Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my first issue in the mail of motorcyclist and on the front was the new ducati 999. I must say i was extremely impressed with it. Cheers to Ducati on a well made / looking bike!!!:drool: . Now if only they would cut the price in half:(

·
Registered
137 Posts

First time I had seen the bike was when I got home from work last night and looked at the magazine. I think it's kind of ugly in comparison to the 998, but maybe it's on of those deals where the looks grow on you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: 999

old squid said:
I think it's kind of ugly in comparison to the 998, but maybe it's on of those deals where the looks grow on you.
I got that magazine last night and am in two minds now about the looks... it's not as immediately striking as the 916 style but is stunning compared to everything else out there, I reckon!!
Also, there is an editorial in that issue where some guy who's been around the bike for quite a while says just what you said more or less, that it takes some time before you can really accept it.
Also, there is a bit which describes the 999 and 998 parked next to each other and reports that the 999 is really tiny in comparison, I think it said the 998 seems frumpy next to it (or something like that).
Wow, I am really looking forward to seeing this bike in person.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just say it you wusses. The bike is ****in ugly!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I didn't think Ducati could do it... they made an ugly bike even uglier. I don't know what it is about them, but the 9xx line has never been visually appealing to me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
kvpZX9R said:
I didn't think Ducati could do it... they made an ugly bike even uglier. I don't know what it is about them, but the 9xx line has never been visually appealing to me.
snicker snicker... nice one mate, now what bike do you ride? an ORANGE KAWASAKI !!! yuk yuk yuk... you're pulling our plonkers... surely!?

·
Registered
492 Posts
BamBam said:

snicker snicker... nice one mate, now what bike do you ride? an ORANGE KAWASAKI !!! yuk yuk yuk... you're pulling our plonkers... surely!?
Nope...Call me crazy, but I have never liked the looks of the bodywork.

I will admit that pic of a black 999 was much better than the red. I'm not that fond of that tone of red.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Actually KVP, I just went to your photo gallery. The 'Orange Kawasaki' remark is a bit of a simplification - it's actually quite a tasteful metallic effect - rather smart I reckon. Whoops... sorry bout that!
No accounting for taste - the 916 is a wildly popular style though - you are probably in a tiny minority not liking it at all.
Having said that, the Motorcyclist magazine article makes some interesting points about design vs styling. Many detractors slag off Terblanche for putting form before function but the article seems to show the reverse. He's removed a lot of the 'pretty' useless aspects of the superbike (eg beautiful but fiddly and overweight exhaust and swingarm) and made the new bike more practical to manufacture, maintain and ride... but - no sign that all these savings are going to bring the price down.. ha ha - that would be too much to ask. How'd he manage to reduce the number of parts by 28% make the bike noticeably smaller and yet STILL increase the weight??

·
Registered
492 Posts
BamBam said:
you are probably in a tiny minority not liking it at all.
The only thing I'd change in this statement is "probably" to definitely. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts