Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok all you techy's here's the numbers....

I have been told of a couple things to look for when we drop the motor to remove a motor mount bolt that is broke off a few threads in.. and a couple things that may surface once she'd been ridden a bit that might shine light on why the compression is low in the top end.. but I'm no way impressed with this bike yet :rolleyes:

history of bike... bought used.. discoverd it had been ridden hard and put up wet and neglected for a LONG time.... and took alot of work to get her to this point...

E.

Attachments

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
better compression giving me more consistant torgue and better reliability that I'm gonna get up and go when I decide to give the throttle a good twist :thumb: say somewhere like at Ubly ;)

E.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I am still at a loss on this "losing compression at high RPM" stuff....I mean I huess if it is getting into valve float and they are hanging open then yes...but compression loss is across the board....its low all the time or its good...I dunno WTF they are referring to. The plot looks fine to me...typical drop outs...but fairly consistant....it may just be low on compression due to a long hard life...thats an easy fix..but time consuming...new pistons/rings/gaskets/valve job (notice I did not say headjob)....

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea yea I know a rebuild kit would be the fix.. I just didn't want to put anymore money into it than I already have... :crying: when Fred lowers the motor he's gonna take a peak at that stuff and see if maybe by chance if the cams are slotted and not set properly.. if they are stock I guess their nonadjustable but if they put the so called ape cams in then maybe they screwed them up like everthing else they touched :rolleyes: (and hopefully not find the possibility of rusted rings and leaking seals) and dont' quote me on all this tech stuff cause I could be saying it wrong.. my brain is straining to recall all the shit Brighton threw at me :p

E.

·
Registered
94 Posts
DreamRyder said:
ok all you techy's here's the numbers....

I have been told of a couple things to look for when we drop the motor to remove a motor mount bolt that is broke off a few threads in.. and a couple things that may surface once she'd been ridden a bit that might shine light on why the compression is low in the top end.. but I'm no way impressed with this bike yet :rolleyes:

history of bike... bought used.. discoverd it had been ridden hard and put up wet and neglected for a LONG time.... and took alot of work to get her to this point...

E.
E...just helping to clear up some confusion...

James stated that the bike is not burning fuel efficiently in the higher RPM range 8500+ -- it does not have anything to do with low compression. He thinks the cams are degreed incorrectly...just wanted to help ya on the techno mumbo jumbo ;)

I did have some help in explaining this :p

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
see I told you my brain couldn't remember everything he was throwing at me :p thanks Judi (and Fred in the back telling her what to type ;) )

but I could have sworn he said that morning that the compression was low on the top end :confused:

Chris - as for it runnin better than my honda - I don't think so :twofinger only reason why I went with the Gixxer was cause it's disposable to me and wouldn't matter one bit if I trashed it ;) well see how the two compare at Ubly :thumb:

E.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If running properly the 7fiddy should and would wipe up the 929 on the track and probably on the drag.......but I really do not consider these bikes for drag use, unless you mod them for it. Good luck with getting it running properly, when you do, you will be happy with it.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I only drag race and do the race track for fun.. so no real loss if it ain't the screamin machine the fella claimed :rolleyes:

my heart will always belong to my 929 anyways... ;)

It will be nice to see how the two compare at Ubly with the same rider on both bikes.. this way ya can rule out one rider is better than the other LOL...

speaking of Ubly I gotta get them dates back up on here for everyone to see when they ahve their open dates :drool:

E.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Well...my money is on bad jetting....but you may find that it has degree-able cams...I think it is just too rich...

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Judge said:
Well...my money is on bad jetting....but you may find that it has degree-able cams...I think it is just too rich...
well Fred is gonna take a look at the cams when he lowers the motor to fix the broken motor mount bolt... to see if that is the case... that was the only thing James at Brighton could think of right off hand that would explain it... he tried to adjust the leaness to richness with the power commander but it didn't make a difference unless he went WAY too much one way or the other... :crying: and I didn't want to spend the labor for him to dig into the motor after having to have spent as much as I had already :rolleyes:

I will be sure to post what he finds when we get around to doing that part... :thumb:

E.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Possibly a weak ignition? Gettin up into the higher revs maybe the coil cant keep up. Just a thought you might wanna test it:2cents:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
this is what it should look like... :twofinger

you guys dont even know what I got cookin!

Attachments

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Over_Dose said:

:drool:

E.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Over_Dose said:

I just hope it doesn't include camoflage :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts