Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post follows on from several Gunniess fuelled conversations on how we might move forward with track riding in Malaysia. Having done sweet FA to help Gareth and Graeme organise any of the events, but aware that considerable time and efforts they put in, I might have overestimated how much of a hassle this could be.

The Idea
Get together as a group and purchase a bulk order of 600cc track bikes (hopefully heavily discounted) directly from a sympathetic manufacturer and set up a Singapore Supersport series (with perhaps the odd guest rider from Australia getting involved - Dave?!). If Sepang are willing to support this (provide storage for bikes and allocate times for us to race either as a standalone event or in support of other events) the idea might be a starter, if not we are f**cked. I am sure we will be able to find a manufacturer willing to provide the hardware.

The Rationale
This would provide a level playing field for all riders. 600s are cheaper to buy and run than litre bikes and probably better for genuinely improving riding skills on the track. Cost seems to be becoming a key factor for some people and given the money spent on most of the bikes I can understand why. To me it seems crazy to risk writing-off a S$30-40K bike every time we go on the track - a track bike should be cheaper to repair if crashed and there is no problem of having to find transport back to Singapore etc. I also don't see why we couldn't rent out individual track bikes on a "you bend it you mend it" to track day riders who need a bike for the day. I for one know plenty of people who would love a day or so on Sepang and would fly from the UK to do so - that might go some way to funding the bike durng the season.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this to see if the idea has a basic level of support.

So how??

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Fark Me !!!

Listen you CANT !!! ....

You take that idea of yours and stick is a farkin far up as it will go ... then stick it a little further ...

In fact .... you just name a time and place and I'll organise a few big brewsers from the Singapore Chapter of the "Hells Kitchen", and they'll stick your idea in a big 1.5 litre Coke bottle ...(check the adversiting lads!! ... I am now sponsored ..) .. and THEN stuff it up your PIA starfish !!!

Heaven help me if your idea floats. How exactly would I then continue to justify to the new wiffey the exorbidant expenses I am currently able to get away with ... all in the name of ensuring my 'manhood' remains pumped as I hurtle my monster bollocks round the track on my brand new piece of kit.

I would have no excuse for coming last. I would have no excuse to buy the latest Ohlins this, and Yoshi that ...

To all other club members in the same frame of mind, you are most welcome to come watch all this ... tickets are $15 for members, $20 guests, kids under 15 are free.

P.S .... on a slightly serious note (fark ..who ? ... me .. arf arf) ... I think the idea of 'standard' bikes would be a right farkin hoot ... but I have my doubts over certain members of our club who would CERTAINLY have their bikes secretly modified to get the extra edge !!! .... like those shifty 'Germans' ... Silver Screen Star and The Yellow Stain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it wouldn't be any fun if NO modifications were allowed. Was thinking we could follow WSS rules but don't really care.

.....and I am sure we can bend the rules a little to allow you to purchase an aftermarket gravel plough and hedge trimmer for faster exit speeds!!:twofinger :twofinger :twofinger

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
A few things

Jules,
I still think the idea has it's merits.
See if you can poll the guys and gauge the level of interest.
I'll start looking into the bike situ.
Unless we have some kind of a plan we don't even need to bother Sepang or PG yet.

I suspect that a lot of guys enjoy raggin round on their own bikes as much as anything else. ( This may change as crashes and the following repair costs become more frequent)

Lets see if we can come up with a layout of a way forward and then let the guys in the club respond. I think we're looking at 15 bikes to start with ( + 4 or 5 in spares)
There are various approaches to this as they'd only be track legal and therefore in theory much cheaper to run and repair.
We could even start with second hand bikes and/ or light road crash damaged ones.

I'll get back to you.

Cheers

Cheers

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
'Bing'

What about a bunch of low km grey imports from Japan??

Common over here as a cheap way of getting onto the track as the bikes are not road registrable.

and Jules you can count me in for any chance to hop over and tear it up with you loons :D

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Naked

What about a naked bike series ? Fazers or ZZR1100's or old Z1's no nasty plastic to break and lots of hero points:cool: Could probaly get a deal on Fazers, would be better if they were road registered so we can race at all three circuits. I could probably arrange sponsors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a bad idea - I have seen that the Honda Hornet series runs in the UK, and plenty of people on other forums seem to rave about racing Suzuki's SV650 which is also very light and agile for a budget bike. Good point about racing on other curcuits too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Fark Me !!!

Legend said:
... I think the idea of 'standard' bikes would be a right farkin hoot ... but I have my doubts over certain members of our club who would CERTAINLY have their bikes secretly modified to get the extra edge !!! .... like those shifty 'Germans' ... Silver Screen Star and The Yellow Stain.
What!!??!! Standard Bikes!!??!! Who has ever heard of a Standard Ducati??:p :p

·
Registered
726 Posts
Nice to be back

My 2 cents...

Simple really - The exorbitant costs of repairing sport bikes is one of the factors that makes me dubious about taking out the 996 for a decent spanking.. As Jules says, the thought of buying, say, the mighty Gixxer at a way over the odds price and then managing to get it to do an endo seems silly, but then again, that is why we buy them.

A 600 series would be ideal, in my opinion, but once again the Duke would have to go, as I have neither Tug's money to spend, nor Legend's time on my hands to fettle...

I would love to get involved on a more serious basis, but at the moment, what with the missus up the duff, I am not going to be able to turn around and say - Sorry luv, need 10 grand to fix the Duke....

Anyone need a Spanna man?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Farkin yawn !!

Ok, can we got over this farkin thread already ???

PIA ...is a cant. He farkin crashes everytime he sees Oly in front of him, cause he thinks he can keep up with a brand new bike on his 50,000k's shagged old shock .... simple ... he's a cant ... unless of course he was a riding god like me... and he aint.

Now ... he's also forgot to mention, he's farkin off to HK soon, so he ain't gonna be in the picture, except if he leaves a bike at Sepang ... and given that he can't sort out washing his bike on a semi regular basis, changes are we will not see his Put It Away arse ever again !!

So .... what's left. For those that think they will save money if we buy track bikes ... sure we will .. LIKE FARK !! ... accept that if we do this, it's cause we are now no longer doing it as a hobby/ come parttime sport ... but as a full on sport. Think about it, race bikes ... we WILL start riding faster, we WILL crash more .. we WILL have to still service them, buy tires, chains, upgrade forks and shock so they are track worthy ... and STILL pay for repairs to fairings etc when we crash .....

And unless you all plan to do away with your road bikes ... you've still got the expense of your roadbike as well ... still have to service it, get tires etc etc.

I did the sums before. I like owning and riding a sportbike. I love taking it on the track. I do not think, nor do I aspire to try to, come first, second OR third in a race, but I love the idea of dicing it up with others on the track. I accept I may well crash. I expect, given my riding ability and style, that it will happen maybe once every 6 months .... so I'm doing well so far. I expect it will cost about $4,000 if I crash it ... on average...provided I don't really fark it up ... and remember most of the crashes we have all seen todate have been substantially less than this.

So .. you do the maths. If I buy ANOTHER bike, and have to maintain this, as well as expect to crash more often, cause I'm pushing it harder (for the simple reason that I've commited to be 'racing a race bike') it will cost me the initial outlay, plus maintenance, plus probably about $2,000 everytime I crash it ??..... and it's fault logic to think we can maintain these things on the cheap. They have to be in 100% track worthy condition, otherwise it just won't be safe.

Basically I reakon for me it's cheaper to ride my roadbike on the track, and if I bin it, replace the farked bits with better pieces and be done with it...

So it's simple. If we do this, we sell our roadbikes. Ain't no point having a roadbike if you do it to save money. Ain't no point having a bike like an R1 either. For Singapore... may as well have a farkin XR400...

So for me in summary, I simply enjoy riding and owning an R1 and being able to take it round the track, buy bits for it, ride it up and around Malaysia et al .. more than I do the idea of punting a beaten up crashed to fark 600 .... I just couldn;t afford to do both.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
in that case i will buy and XR 400 and still thrash the pants off you with some supermotard tyres:twofinger :twofinger :twofinger

....and besides am thinking of keeping a bike down here and flying down - how could i miss the opportunity to keep riding sepang with such a bunch of c*nts as you so eloquently desribe us all? :)

Not sure whether to keep the nail or trade her in for something a little newer (and smaller like an R6).

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Oh dear a few nerve ends

Well
Lets see/
Legend your 4 g's repair bill went to 2 G's mid argument.
Mmmmh when you think of the bikes with 6 G forks that bend quite well i think the maths of yours are a tad tainted.
R1's bend quite easily and taking into account that in Singapore if the frames f'd you cant buy a new one.

People are already exploring the limits( crashin) so i dont agree with your go faster on a race bike thing.

I agree with your argu that you want to ride " your bike" around the track and see your point on the enjoyment of bolt on goodies etc.
Just thought ( yes i do sometimes) that leveling the playing field and making gravel excusions cheaper might be an idea.

If you look a couple of posts earlier a couple of guys dont go to the track for fear of chuckin their pride and joy up the road. So some of your arguments are the ones keeping people from the track which is a pity. For the club, the track and for them.

Anyways ...hows the new toy?
Got the rack sorted ?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My thoughts on it all are....... trying to get at all serious with a roadie will only end in tears and large repair bills.

So it's get serious and go all out on a crashable race bike or just do it for fun and use the road weapon at a sensible (what am I saying???) pace.

When you have to ride the bike to the track your options are somewhat limited.... :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with phil - and let us bear in mind that we are hardly good enough to say that smaller capacity bikes are not fast/good enough for us - the focus has become on going faster by buying expensive equipement not by improving riding skills.

A friend of mine bought an RGV 250 for the cost of a set of Ohlins forks to use at PG and says its more fun than his 1 litre bike (although probably not at sepang). i did also see a guy do 2min 10 sec lap on a 250 at sepang -some bloke called Melandri but i don't think he is a club member yet.

It seems that everyone has there own opinion on this so getting a consensual verdict will be impossible. Although we could run a "step through" race series at PG - legend you could ride that to work and no need to fit a rack as they come with one as standard! Now that would be cheap!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ledge...

That was exactly my point... To do the MSS with any conviction means selling the Duc - I can't have a race bike and a road bike. And as I can't commit to every race meeting weekend, I'm going to have to stick with the Duke and watch you boys having fun...

Don't get me wrong, I love hacking round Sepang/Gudang, and still will at track days... but upping the ante and doing nothing but a race series is a little more than I can manage right now. If they have a Vespa series, let me know.

Having said that, I may just throw caution to the wind and fit stabilisers to the 996 and invest in some Ben-Hur style Chariot wheels with them spikes in....

Legend, you truly are a legend, but from what I understand, you have just bought a new toy... Is that just cos the seat was ripped on the old one? The plastic that was flapping around as a result slowing you down? Mate I have something for you to read... A 2002 (I think) R1, lowsided at a track day in the UK, repair bill? a cool $10k..... Technically written off....

Ah bollox to it. Give me the video camera - I'm going to take up commentating

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Arf Arf Arf ....

I hate it when I write a huge farkin post, only to have someone say the same thing but with a hell of a lot less words ..... but Davo, you said it nice.

It's really the decision between taking this whole thing to the next level .... or not.

If we do, then the roadbikes are out.

So .. the real question is, do we want to. Are we a club of racers, or are we a club of roadbike owners that take there bikes on the track when we can ??

Tell ya what though lads, this is becoming the making of a right ding dong chin wag that really NEEDS some beer fired chats ... we could talk this one through for at least 4 hours ..... so when is the next piss up ??

Now here is a thought ....

We keep the existing format, to cater for the not too serious fokes that enjoy thaking there roadies to the track, and for the new people we meet on the roads that have never done all this, and for the others that have the cash and want to find what and where the limits are of there machines with bits of goodies on it ...

But, how about we have a one off race series next year at Pasar Guidaaangie, seperate from the roadbike/ current format. cc limit is 400cc 4 strokes and 250cc 2 strokes. Imagaine GSXR's, RGV's, Aprilia's. Basically bucket racer pieces of shite, secondhand are the order of the day, provided we put a little of the saved cash into brakes, tires, suspension and non threaded sump plugs. Which ever bike makes it to the finish line in the highest order, the most ... wins ... it would be an interesting way of finding out the limits of out current riding style ...

Just one question ... we are already rated quite highly by the people at the recent GP support race and a right laugh based on our 'love of crashing' ... will the introduction of such 'cheaper' bikes, with less to lose from a crash .... incite more or less ?

P.S yo big phil, still waiting from the call from Harry to let me know I pick up me new toy. I'm glad to hear your a broke cant too .... even me new wifey was amased at my ability to convince myself what a greeat idea it was spending daft money on a new bike given my massive smile in the GP weekend was cause I didn't dump it after going gravelly ...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Under starter's orders.....

"and It's a bloke on a Japanese bike in 4th...."

I was a born commentator me... Just reading thru me Murray Walker "Manual" now..

·
Registered
146 Posts
What New Toys everybody is buying??

Wonder what all this is leading to.

As what BigPhil corrected me in my earlier post, it aint the bike. There is still much to be explored with regards to getting the right technique and approach to riding fast.

The Superbike School teachings can only take you so far, and the rest is concentration, focus, understanding, and improvements. All this requires some thinking when you are executing the braking, leaning, and egress out of the turns. How do you get better,..brake later, lean quicker, lower, and getting on the gas earlier. It takes much co-ordination.

Start with a less than perfect machine,..and get used to all the unrefined characteristics, like engine power delivery, balls wrecking handling,...etc,...and when you can muster the right courage, take it to your limits.

Then move up to the next level of bike superiority. You will then be adapt to appreciate the elements, like superior engine power, handling, suspension etc.

I started off with a then 7 year old baby monster(manufactured in 1990), the delectable GSXR750L slingshot,..and stage by stage improved the handling, and engine grade. Ending up with a full Yoshi Superbike set-up in Y2000. It was one of the best bikes I hv ever owned and ridden. The package was never as refined as the current models, but damned the bike was one helluva kicker. It was fast enough to keep up with the newer SRADs.

Moving up to the R1, was almost natural. Getting used to the speeds helped tremendously in getting the lap times down. Braking was also much easier, as the Yoshi Gixxer was much heavier and clumsy.

That's my 2 cents worth of thought.

Basically, get the fundamentals right, and move up from there. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts