Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all Ducati enthusiast> Did the Ducati 996s 2001 model year come in Biposto and Monoposto. I have seen answers for both. Help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a 996S question for 'ya-

I just bought a 1999 California 996S. It's number 196. How can I find out how many they made that year?

thx!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I believe in order to run in Super Bike compitition the manufactures have to make a minium of 500 motorcycles that are similar and street able to the one they race.
I have #71 of 500 996s same year.
I think the Calif. models had more smog equipment. but all superbikes(S) models were from the same lot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i don't know the answer to how many were made...but homologation numbers for a manufacturer to be able to compete only apply to race bikes like ducati's "sps" or "r" versions, so you really can't use that as a baseline to determine the production numbers for the standard or "s" models. iirc homologation requirements can differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. if ducati is required to make at least 300 homologation bikes, you can bet that the number of standard or "s" models is SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

as far as "california bikes", there's no such thing. all ducatis are 50 state legal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys~

I tend to agree w/ chiromikey that the 's' is not a homoligation special. I only mention that it's the CA model in the event it made some diff but I also figgured it just meant they pilled on more smog stuff. All stuff is gone now anyway, thanks to the original owner :)

I wrote to Ducati-N.A. a few months back but don't exactly expect a response.

BTW// just had a chance to get it on the track. A few photos of my day can be found Here

1 - 6 of 6 Posts