Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here ever purchased a bike off ebay? How was your experience, any advice or warnings for us all?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Never buy anything used sight unseen! best advice i can give.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything off ebay, but ebay is a good tool in finding bikes around your area.

I found my zx6r by searching sportbikes by the zipcode and found many bikes near Fort Wayne, then I e-mailed the ownwer exchanged information, looked and test rode the bike and I made an offer.

But I wouldn't buy anything you haven't seemed, and watch out for too good to be true deals, especially if they claim the bike that they claim was in Muncie, IN was moved to Germany and they needed money first to ship the bike....sounded like quite a scam.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I wouldnt buy a bike off ebay. Parts are a different story. Its a great place to find a rashed fairing to replace my broken one. Pay attention to the feedback, and beware of scams

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think I would buy a bike off ebay, but only one within driving distance. Then if I got there and bike was a POS or his papers were not in order I would tell them to blow it out their ass.

·
Registered
154 Posts
slick1537 said:
I think I would buy a bike off ebay, but only one within driving distance. Then if I got there and bike was a POS or his papers were not in order I would tell them to blow it out their ass.
The one bike I bought off eBay was within driving distance. So I didn't pay in advance, but took my trailer out and brought cash. The bike was exactly as advertised so I gave him the cash.

It hesitated starting when I went to ride it up the trailer ramp, the seller said "I think the battery is old, here's $50 back to get a new one."

That "old" battery lasted 2 more summers.

I've bought tons of parts and other stuff off from eBay without worries, but I agree that you really should see something expensive like a bike. Pictures and words are not as good as seeing the real thing.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
A member of a sport bike club here bought a nice sportbike off eBay. It had a very excellent custom paint job on it. It was not local.

He did a lot of e-mailing back and forth with the seller to get questions answered. I know several persons who have sold cars or trucks to out of state buyers, it seems to be the same, they ask a lot of questions before buying.

I have been looking at Valkyrie Interstates on eBay. I would do it if I had the money to get the bike, I have found a couple that were what I wanted. There is one for sale in Texas, exactly what I want, but again I don't have the money right now. Many sellers have, I have noticed, a deposit that holds the bike for 5 or more days until you get there to inspect, and if you don't want the bike at least some refund the deposit completely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts