Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well asides for power or torque or extent of revs, which engine(s) do you prefer and why? I know it's going to be mostly one sided response, but what the hell. :D

I feel that 4-cylinders are just more linear and smoother, and lot less engine braking during downshifts makes it a worry free ride.
Con is I hardly ever get to use the real power on the road.

Twins, basically power on tap, won't have to work hard to get on power regardless of displacement. And overall it's wider w/o getting any hit delivery. Con is, it's just not smooth as an inline, engine braking is pain for my taste, have to be careful during downshift, and very often I'm hitting the rev limiters before realizing the need for upshift.

But I am unsure which would be more tractable once flicking into corner and getting on power hard or sliding in sands/gravels.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You have pretty well hit it Fantic. I go along with you on basically everything considering I have owned & competed on anything from singles, twins, two-strokes (singles to twins) to fours. I do lack in personal knowledge of three or more then four pots.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I like small inline 4's because they have the power of the V-twins (sorry, I know you said power aside, but that is my main arguement) without the costly insurance rates. The power is there when I need it, and it is high enough in the rpm range so I dont have to worry about spinning out easily when I roll on to the throttle mid-corner.

I guess to sum it up... 600cc inline 4's are the most suited to my riding style.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've never had a v-twin at all but I would like to try it for my next bike. I think it is mostly peoples riding style and what they are confertable with. I don't think one is better than the other, it's just up to the rider.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Inlines... I can give you all the technical reasons in the world, but what it really comes down to is
"Zing! Zing! bwwwaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Something about the sound of an engine going from a mellow, relaxed and very un-intimidating idle to full out scream as the revs climb past 10k... Well.. Yeah what was I talking about?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vash... ahem, if you're at work, take the napkin, go to the washroom, go ahead and clean yourself. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts