Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*sniff* I'm so confused...what's the difference between v-twins and four-cyclinder engines? performance , exhaust between the two?

and does a motorcycle being two stroke or whatever else there is depend on engine type?????

i'm so confused *sniff* mommy:crying:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
V-twin means the motor has two cylinders, they are at angles to each other and form a "V." (degree of angle varies from bike to bike)

Inline Four cylinder machines have four cylinders, all in a line. Some machines have V-fours which have two cylinders on each side of the V.

There are also singles and triples, but they are not as common.

V-twin machines are far more torquie (still not sure if that's a real word) than their Inline-4 counterparts, and cc to cc are not comparable on power. A basic rule of thumb is that a 1000cc V-twin is comparable to a 750cc inline-4, a 750cc v-twin is comparable to a 600cc inline-4 and so-on. I'm quite sure I will be challenged on this since with bike technology where it is, this formula isn't all that accurate anymore. But it's a start.

The question is WHERE does the bike make it's best power? (powerband) V-twins have a lot of power lower in the RPM's while Inline-4's run at their best higher in the revs. Unfortunately again, it's almost impossible to explain, this is something that just needs to be "felt." And I'm sure there are others that can explain the technicalities better than me.

Two strokes you don't really have to worry about unless you're riding a 125cc bike, pocketbike, YSR, some dirtbikes or a rare 250cc racebike. ;) Two strokes are a whole other can of worms that are quickly becoming extinct. :crying:

·
Registered
32 Posts
two-strokes and four-strokes are different engine types. twins and fours are just different configurations, as are singles and and triples; simply the amount of cylinders used in X engine design. both two and four stroke motors may be any number of cylinders. two strokes are very simple, very powerful motors that are enjoyable to learn about and are used in everything from small RC models to powered lawn equipment to GP racing motorcycles, but it is true that you will not likely be purchasing one to ride around, unless you are getting a Vintage bike or a 250 (most common in U.S.) track bike. The amount of cylinders has a HUGE effect on a motorcylce, not so much in terms of how much power it has, but in terms of how the power is delivered. What Elo has said is more or less on the money, and I could mention some fine points, but I've heard that one should NEVER argue with Elo.:rolleyes:

Me, I'm all about twins!

·
Registered
43 Posts
elo said:
By all means, please correct me where I'm wrong. No sense in handing out incorrect information.
your on the money but the site has pictures which could help him out some more on the different types on engines;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts