Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a good beginner bike

Hello, I am looking into getting a sportbike. I have very little experience on bikes, but i plan on taking the safety course over the summer and another intermidiate riding course after that.
I was told to stay in the 600 for a starter bike. If i remember right, some one said that there is a suziki with not to much plastic on it to break and a more comfortable riding postion.
Is there anyone in the Baton Rouge area that can recommand a good place to buy from.
Thanks guys
I appreciate it
Later
Jacob

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Jacob,

The Suzuki SV650 is probibly what you are thinking of. And yes it's a great bike to start with!

Hopefully someone in your area can point you to a good dealer, and welcome to SBW!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome Jacob! I agree that the SV650 is a great beginner bike. IMO, it's a bike that you won't soon get tired of or grow out of. I had the chance to ride one not long ago and it was a blast! It has excellent power delivery, handles good and is very comfortable. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Welcome. Baton Rouge is a fun town. You bunch of drunks. ;) :D

The SV650 is not just a good beginners bike. It is a good one to hang on to. :cool: It is probably the best blast for the buck out there in the lower displacement range. The Bandit 1200 is probably the best in the larger displacement. :)

S

·
0 Posts
RCjohn said:
The SV650 is not just a good beginners bike. It is a good one to hang on to. :cool: It is probably the best blast for the buck out there in the lower displacement range. The Bandit 1200 is probably the best in the larger displacement. :)
Griff did you hear that ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard there alot of upgrades out there for this bike. Were can i find some for later on, when I become more sure of myself on this motorcycle. Also, you guys say that it is cheap? How cheap? Can I find them used or are they pretty much new bikes here in the US?
Thanks guys
Jacob

P

·
0 Posts
Blueadder, doing a search on www.traderonline.com turned up no used SV650's in Louisiana. Check your local bike shops to see if they have any leads, and check the newspapers. Depending on the year/model, prices on used SV650's seem to run from around $4,000 - $6,000, give or take a few bills. This year Suzuki started offering the SV650S, which is basically the same bike as last year's SV650 (also available), except it has lower clip-ons (bars) and a half-fairing.

IMO, it's too early to start worrying about modifications. Devote your attention (and money) to proper riding gear first - at the minimum, a good full-face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and boots.

Congrats on entering the world of motorcycling! You're gonna love it!

Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to ask more questions along the way!

·
Registered
653 Posts
How far you can push the performance down the road is a warranted question when buying a new bike though.

I have heard with a new fuel mapping, and a full exhaust system, people have gotten enormous amounts of increase. I want to say I've heard 15 horsepower. I don't know a lot about these, but when I went to Texas World Speedway, I saw what seemed like 50 percent of the bikes being some homologation of an SV650. I'd be willing to bet you can get them to 100 horsepower with cams and some other mild engine work. They make up for their horsepower with torque mind you, they are no slouch from the factory.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Pete said:
This year Suzuki started offering the SV650S, which is basically the same bike as last year's SV650 (also available), except it has lower clip-ons (bars) and a half-fairing.

IMO, it's too early to start worrying about modifications. Devote your attention (and money) to proper riding gear first - at the minimum, a good full-face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and boots.

The 1/2 faired version is what we have in Canada. In europe they have both, it's considered a great bike (ie: not just a beginners bike) and is one of the best selling models out there.
I think the bike just came out last year so if there's not alot of used ones around, it could be a good sign...ie the people who bought one are keeping it. The v-twin motor sounds great with a pipe and more and more performance parts are available every month. People are racing them in the 600 class.
Where I live the sv is selling new for what a 3-4 year old 600 sportbike sells used!!!

I agree with Pete, no matter what bike you get, get good gear! Good gear is more comfortable, more practicle, and looks cool.... oh ya, it's safer too.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
They are carburated so there is no remapping just rejetting(I should probably go to the garage and actually look though). There aren't alot of used ones because they are new and most are on the race track. They sound great with the M4 exhaust on them. The Yoshimura exhaust is supposed to be pretty good on them too. Most of the aftermarket bodywork manufacturers have full fairing kits for them too. They look great too. Several performance shops have overbore kits, light weight pistons, rods, etc. I don't think that the true potential of the bike has been tapped yet. :cool:

·
Registered
653 Posts
*sigh*

Thanks for being gentle RCJohn, heh. I was afraid of that. I don't know a lot about the specifics of them, and I wasn't sure if they were FI or not, and I was going to look it up to make sure so I didn't look a fool. Then I vaguely thought someone had told me it was just like the TLs motor, but smaller, or something. Then I thought about how almost every Suzuki non-cruiser has gone to FI now, and just posted it.

whoops

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Rob Nance said:
*sigh*

Thanks for being gentle RCJohn, heh. I was afraid of that. I don't know a lot about the specifics of them, and I wasn't sure if they were FI or not, and I was going to look it up to make sure so I didn't look a fool. Then I vaguely thought someone had told me it was just like the TLs motor, but smaller, or something. Then I thought about how almost every Suzuki non-cruiser has gone to FI now, and just posted it.

whoops
I thought the TLS was carburated too but the TLR went to FI. I'm not sure. :)

Maybe Auger or TLsean can help out? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Guys

I apreciate all the help guys. I havent had anytime to make the rounds at the different dealers and i am still waiting to see if any of the Baton Rouge guys will write to me the best places to buy from.
I'm looking at buying the bike maybe midsummer or late.
I have also looked on the svrider.com site and they have alot of guys selling there bikes for 3000. Most of them are all 2000 and there are a few 2001,still at the dealer. Why would this people be selling brand new bikes where the majority of them have under 700 miles on them. Also if i buy used, what are the most important things to check for. Can someone email or send me a websitewith a indepth list of things to check for when buying a used bike. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Tristan said:
TLS is also FI
Thanks Tristan. :)

Maybe I should look a little closer to the SV owners manual. Laura might wonder what I'm up to. I keep trying to talk her into performance enhancements. I almost have her convinced to put the M4 exhaust on it. :cool:

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
There will be quite a few people selling them to get the new(to the USA) SV650S. Also some were used on the track last season and will be sold before this season. A huge chunk of the SVs were purchased for track use. I doubt that people will purchase the SV650S for racing. I don't see the reason to pay the extra money for equipment that will be removed.

As for what to look for:

Take a close look at the brakes.
Look closely at just general conditions.
Look closely at the frames for any kind of damage.
Check for any type of indications of the bike being down such as scraped footpeg mounts, scraped axle nut/bolt, etc.

A bike with less than 700miles either scared the owner too much or was used as a track bike. Scaring the owner is not that likely because they are easy bikes to ride.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah John, I was positive about the TLs, they've been FI since introduced in 97, and they actually had the most power in 97.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it a bad idea to buy a bike that has been used on the track, and do you think that $3000 is too much to ask for a used bike like this that may have been used on the track? Thats what the majority of them are asking for.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
That is like asking is $6,000 an okay price for a car. Need more info. Scott Russell's Ducati (the one from Daytona) could be sold for parts and souvenirs and still be valued at over $3000. But my F2 is not worth $3000. Depends on the bike, but yes $3000 to much. Wouldn't really want to buy an exrace bike for the street unless you are a good mechanic and plan to rebuild the motor etc, they see hard miles. Plus you would need to modify it to meet local laws (headlights, brakelights, blinkers (yeah right!) etc).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts