Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On tuesday, I took a trip for the first time down to this burger place in Riverside where they have bikenight. I met a couple of people, and towards the end, a couple of us decided to hit the freeways for a ride (immagine that, a noob on a 250 trying to keep up with a two gixxers). Well, besides the cold air, the wind noise was bugging the crap outa me. So I'm thinking about getting earplugs, but I know nothing about em. To those of you who wear em: Any suggestions about what kind I should get? Which work better? Are they comfortable? Affordable? Maybe headphones for music?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I use the kind they give out in machine shops. made out of soft memory foam. They are cheap (free in my case), and work well. Foam by its very nature blocks high frequencies (wind noise) much better than low friequencies (speech) so you can still hear other people talk (so long as they dont mumble).
They are a must for taking long trips (for some reason you get much less tired if there is no wind noise) and for going fast (no noise to ditract you)

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
What kind of helmet are you using? A good helmet will cut down on wind noise dramatically. Also, you can get those custom fit earplugs for like $50-70.

Or you can buy regular fitting earplugs for a few bucks, you can usually find them at a sporting goods store. I wear earplugs on long trips...works wonders at high speeds. Problem is, when you are stopped is difficult to hear anything. But when I do stop riding, I don't have the ringing in my ears like I usually do...

·
Registered
489 Posts
The droning sound of a yosh RS-3 on long ass trips on the highway can be the most nausiating sound in the world. Wind wasn't really a problem... I have my earplugs from the army that I use. Little green ones that have "flange like" thinkgs going down them. Fit me perfectly. Wear them for hours and you don't even know they're there. Only thing I had to do was trip a little off the stems on the end so it didn't hit my helmet. I'm pretty sure you can get ones like that at most gun shops or army navy stores. Good stuff and pretty cheap.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I am in to my 60th year of riding which includes 42 yrs of dirt comp & some road racing. So at 75+ yrs of age my hearing is better then so many in their 20s & when in their line of work or on the streets I notice a lot in their 40 or 50s are with hearing aids. Not due to m/cing but the blast from so called music.

YET the wind factor will deafen you in a short length of time. I have had one set of custom made plugs that did not do much better then some of the foam ones. Lost them & the foam ones are always easy to obtain or will be in different pockets of my riding jackets with no worry of loosing the ones I paid $60.00 for.

You will also find such foam ones in many hardware stores & especailly places that sell lumber, power saws & such for there you are in the place with people that make their living using power saws & such.

I have a few soft containers for coins & that is where I strore my foam plugs I am using that week or possibly a bit longer, yet one does not want to wear them more then a few times. Also ones still in their containers in another pocket, of all my jackets, just in case I loose the coin container or decide it is time to dump the three sets I have been using the past week.

To cut down costs I buy a container of them & that means 200 sets of them in each container. So that will do for a number of yrs of riding.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DocThee said:
What kind of helmet are you using? A good helmet will cut down on wind noise dramatically.
I have a Shoei X-11. Excellent helmet, I love it. It has great ventelation, and I'm guessing because of that, the noise is pretty loud.

I guess I'll head down to the hardware store, or maybe sporting goods, to get some foam plugs. I did notice that after I came home from bikenight, I felt tired. Thanks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i got some free foam earplugs from work... travelled between LA and San Diego w/ and w/o them and they helped out alot.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
heh, funny. I tried searching before I started the thread, but came up with no good results. That could have been because I was lazy at the time and didn't look through the results thoroughly, but oh well. Thanks for doing the work for me :p

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Earplugs are absolutely critical for long-term protection of your hearing. I always have a pair along for motorcycle riding as well as other loud activities like airplanes, trains, shooting firearms, vacuuming the house, and music concerts. The important thing to remember is hearing damage is cumulative so the tiny injury one receives at a loud concert as a teenager will affect them during middle age another couple of decades down the road.

Music should be avoided while riding. That is just adding to the total volume of noise reaching the ear. The only way music and noise reduction could be achieved simultaneously is through noise-cancelling headphones, which obviously won't happen while wearing a motorcycle helmet.

My foam earplugs from Howard Leight Industries have a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 33 decibels, which will take the edge of most damaging sounds. I couple them them with earmuff-style protection if I'm out shooting. Careful protection of my ears has ensured that my hearing is often better than people much younger than me.

This is a subject that should be taken very seriously by motorcyclists!

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
lateott_156 said:
I bought a pack of those the other day. I haven't really had a chance to test them out though.
I crashed shortly after buying a big box of them so I haven't tried them yet either :D

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Blue Jays said:
...My foam earplugs from Howard Leight Industries have a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 33 decibels, which will take the edge of most damaging sounds...
Mine are from them also. I have a little snap-lock container (from the same company) attached to my keyring that holds them when I'm not wearing them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A recent sport touring magazine, had a three or four page article about hearing, hearing loss, and ear plugs. I don't remember the issue however, two websites were mentioned. Etymotic and theearplugguy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ear Plugs are a must. Go to CVS and get a box. All < $10. Disposable. Carry a few with you.

I have never ridden w/o them. No helmet cuts that much noise. I have a SHOEI RF 1000, a Scorpion XO etc. But ear plugs are a must.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Good stuff....

my buddies and I went on our annual 2,000 miler last year and my buddy was like here try these out.....I have always been one of those old farts, who wants to hear what is about to hit him.....anyhow I gave the ear plugs a shot and fell in love with'em.....I don't ride without'em now and I can actually hear everything around me....your hearing will adjust in time.....works in huuuuummmmmmveeeeeessssss too! Ride safe!:2cents:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
For the still questionable ones------wearing ear plug is like winding up your cage windows in that that you will hear sirens, ambulances & all the rest only not all the other noise that has been aggrivating you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts