Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have a Motorcycle Endorsement on your license? I know of a handful of people that do not have one, I do though. I tried to get that one before getting my regular license, good ol California would not let me be.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
15yrs ago in fla i didnt have my endorsement. but here in michigan i have my endorsement. its hard to get it registered and insured with out an endorsement.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Yeah, got mine before I got a bike :thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have mine. Took the test on a 1982 Yamaha Virago 750. I think the figure 8's were easier to do on a cruiser rather than a sport bike IMHO. Of course i only had about 3 months riding experience when I took my test and the Virago was my first motorcycle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
+1

i got mine before i ever rode on the streets and before i owned my own motorcycle. its really easyto get it. the people that don't do it are really lazy

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For what it's worth, I really don't think anyone would admit to not having their endorsement, since you cannot legally ride a motorcycle without it.

:2cents:
We are not the cops, so I think we can keep a secret. ;)

I got my endorsement through the MSF course. I used my own Dual Sport 225. I showed up 20 minuted late the second day, they cut you for being 5 minutes late. I thought the instructor was going to tell me to leave. He walked over
"You're late!"
"I know, I did not hear my alarm go off"
"Well, you are THE best rider in the class, so get in line"
"Ummm...I.... ummmm..... ok"
There were 15 of us in it, I was the only one that used my own bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For what it's worth, I really don't think anyone would admit to not having their endorsement, since you cannot legally ride a motorcycle without it.

:2cents:

The law in PA when I started riding was you only needed a permit to ride solo and during daylight hours. All you had to do was walk into the DMV, write a check for $20 or so, and that was it. Kinda scary if you think about it. The only requirement you had to meet was having a checking account and your ability to write a check. The license test consisted of 2 parts, a written and a road test in their parking lot. I think they changed the law now so you need to pass the written before you get your permit. Then, you can schelule your road test later or take a MSF course.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
The law in PA when I started riding was you only needed a permit to ride solo and during daylight hours. All you had to do was walk into the DMV, write a check for $20 or so, and that was it. Kinda scary if you think about it. The only requirement you had to meet was having a checking account and your ability to write a check. The license test consisted of 2 parts, a written and a road test in their parking lot. I think they changed the law now so you need to pass the written before you get your permit. Then, you can schelule your road test later or take a MSF course.
That's pretty much how it is in IN and IL as well.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
That's pretty much how it is in IN and IL as well.
You do have to take the written test for your permit in IN. Then you have to hold the permit for 30 days before taking the riding test. The permit is good for a year, then you have to take the test/pay for it again. I only know this because I got my permit and basically was too damn lazy to work the riding test into my busy schedule of drinking and chasing tail, and let my permit expire. After taking the test and getting it again I had to wait another 30 days (even though I had been riding for a year by then) before taking the riding test. The bonus of putting it off that long though was that I aced the riding test. :)

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
You do have to take the written test for your permit in IN. Then you have to hold the permit for 30 days before taking the riding test. The permit is good for a year, then you have to take the test/pay for it again. I only know this because I got my permit and basically was too damn lazy to work the riding test into my busy schedule of drinking and chasing tail, and let my permit expire. After taking the test and getting it again I had to wait another 30 days (even though I had been riding for a year by then) before taking the riding test. The bonus of putting it off that long though was that I aced the riding test. :)
The wife went the MSF route so she'd gotten the permit up-front and then the MSF completion covered the riding test. There was no 30-day wait, IIRC, in that scenario.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I got my M/C license when I was 14....didnt get a car license until I was 17...so I guess you could say I got a car endorsment on my M/C license:thumbs2:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
What you mean by "endorsment" probably mens something else in the USA. In Canada one must have different numbers on the DL. Like in mine with #5 means I can drive any form of vehicle up to one ton, though I also have a #6 as that is for any size/power of m/c.

Now if someone has a #1 then he can drive any sort of 18 wheeler with trailer to any form of smaller vehicle BUT he/she is NOT allowed to ride a m/c unless he also have #6 as well.

Back in the early 80s the RCMP were stopping all m/c riders----this seemed to be going on like mad & the third time one day, the Constable also uses our gun range where he & another instructor puts on the courses for RCMP shooting---upon the okay of me as h/gun director-instructor to those on our range. He apologized & told me what they were looking for is the #6 on the LP. It seems that in the first few days something like 90% of the riders did not take the test & so #6 added to their LP.

I went through the testing course many yrs ago though in '77 I lost my DL for 6 months due to Dangerous Driving charge. Got it back only they had eliminated #6 so I had to take the test again.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
We are not the cops, so I think we can keep a secret. ;)

Yeah, and besides... this forum blocks all content to LEO, right? ;)

I had my permit in VT for a year before moving here. I rode half a season without a permit in this state. I had to go sit through a boring ass class for 8 hours while the instructor showed me how to operate the clutch and brake. There was no road time involved in the class.

I got my permit and rode on that for 2 years before it expired. I rode 3/4 of last year with no permit. I absolutely hate the thought of having to sit though that boring ass class again.

It's not always laziness. In my case, it is the fact that I work all night, and the DMV likes to schedule road tests for 10AM - 12PM. They won't work with you on the times... it happens on a "This is what you've got" basis. I just don't have the time to go for the road test.

Nothing ever really works out when you work third shift in a state where the sidewalks roll up at 3pm. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
So it really IS a MOTORCYCLE riders permit to ride!!!!! I know some of the Cdn chaps with permit to basically drive anything that is self-balanced like 18 wheelers & such are pissed off that they cannot LEGALLY ride a m/c, but then some had not taken into consideration the vast difference of balancing & so much more when it comes to riding a m/c.

A few that were forced to obtain the m/c end of the driving/riding license admitted it was far more then they had thought. Sort of like a newbie m/c rider YET they knew more about the laws of the roads then most others, still traction, balance, & so much more was the new thing to them as being newbie m/c riders rather then purchasing one & learning on their own the hard way. As one told me, after some 40 yrs of driving massive rigs, the money was well spent on taking the course being one somewhat similiar to the MSF Course in the States.

So think of it, all m/c riders in the Province of B.C. have had to pass the m/c part to obtain the #6 & good chance that this is pretty true in the rest of Canada. At least I have passed mine twice due to heavy fine & loss of my DL for 6 months.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I was honestly peeved that I had to take it a 2nd time. Now at the time I was testing the Kawasaki KT-250 which was their Observed Trials bike, but could be street legal is I put on a mirror & horn. No signal lights were necessary in those days, but lights & stop lamp yes.

So this one Govt official had me challenge the written test & my eye-sight was good enough that I could pass the eye-test without glasses which I did in both cases. I was to come back a week later for the test of riding.

Hopped the KT-250 on the trailer & came down with it behind my Jeep. So there I was standing with Observed Trials jacket on though open due to heat, along with a Bultaco perforated jersy (had I taken off the jacket he would have read "Team Bultaco" & my number plus name on the back, along with Fabric protective trousers, & custom made boots I used for Trials, put a partial helmet we used in Observed Trials, to light protective gloves. This sort of shook him up---probably the first m/c rider he had come across wearing protective clothing for remember this as way back in '75.

He tried to sound so provessional & asked if the bike had a horn which it did as I did the little oink-oink with the small bulb horn I had attatched, to "where is the mirror" & pointed out the chopped down & bent stem of the bicycle mirror was there. Then the lights & asked him if he was sure he wanted me to fire up the engine & that sort of baffled him till I pointed out the lights worked ONLY if the engine was running so end of that request. Still did the bike have a STOP LIGHT & said it would again require the engine being fired up, but pointed to the rear brake pedal along with the switch that would trigger the stop lamp into action.

Finally he asked if the bike had "baffeling" which is a commong English word.thpugh he was far from being English, for muffling. That is when I said something like "This has better baffeling they most cars/trucks, for I took off one panel to show the factory designed flattened muffler & reminded him this was just ONE PISTON & pointed to the one at the end, being the Spark Arrestor so this bike had TWO sets of baffles for just one piston--yes he suckered to that as well.

Then the test he would watch & when I was coming back from the parts I was to weave around he was shaking his head & telling me that one is not to stand up on a m/c. I told him "Look man the competitive rider of an Observed Trials bike does not glue his arse to the saddle" still he insisted so I carried out all the other moves with the extremely low so-called saddle & my knees skicking out to make it all look so extreme.

Got the okay & the new DL license would be set with the #5 & #6 on it. Some more signing of papers with some other clerks.

I noted he was talking to a middle aged woman darn close to my Kwacker so I fired it up to lift the front wheel, do a neat pivot on the rear wheel of 180 degrees with me rideing the bike 3/4 of the way in the pivot, stop the bike, both wheels on the ground & look around, lift up the front wheel, right hand turn & rode off down this part of the alley to as stop sign & if he was still watching I had the front wheel down at the Stop sign only hiked up the front wheel to take off & make my right turn.

I did sort of make up for him & others being involved with removing my #6 m/c riders number of my DL. Obviously I was darn mad at all of them & pleased I could make a fool out of him.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts