Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ducati is recalling almost its entire 2001 range for attention to a clutch cylinder problem. The only bike it doesn’t affect is the 748R, which uses a slipper clutch.

The cylinders on the rest of the range are prone to leaking, which could potentially make the clutch jam. Ducati has stocked its dealers with replacement cylinders and written to owners recommending they put their machines in for the work to be carried out. Spokesman Luke Plummer said: " We have had no reports of clutches jamming. It is a standard safety recall. "

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spokesman Luke Plummer said: " We have had no reports of clutches jamming. It is a standard safety recall. "
The clutch lever froze on my brand new '01 M600. Seized slave piston. I'm also having troubles with plug fouling (carbon build-up = too rich). Maybe someone has an idea what that's about? I know I'm not using too much choke, so I would guess it has to be poor spark or carburetors out of adjusment? I've read that carbureted Monsters run lean from the factory, so plug fouling doesn't make much sense.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Actually, not all 2001 slave cylinders need to be replaced, just checked.

As for running lean from the factory - what have you been reading. Every bike I have run into lately has been running rich from the factory (mine included). That would account for your plugs fouling. That and try shifting after 2,500 rpms:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
As for running lean from the factory - what have you been reading. Every bike I have run into lately has been running rich from the factory (mine included).
I've been told by several Ducati dealers (and I've read in several forums) that carbureted Monsters run lean because of emissions requirements, and that it's supposedly a good idea to rejet at the 1000 km service.

That would account for your plugs fouling.
But do you have any idea why '01 Monsters are running rich? (There's a post below where someone describes plug fouling problems on an '01 M750.) I think the problem has to be electrical, as I've had my bike into the shop 3 times and the problem still isn't fixed. If it were just a simple carb adjustment, surely they would have done it already.

That and try shifting after 2,500 rpms
On a 600, you don't have much of a choice but to shift above 2500. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Actually, your emissions are taken care of by that rediculous charcoal canister behind your rear shock (you should have ripped this off already). All I can say that at the last ducati mechanics seminar, Ducati NA admitted that the carbs were set rich and they would warrenty leaning them out at no charge to the customer. Then again, what do I know, I just work on them. I'm not sure which dealers you've been to, but they should know about this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have talked to my local Ducati dealer's mechanics and they told me that they only have to check the slave silinder to see if it is leaking or making the liquid too dark whithout a longer period of usage. It isn't anything major. The best thing you can do is to just take it to a Ducati dealership and ask them to check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts