Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you all EXPECT your M/C's life to last?
100k miles?

If this is so then what is keeping these engines from lasting as long as a car/truck engine?
Poor bearings?
Racing the engine?

I have clevite 77 trimetal bearings in my camaro and they are guaranteed to last 300k

What gives?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
100k miles is a good estimate. The reason they dont last as long as car engine is that car engines dont spin at 16k rpm.

Vast majority of bikes are destroyed by crashes, not mechanical failures.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dang it you replied before I could..
I knew that!!! :cussing;

How can we fix this problem?

Are the components super light and tough?
Are there any flaws to where we could UPGRADE high-spinning components? I'm guessing no...

Where can I get GOOD engine bearings and the such for when I have to rebuild mine...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
ezrollin said:
dang it you replied before I could..
I knew that!!! :cussing;

How can we fix this problem?

Are the components super light and tough?
Are there any flaws to where we could UPGRADE high-spinning components? I'm guessing no...

Where can I get GOOD engine bearings and the such for when I have to rebuild mine...
You are getting away from my area of expertise. I seriously doubt you will have to rebuild an engine. For one, it makes little economic sense. The price of the rebuild will likely take you close to the price of a new bike. They are cheap! Use them, abuse them, break them, and get new ones!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
ezrollin said:
maybe I should just buy a brand new engine then when the time comes?
Most manufacturers wont sell you one. Honda is the exception, and they sell only a limited number. The reason is that selling the engine seperatly will cost more than the bike does.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dang, thats harsh
I love rebuilding engines cause I'm really good at it!

So you are saying it would be more economical to buy a liter bike and stay outta the high rpms as much as possible for longer life?
thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
When I bought my new R6 motor (used) after waisting the first motor (because the oil plug fell out some how, still don't know how? :dunno: :D ), the yamaha dealor told me to go to ebay or find a used motor on craig's list. I have learned that when buying a motorcycle, you are technically just buying a motor. Just add a couple tires, seat and handle bars, and Va-LA!!! You got you a croch rocket. I don't think you can actually buy a new crate motor for bikes. But, you might! I just haven't had any luck doing it. My used motor costs me $1500. It had 30,000 miles on it..

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I regulalry see used motors on ebay for less than $1000. $400 deals are not uncommon.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
ezrollin said:
dang, thats harsh
I love rebuilding engines cause I'm really good at it!

So you are saying it would be more economical to buy a liter bike and stay outta the high rpms as much as possible for longer life?
thanks
No way, hammer the bike to death if you want. If the engine blows up- so what? Buy a low-mileage replacement motor from a salvage yard for $500-$1000.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
zxrider said:
No way, hammer the bike to death if you want. If the engine blows up- so what? Buy a low-mileage replacement motor from a salvage yard for $500-$1000.
And dont forget to thank all the liter buying newbies for making such awesome deals possible!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Vash said:
They are cheap! Use them, abuse them, break them, and get new ones!
+1:thumbs2:

·
Registered
142 Posts
You can go with the Vash model that they are disposable ... but if you take care of them, the bikes will run forever if not abused.

The only component that has a "dip" in reliability in terms of the other components are the tires, the chain and the sprockets. So you want to take good care of all three of these. You don't want a chain breaking on you at 60MPH because you were too lazy to oil it, nor do you want a front tire flat at 60MPH either ... OIL THE CHAIN ... CHANGE THE TIRES! ;)

The mechanic at the top racing shop in Atlanta who works on all these $50,000 bikes told me the most important thing was to try to get oil in the O-Rings on the chain. He said the only thing that wears out on the chains is the O-Rings and the only reason they wear out is because people don't oil them. He told me if you oil the chain regularly, the chain will last forever.

While we may all hate maintaining our chain, it is actually an extraordinarily efficient mechanical design and is 25% more efficient than other designs like rods/etc on Harleys. What that means is that sport bikes get 25% more power to their rear tire per amount of HP generated by the engine than other designs. As far as mechanics are concerned, whenever you look at your chain, keep in mind that it is near perfection mechanically in terms of transfer of power ... yes, you need to oil it and take care of it, but it is an incredibly optimal power transfer design.

Tires, chains, sprockets, ... take care of them, ride the bike nice ... it'll run forever and will give you way more transportation value than you ever spent.

Sportbikes are actually very efficient forms of transportation. Mind you, 1000cc++ bikes aren't, but a bike like mine, a twin 650 with fuel injection is an amazingly efficient vehicle and it's reasonably low-RPM (powerband is 5-9k), gets 50+MPG, 0-60 in 3.8 seconds, speed stable up to 150 MPH, awe inspiring torque up to 100MPH ... the F.I. meets Class III Euro emissions.

I bought it because I had no answer to the question ... what more could I want? LOL

And every day I look out at it and am like damn that thing is badass and it rides fantastic, it has large fairings and is very stable on the highways. I can ride it in an "upright" position or in a full racing position. Either is very comfortable. The only thing I have an issue with is in 35 or below weather my hands tend to get a bit cold, I may put heated grips on for next winter season, but this isn't an issue for anything above 40 degrees.

People come up to me and talk about it (the 2008 really does look bad ass in the green/black) and I always refer them to MSF, and I never tell them ... I bought it for the 50MPG and F.I. emissions, the hair-standing torque was just a bonus, LOL. ;)

Gas fill-ups cost me $7.00 to $9.50, LOL ... and it's good to ...

Futures Markets Predicting $200/Barrel Oil in 2008
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ayQXcHVStlP8&refer=home

So, if those future people are right, and oil hits $200/barrel, that means it'll cost me $20 to fill up my bike, which is still a negligible cost ... but all these idiots driving around in SUVs talking on cell phones are going to pay $50-$200/week in gasoline ... LOL.

Bring on the $200/barrel oil!!!!

Riders need to always remember this ... the more expensive oil is, the safer our rides are! Higher oil costs mean more riders, fewer cars, and fewer big cars ...

Imagine a world where everyone rode a bike to work on the highways ... it would be a blast, society would be re-written!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Bring on the $200/barrel oil!!!!

Riders need to always remember this ... the more expensive oil is, the safer our rides are! Higher oil costs mean more riders, fewer cars, and fewer big cars ...

Imagine a world where everyone rode a bike to work on the highways ... it would be a blast, society would be re-written! [/B]

[/QUOTE]

I never thought about it that way.. I guess, us bikers', have the benifit of the doubt. Twenty bucks to fill up the R1, compared to $100 in the 4Runner. We'll dominate, just have to keep squid control up to date.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I dont think that taking pleasure in the plight of your neighbour makes you a good person....

Oh, and harleys dont have "rods" (I think you meant shafts), they got belts, which rival the efficiency, if not surpass it

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Speaking of cost of opperations, the numbers dont really add up. On a bike 40mpg, at $3/gal
7.5c/mile
$300 tires every 3000 miles
10c/mile

On a truck 20mpg at $3/gal
15c/mile
$500 tires every 40,000 mile
1.25c/mile

Total cost per mile
Bike=17.5c/mile
Truck=16.25c/mile

Of course, the purchasing cost and insurance will skew the numbers in the bikes favor (insurance is cheaper on bikes since they are cheaper to replace). What I'm trying to say is that bike are cheaper to own because they are cheaper to buy, not because they drink less gas.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I dont think that taking pleasure in the plight of your neighbour makes you a good person....
Well, I absolutely do take pleasure in seeing SUV drivers swearing at the pumps at the gas stations, I take enormous pleasure in it, LOL.

I thoroughly enjoy their "self-imposed torture" ... I really do ;)

I mean what are going to be the real effects of it?

- Less pollution / less cancer deaths from MTBE, ocean, and lake pollution.
- More subways/mass transit.
- More riders.

Bring on the $200/barrel oil!

I have no sympathy of any kind for SUV people. They are fat, lazy, selfish pricks.

Do you realize the only reason we don't have subway access in my county to down town Atlanta is because my county is all racist white people and they think it will "bring crime to them", polite way of saying they don't like black people, LOL.

I have no sympathy of any kind for people like this. They can barely fit in their SUVs and they drive to McDonald's to stuff their face full of liquified sludge.

Bring on the $200/barrel oil! ;)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Vash said:
Speaking of cost of opperations, the numbers dont really add up. On a bike 40mpg, at $3/gal
7.5c/mile
10c/mile

On a truck 20mpg at $3/gal
15c/mile
$500 tires every 40,000 mile
1.25c/mile

Total cost per mile
Bike=17.5c/mile
Truck=16.25c/mile

Of course, the purchasing cost and insurance will skew the numbers in the bikes favor (insurance is cheaper on bikes since they are cheaper to replace). What I'm trying to say is that bike are cheaper to own because they are cheaper to buy, not because they drink less gas.
And, Vash, has a good point too!! Didn't think of that either.

·
Registered
142 Posts
10c/mile
Not everyone rides like you Vash ;).

I'm at 800 miles on my bike and I can't even see hardly any wear on them. I doubt highly I'll be replacing them at 3000 miles, I think I'll have maybe 10-15% wear at that stage.

My tires for same name-brand, delivered, online are also $230-ish, and if I'm cheap there is a cheaper version for $160 for the pair (delivered) that actually passes all the speed ratings.

The ratings in the book that came with the bike don't even say to look at the tires until you've got more than 7000 miles on them.

Granted this is less mileage for the tires than a car... but you only have 2 tires to replace, and you also aren't including car tire replacement in your calculations either! ;)

·
Registered
699 Posts
packtec said:

I have no sympathy of any kind for SUV people. They are fat, lazy, selfish pricks.

Do you realize the only reason we don't have subway access in my county to down town Atlanta is because my county is all racist white people and they think it will "bring crime to them", polite way of saying they don't like black people, LOL.

I have no sympathy of any kind for people like this. They can barely fit in their SUVs and they drive to McDonald's to stuff their face full of liquified sludge.
;)
I weight 180 lbs. I work out and look good! I do not regret having my 4Runner. If I was fat and lazy, I probably wouldn't have an R1. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts