Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the forums and just wanted to jump in and see what ya had to offer. As you can see from my user name I have a CBR 900RR, its a '94. I've been on bikes for quite a while, taken the safety courses, and am used to having some power underneath me. I was thinking about getting an '07 Ducati 1098S and wanted to see what you guys think....so just go ahead and through it out there. I'd like to hear some thoughts on it and see if its worth it.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
If I had the money, the 1098S would be the bike for me :drool: 'Course a recent Cycle World shootout with other liter bikes showed it wasn't up to par with the Japanese models, but its so sweet!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
There are few bikes available right now that look sweeter than the black S. They are a bit overpriced, and will likely follow the Ducati tradition of needing more upkeep then their japanese counterparts. The handling is impeccable but the power is lacking in comparison to the japanese liter bikes.

That being said, if you have the money, and feel that the bike is right for you, go for it. You'll be the envy of the town.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
They are a bit overpriced, and will likely follow the Ducati tradition of needing more upkeep then their japanese counterparts.
In the end you might be right, but the driver to creating the 1098, IIRC, was to produce a beautiful bike that required far less maintenance than previous Duc's and lower the cost to be competitive with the Jap models. It will be an interesting watch in the magazine reviews over the next few years.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
the driver to creating the 1098, IIRC, was to produce a beautiful bike that required far less maintenance than previous Duc's and lower the cost to be competitive with the Jap models.
Well, they didn't do the best job at the latter, so we will see about the former.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice. you've mentioned japanese counterparts, but which ones in particular?? im a fan of the ZX-6R body style and under tail exhaust but don't know much about them as bikes. i've also ridden many GSX-Rs and been on an R6 but compared to the physical body size of my 900, the smaller 600 bikes don't fit me well. the 'busa has been the only thing that felt "right." also, my family and i have been riding hondas for quite some time now and since we've never really had any problems that would probably be my next step. i know they tend to be more expensive than suzuki or yamaha but is true theyre also a little quicker??

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
At the Joe Schmoe level of riding, which I would say 90%+ of all riders fit into, "quickness" is more a function of the rider than of the bike. I'd say go with the one that fits and looks the best to you that your wallet will support.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I'm with spicer on this one.

Also, you won't find many brand-loyal riders here. That being said, your comment about Honda... Yeah. If you find something that looks and fits you better, go with that. RRs are very competitive in recent years, so one won't really be more reliable or faster than the other.

I absolutely LOVE my 03 ZX6r, but I absolutely DESPISE the 05+ models. My next bike definitely won't be a new kawi. At least not a 6R. Actually, from all of the ones I've ridden, I'd have to say my next bike will probably be a Honda. My neighbor had a 1000RR last summer, and I took that for a ride. I love the way it sits and feels. It's either that or an R1. Or a ZX10R. Or a Triumph.

So far anyway.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had a 1994 CBR900RR for about 6 years. I modified it fairly heavy with triple clamps, suspension, brakes, exhaust....and had a lot of fun on it.

I bought a 95 916 during that time a road it up in the hills and for track days. The 916 had plenty of power for me. I lapped faster and did not have the maintenance issues that many people had--mostly because I had a good mechanic and I could take care of a lot of things myself.

I traded up to a 999R and now have a 1098. All the modern superbikes bikes are still faster than I will ever be--but the Ducatis are very easy to go fast on. The 1098 has converted many riders over because of the price.

Get what you like. I would ride a Ducati if you are interested--they are completely different than an inline 4.

-M

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the input guys. i have actually had my dad talk to a store owner about the bike and he said it will really move (which is like most newer bikes with the technology available) and i don't mind the power, its just that the temptation will always be there, haha. i intend to use this bike a daily rider around town and the interstate for short trips. i have no intentions of ever taking it to the track and this is what this bike is based off of, so are there any other bikes out there that might do better? should i look more towards a japanese bike such as honda's 1000RR or the 999?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The RR and the 999 are both track bikes. What you seem to be looking for is a sport tourer. Check out the busa, the zx-14, the VFR, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
interesting. ill have to look into that. i guess my follow up question to that is if i was picking a track bike, which would be a better choice?? i know there isn't a "right" answer, im just trying to get a feel for which company out there has the strongest customer basis and support. also, do ducati's have solid repair records or is it like being a european car in america?? haha

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i guess my follow up question to that is if i was picking a track bike, which would be a better choice?? i know there isn't a "right" answer, im just trying to get a feel for which company out there has the strongest customer basis and support.

See above posts.

Comfort and looks. That is what you should base your decision on.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Ducati's make great track bikes. Or so I'm told, never having owned one. Reliability on them isn't as good as what the Japanese standards are, but it is not bad, and quickly improving. Until the 1098 they were pretty well overpriced, but now only moderately so. Their desmo system requires more maintenance, which is likely to cost you more money per hour, since dealerships tend to assume that you can afford it.

I would guess that Suzuki's probably have the higher customer loyalty, I suspect this is due to them being the cheapest (if only by a small amount) and thus most likely to be someones first bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks, i appreciate it guys. now that ive got some input im gonna go hop on some bikes and see how they feel. ill letcha know what i find out.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I would guess that Suzuki's probably have the higher customer loyalty, I suspect this is due to them being the cheapest (if only by a small amount) and thus most likely to be someones first bike.
I agree with this and would suggest that there are probably more parts available for GSXR's because they tend to be ridden by those who like to stunt and are often associated with those in the squidly camp :squid:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
yes it is a good bike I would guess that Suzuki's probably have the higher customer loyalty, I suspect this is due to them being the cheapest (if only by a small amount) and thus most likely to be someones first bike.I want some more details.
thankyou.
=====================================
jack008

1 - 17 of 17 Posts