Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am currently playing with the idea of buying a European sportbike in a couple years. I am considering one of the European models. These bikes have always thrilled me with there design and stature. I also know that they are considered pretty good bikes.

I currently ride a 900RR and I have no problems with it at all. I think it is a wonderful machine and it does absolutely everything that I need it to do. But I have this calling to one day own a Ducati or Aprilla or gee... maybe an MV Augusta.

What I would like to know is if any of these bikes are good for daily driving. I also like to take trips and I know that these are not touring bikes. (I am not concerned with the cramped positioning) But what I want to know is if these bikes are reliable enough to take on two or three day trips. What about the service intervals? Are Ducatis still required to do the 6K or so valve adjustment? How about the others?

Price is not a major concern since I plan to purchase used in a few years. I would just like to know what the real riders out there have to say about these bikes. Any information or comments are very much welcomed. Your comments will certainly make a difference in my final decision.

Sincerely,

Michael
San Francisco, Ca

·
Registered
455 Posts
First off how the hell did you get that huge ass avatar?
Seriously though I ride a 900SS daily and find it to be reasonably comfortable. it is a little lacking in the wind protection and fuel range though. I have done 400+ mile days and 2-3 day trips on it without a problem. The 748/996 is a whole nother story. grab your ankles and bend over... then decide if that would be comfortable for commuting.

·
Registered
288 Posts
calspeed said:
It's Aprilia, not Aprilla. Don't worry, though, a lot of people get that wrong for some reason.

calspeed said:
I am currently playing with the idea of buying a European sportbike in a couple years. I am considering one of the European models.
Little redundant, don't ya' think? :D

If you've got balls of steel, or no balls at all (Honda owners :D), you should be OK. I say this.... rather, I type this, because after riding a buddy's Duc 748, well.... let's just they they were a little num. :confused: That's probably just me, though. The guy rides it 20 miles to work everyday (on highways and in the city), and he says it's bearable. He's also done some touring, and aside from more frequent stops than on his previous R6, the bike works great. As far as reliability goes, I don't know about anybody else, but my bud hasn't had any problems with his.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Falco!

I'll throw in a plug for my bike. For reasons unbeknownst to me, it is classified as a sport-tourer. If that is what they want to call it fine, but it leans VERY heavily towards the sport side. I have put in several 300-400 mile days and while it aint no Goldwing, it sure isn't a 748 either. I know several people who have fit one out with luggage and tour with it. It is reasonably comfortable (IMO moreso than your 900RR). As far as performance goes, I routinley lay waste to squids riding much more track oriented bikes like R6's and GSXR's (although, they are squids and I could probably take em' on my mountain bike). In other words, I beleive I've found the happy medium of a bike that performs very well on both the track and the road.

·
Registered
59 Posts
calspeed said:

But I have this calling to one day own a Ducati or Aprilla or gee... maybe an MV Augusta.

True like Spitfire says it is Aprilia. But, It is also MV Agusta (its a motorcycle not a town in Georgia) just kidding man I know what you mean. I am looking into the Aprilia Futura, of course it is a little to angular for some people but I love it. It is a sport tourer that has a lot of sport as well. It just depends on what you like all of them are works of art.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bwahahaha! I live in AUGUSTA, Georgia! I'm planning on buying a 748 in the next few weeks... believe me I'd much rather have the MV Agusta, but I can just imagine all the looks I'd get!

"Look at that idiot, he cant even spell Augusta correctly!"

M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Contrary to what you may have heard, the MV Agusta is a great everyday bike. That's what mine is, and I have 3000 miles on it with no problems whatsoever. If you don't mind your wrist going numb from the pressure, I suppose it would be alright for a sport-touring bike. The seat doesn't bother me at all (and at 210 pounds, my ass ain't small!), but my right wrist goes numb after about 50 miles. If you can handle the ergonomics, I wouldn't worry at all about reliability. FYI, the valve adjustment schedule is every 12k miles, so no problem there either.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Slacker...

Thanks for the info. Even though I posted this question about a year ago I am still interested in the MV F4. I have since bought an RC51 which I totally love but one day I know I will go to the extreme exotic side. One day...

Miguel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Calspeed! Go get ya a MV Agusta, you won't be disappointed. I love mine! If only I had half the riding ability the bike is designed for...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: How Much is it

JoeRocket [R1] said:
How much is the MV Agusta anyways? It looks too dang expensive for an everyday rider. The other bikes aren't too bad! I've always wanted a Mille R.
About $18k. That should be a bit cheaper than a Mille R.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Aprilia

I would go for an Aprilia. They have excellent quality, and are still rare. You can also get leftover 02s for cheap. Im getting my 02 RSV Mille for $10,800 here in 2 weeks. I have found 02 RSV Mille Rs for $13,500. Look around and you will find great deals!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I love my MV agusta. I just got it a few months ago. So far no problems other than a small leak of coolant. My clutch wrist does hurt after an hour in traffic but was ok on a longer out of the city trip of 2 hours or so becuase I could lay on the tank and take the pressure off from time to time. Same method I use on the VFR I still own. I would rather ride the Agusta and suffer a little to get the greater enjoyment once I get to curvy roads. It handles so much better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will risk being made fun of and suggest a Moto Guzzi. They don't suck since Aprilia bought them. They are sexy and sound great. I am trying to sell my 748 so I can buy a V11 Nero Corsa.
The MGS models really look sweet but aren't coming out till mid-05 and will be pricey.

Check out the website

www.moto-vational.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Own a Futura...best bike I've owned

I have a Futura and I simply love it. It has a great sound (D&D aftermarket cans with revised codes, etc.) and the bags are super useful. This is my first "bagger" and I was very apprehensive about the idea. But, now that I have bags, I'm not sure I could go back. Also, the bags don't look awful like on lots of other bikes.

The bike has plenty of power, but you can always use more.

FYI: I bought my Futura used for ~$8k with risers, aftermarket exhaust, Penske rear shock, Pirellis, cruise control, electrical outlet, etc and I am very happy with it.

I've put ~6k miles in less than 2 years on it with only 1 small electrical issue which went away with time. Go figure.

But, the MV and new Aprilia Mille are very sweet indeed!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Own a Futura...best bike I've owned

I have a Futura and I simply love it. It has a great sound (D&D aftermarket cans with revised codes, etc.) and the bags are super useful. This is my first "bagger" and I was very apprehensive about the idea. But, now that I have bags, I'm not sure I could go back. Also, the bags don't look awful like on lots of other bikes.

The bike has plenty of power, but you can always use more.

FYI: I bought my Futura used for ~$8k with risers, aftermarket exhaust, Penske rear shock, Pirellis, cruise control, electrical outlet, etc and I am very happy with it.

I've put ~6k miles in less than 2 years on it with only 1 small electrical issue which went away with time. Go figure.

But, the MV and new Aprilia Mille are very sweet indeed!

·
Registered
19 Posts
TheSlacker said:
Contrary to what you may have heard, the MV Agusta is a great everyday bike. That's what mine is, and I have 3000 miles on it with no problems whatsoever. If you don't mind your wrist going numb from the pressure, I suppose it would be alright for a sport-touring bike. The seat doesn't bother me at all (and at 210 pounds, my ass ain't small!), but my right wrist goes numb after about 50 miles. If you can handle the ergonomics, I wouldn't worry at all about reliability. FYI, the valve adjustment schedule is every 12k miles, so no problem there either.
You can have roughly the same maintainance schedule (through a large dealer network) if you get a Ducati. The MV's handle like a pig compared to a 999/749, from what I've heard. All are beautiful machines and I would be easily sold on any of them, monies aside. Hell, if we are talking exclusive, why not get a Bimota SB8K Santamonica, or even that new ugly yet beautiful Tesi 2D. The company is back up and running again. It would also be cool to have a carburated VDue... food for thought.

All are awesome, but in the sense of practicality, think of your dealer network for when/if you go down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts