Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tactical law enforcement team broke into Tom Shiflett's home and took his 11-year-old son to hospital for court-ordered medical treatment for a minor head injury.

Garfield County's All Hazards Response Team raided the home Friday night, a day after Jon Shiflett fell after grabbing the handle of a moving car. The child was returned to the family at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday, hours after the raid.

"Inappropriate is not nearly strong enough a word. It was gross irresponsibility and stupidity," said Ross Talbott, owner of the Apple Tree Mobile Home Park south of New Castle who rents to the Shifletts and who witnessed the raid. "Is this Russia? I don't know what we're coming to when they think your kid needs medical help and they send a SWAT team."

In the end, the injury wasn't as severe as caseworkers from the Garfield County Department of Social Services thought when they went before a judge seeking a search warrant and order for medical treatment.

The doctor recommended fluids, Tylenol and ice to treat the bruises, according to a copy of Jon's patient aftercare instructions.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Oops!

I have a feeling that we're not getting the whole story here though. Since when does a SWAT team get sent to one's home for a simple childhood injury? The father must have behaved in some sort of negative or questionable way to warrant this kind of response.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops meant to post the link

link

From that article, it seems like the CPS was already involved for some reason or another, and deputies were sent first, only to have the guy refuse to take his son to the hospital. I still dont think that justifies a swat team. But if it only saves one child....

What interests me is this. Mistakes happen, I understand that. Now what? Will someone get in trouble for this? Will anyone apologize to the guy for this? Will there be restitution? Or will this be swept under the carpet?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
SWAT teams are only deployed for "High-Risk" Situations. There is definitely a LARGE chunk of the story missing on this one. Even more so than the guy just simply refusing to take the kid to the hospital. Something like this would happen if the police showed up and the guy told them he would shoot anyone that tried to take the kid or something like that.

I hate half-chopped and bias stories. They always make innocent people look bad.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
JBaz said:
Anyone remember this?

I remember seeing all of the funny captions for this picture. Heh
yeah, that alien gonzales kid, right?

Seriously, they spent way too much time covering that damn story.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Read about a case last night, where a swat team had their suspect in handcuffs when they encountered his gf whom was holding their 14 month baby. They killed her and blew the babies arm off. The overall point was the SWAT teams get more equipment thant training. The highlight of that point being a landlocked county in indiana whose swat team operates a amphibious assault vehicle

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Vash said:
Read about a case last night, where a swat team had their suspect in handcuffs when they encountered his gf whom was holding their 14 month baby. They killed her and blew the babies arm off. The overall point was the SWAT teams get more equipment thant training. The highlight of that point being a landlocked county in indiana whose swat team operates a amphibious assault vehicle
:laughing: That's Hamilton County, right?

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Floods, think floods. They are common in IN and IL.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
spicerke said:
Nah, only in your basement, Kan. :twofinger
At least it allows for a remodel every 5 years or so :laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts