gas tanks and metal tubing for gas lines. It's due to the ethanol being more aggressive and tearing up the plastic tanks and rubber tubes in normal cars. It should run just fine in the engine though, but I've also read it delivers less power than gasoline.

This is all of course subject to debate, as I don't recall where the articles I've read were from or how trustworthy those sources are. :dunno:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I think he is refering to the Ethanol/MTBE fiasco. The idea is simply to replace one additive for another (MTBE is supposed to be a carcinogen, or polutes the water supply or both, dont know). In this context ethanol will form a very small percentige of the over all gasoline, and I seriously doubt you will ever notice it. Furthermore, ethanol is already used as an octane booster in most "premium" blends. Nothing to worry about bro.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I believe that this is going to be around the 10% range. It just irritates me that all of these people claim Ethanol blended gas is so great, yet they refuse to let the market decide it's fate. Instead they mandate its use and the Ethanol industry and the politicians are the only ones that benefit. The argument is that it creates so many jobs. I guss that they should mandate that everyone in Wisconsin has to drive a Harley Davidson. Think of the jobs that would create. Especially for street cleaning personnel to run around and sop up all that oil.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
LOL, I love the harley analogy.

Keep in mind that this is about replacing one additive with another, not adding an additive to previously "uncontaminated" gasoline. As for jobs, its only valid on the state level. Most MTBE used in the states is manufactured in the states, so all thats really being done is taking jobs away from NY and giving them to WI.

·
Registered
22 Posts
At least we don't have to fight foreign country for ethanol....But seriously I think the major problem is that PURE ethanol is about 30% less efficientl...so make bigger gas tanks to match gasoline's MPG. Oh yeah regular gasoline starts to deterioate (spelling) in about 6 months. Good Luck on that gas truck.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Back around the 70s I had a friend that was a frantic rally event rider & had this BMW 900. So he was on his way home from a rally & decided being low on fuel he would give this Ethanol blended gas a try & see what it was like.

What a screw-up for his bike became so guttless even in lower gears he could hardly climb any of the normal highway climbs. Once home he dumped it, with aim of using it for cleaning lawnmores----his basica line of work, put in good fuel & that was the end.

So he faithfully hand wrote each one of us that he had the address of to WARN us to not make the error he had just got over. My guess is he hand-wrote over 50 of us!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
We use 10% Ethanol gasoline in the winter here in Phoenix... have been for years. I have never noticed a difference in performance between our summer fuel, and winter fuel.

As Scott said, ethanol is a bit tougher on the rubber components in the fuel system, so don't leave this fuel sitting in your bike for an entire winter untreated.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
nomadic said:
At least we don't have to fight foreign country for ethanol....But seriously I think the major problem is that PURE ethanol is about 30% less efficientl...so make bigger gas tanks to match gasoline's MPG. Oh yeah regular gasoline starts to deterioate (spelling) in about 6 months. Good Luck on that gas truck.
When I was entering college back in '90, I was highly interested in Ag Engineering to do research with Ethanol. I looked at how it was going in Brazil and the point here is one of the key ones for why it hadn't really made big headway here. Less BTU's per gallon means more frequent fill-ups, shorter range, and/or bigger tanks.

An additional issue I recall is greater formaldehyde production from the burning of straight ethanol when compared to gasoline. Its an environmental thing that may have been attenuated by now, but was a serious issue for Brazil at one point.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I remember when gasoline had lead in it and the big fights about what Lead free gas would do to engine internals as the lead was a lubricant for the valves and combustion chamber.....

OK so now the thing is ethanol which has been in gasoline since they the late seventies/ early eighties....Read the tag on the pumps...this gasoline contains % ethanol blah blah blah....

What i dont understand is with all the clean fuels and fuel injection why do automobiles still need catalytic converters , considering they actually cause poor gas mileage...We took a catalytic converter off of a 1998 f-150 and bypassed the censors and removed vac lines not needed and we improved gas mileage by 6.3 MPG in town and by 9.2 hwy.... final 19 mpg city/ 28 mpg hwy....

You have to remember the GOVERNMENT tells you what is best , since we all are considered lower life forms by politicians....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Cat's dont improve gas milage, they clean up emmissions. In other words they force the non-organic crap that is in gasoline (sulfur and nitrogen radicals) to react rather than escape out of your tail pipe. Cuts down on acid rain....

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Nailer45 said:
What i dont understand is with all the clean fuels and fuel injection why do automobiles still need catalytic converters , considering they actually cause poor gas mileage...We took a catalytic converter off of a 1998 f-150 and bypassed the censors and removed vac lines not needed and we improved gas mileage by 6.3 MPG in town and by 9.2 hwy.... final 19 mpg city/ 28 mpg hwy....
I'm going to have to think about this comment a bit before I firmly disagree, but something in my head says this is incredibly unlikely. The ONLY thing a cat does is cause a bit of restriction in the exhaust, which really plays to power, not economy. Check out any 'vette or sports car enthusiast site and you can read in detail the point of going with ORY's instead of catted Y's.

But I'll post up if I can figure out how, in any way, a cat might effect economy.

EDIT: Aha, here's a link which discusses a possible angle, but it depends on the converter being screwed up as a result (most typically) of parts having melted from excess fuel in the exhaust (aka running rich). I've had a pair of converters go on a car and that was, indeed, the cause. But we saw no improvement in gas efficiency. YMMV.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
kanwisch said:
I'm going to have to think about this comment a bit before I firmly disagree, but something in my head says this is incredibly unlikely. The ONLY thing a cat does is cause a bit of restriction in the exhaust, which really plays to power, not economy. Check out any 'vette or sports car enthusiast site and you can read in detail the point of going with ORY's instead of catted Y's.

But I'll post up if I can figure out how, in any way, a cat might effect economy.
Could've been an old CAT, that the only way his numbers would be believable. If the thing is past due and clogged up.. well you get the point.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The cat may have been clogged up. Soot tends to clog up cats over time and restrict the exhaust. The only purpose of a cat is to lower HC, and CO emissions. Some cats also have a reduction chamber for NOx emissions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts