Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the dumbest question I could think of:

-When parking a bike, do you leave it in 1st gear, or always put it in nuetral? Is that bad for it? (in 1st)

Ive always put my dirtbike into neutral, just wondering.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
It won't hurt a thing to put it in gear. Especially if your sidestand isn't super stable and especially with neutral safety switches that won't allow a start in gear. Good enough?:)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Parking

I had a 99 ZX6R about 3 years ago, i pulled it out of the shop, and parked it in front of my shop door, got off turned to walk inside, and CRASH, it rolled off the kickstand. Broke the rear set and scared up the fairings pretty good,(no frame sliders because they do not make any for that bike except the ones that bolt int the fairing bolt hole, they do more damage than good) so any way hell yes now i leave it in gear always.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
When parking my bike at home, I put it in Neutral. However if I'm out in a public place where there will be lots of people walking by it I stick it in first and roll it forward until it stops. Also if you're on a hill it's not a wise idea to leave it in neutral.. :laughing:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Parking brake? I'd use it more but it interferes with the operation of the power steering pump. It wouldnt be that big of a deal but it keeps on frying the AC compressor. :D

I leave my bike in neutral almost all the time. My personal reason, is that I like to turn the bike on to let it warm up while I am putting on my helmet and gloves. Bike wont start in gear.

However I've had bikes try to fall on me from this very thing, especially when parking on an incline.

So my ruitine involves getting off the bike and then tugging at the bars and the seat. If it doesnt try to fall, then I'm ok.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Dumb question

doesn't everyone worrie about the kickstand breaking? Maybe its just me:huh:

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Re: Dumb question

izzybo69 said:
doesn't everyone worrie about the kickstand breaking? Maybe its just me:huh:
Don't sweat it, I didn't think it was a particularly dumb question. Maybe he was just hassling you but forgot the ":twofinger"

My first thought when I saw it was that he must not have been on the Internet very long or had much exposure to folks new to bikes. Then I realized I might be missing part of his thought process and decided against writing an appropriate response.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That was not the dumbest question, this is : "what does the mummy mean on the front fork?" :laughing:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts