Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I think I'm just paranoid, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

The noises my 250's engine is emmiting has me worried. A couple of weeks ago, durring cold morning starts, the engine would let out this perplexing and worry-inducing sound. Immagine mowing the lawn, running over a bolt (or some chunk of metal), and the sound that the bolt makes as it strikes the blades. A really sharp and quick metalic clang. I start the bike up, and as it's idling, every once in a while, CLANG! This doesn't happen durring every startup. But once the engine would warms up, the sound doesn't happen anymore. Did something in the crankcase or gearbox break off? Is that possible? Also, just recently (day before yesturday), the engine would let out a little metallic tap every time a cylinder fired. This sound is like a tap of a pen on a metal table, and only happens once the engine warms up.

This shit has me worried. The bike's 1.5 months old, and has only 1800 miles on it. This can't be time for engine problems, can it? I've been giving it early oil changes.

I'd take it to the dealer for them to take a look at it, but I don't wanna sit around while they pick their ass for 3 hours, charging me $80/hr. Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Isn't your bike still under warranty? It won't cost you a dime, right? Don't feel bad about using the warranty. Your bike should not be making those noises.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I decided to take the thing down to the dealer. I don't wanna ride it cuz it's cold and I have a cold, so I call up my friend with a pickup. While waiting, I go outside and start up the bike to hear the strange noises one more time to make sure the dealer can't say "what noises? 80 bucks, plz." And what does it do? well of course! It sounds perfect. No strange noises or anything. It, just like me, must also be afraid of the dealer. :rolleyes:

So, uh, anyone else's bike act the same way? Or is mine the only one with a personality?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The noise when the engine is cold is prolly the pistons slapping against the side if the cylinder walls cause of no oil at the start. Perfectly normal long as it goes away after a few seconds.

The pinging noise when it's warm is prolly from bad gas or too low octane. Make sure you buy your gas from a reputable source.

It's amazing how many noises an engine will make. Specially when you're in the middle of nowhere!

·
Registered
27 Posts
mac020 said:

It's amazing how many noises an engine will make. Specially when you're in the middle of nowhere!
It's also amazing how much more gas they use in the middle of nowhere.:)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Not to hijack the thread or anything but how bad is this pinging sound? I've had mine do that every once in a while... should I stop as soon as possible an drain the tank, or just let it go and dump a booster at the next opportunity?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would not recommend any gas-oil additives in your bike. Cage engines can deal with the stuff but in my experiance bike engines cannot. If you do deciede to put the market gimmick stuff in your tank remember most of the stuff will treat 20 gallons or more so put very little in.

I would just drain my tank. Premium from 76 is all I use and I have never had any troubles, bike or cage...

-M-

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vash said:
Not to hijack the thread or anything but how bad is this pinging sound? I've had mine do that every once in a while... should I stop as soon as possible an drain the tank, or just let it go and dump a booster at the next opportunity?
It happened on about three consecutive occasions for me, and went away just as abruptly. My tank is almost empty, so if absolutely need-be, I'll fill up with better gas. I've been using the regular 87 octane stuff from Arco. That's what the MOM calls for. Wasn't there a thread around here not too long ago talking about just that? That a higher octane rating isn't needed if the MOM doesn't call for it?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
mkeeney said:
Isn't your bike still under warranty? It won't cost you a dime, right? Don't feel bad about using the warranty. Your bike should not be making those noises.
+1 Standard octane fuel is what' called for in the book, right? Then that's what you should use and turn the bike in if it pings :2cents:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
slick1537 said:
I always used the best stuff I can find, which happens to be 93 around here. I thought that is what everyone used?
There are a number of threads on this issue. Essentially you should use the lowest octane rating that doesn't cause pinging/knocking. Anything higher is just pissing money away. Do a search for octane and you'll find no shortage of threads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts