Sportbike World banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my '01 f4i, i didn't want anyone else to do the installation because i had seen a few hack jobs on buddy's bikes... so i figured out a great and easy way to do it, if you can't do this right, you should probably sell your chick size tool set!

first, remove your lower fairings. 2nd, remove old bolts at engine block/frame mounting points (one per side!) and install bolts that came with sliders so that they are tight enough that they are lined up straight (as they will be installed) and loose enough that they stick out too far to re-mount fairings. 3rd, re-install your lowers just tight enough that the head of the bolts you just put in frame are pushing into the insulation foam on inside of fairings on both sides, leave 'em on for a couple minutes before taking the fairing lowers off agaim, you will now have bolt head impressions in the foam on both fairing panels, mark them with sharpie at dead-center of the bolt head impressions (important- be sure to use all fairing fasteners when making the impressions so that they are in the right place!). pilot drill with small drill bit on both fairings at your sharpie marker dot (be sure to set fairings on towel, idiot, so you don't f'up your nice graphics!). now, follow up with a hole-drill bit that is about 8-12mm larger in diameter than your sliders (wood hole drill works fine). gently clean hole edges with light sanding (fine sand paper and gentle pressure, knucklehead, you can still mess this up). re-install fairings and makes sure bolts for sliders are dead center of holes you just made, now remove the bolts, put the sliders on 'em and crank 'em back in. voila. perfect. easy. if you messed this up, i am in no way responsible for your idiocy! geoff

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts