1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
i agree with the article that 2 $35 fines does not even come close to justice.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It is a shame that our legal system can let a**holes like this slip through the cracks. These are the types of cases that kill the faith of the average man in the US legal process. They mention that "we do not have to criminalize" when in fact knowingly disobeyed policy and operated the vehicle for an excessive number of hours.

The only glimmer of hope even remotely in that entire article is knowing that there are civil cases pending against the company and the driver for this. I am sure that the civil court system will award a hefty settlement. Even so, that cannot even come close to replacing a life, but it least they will have to pay somehow.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yea I agree I think that is pretty outrageous since I have also been fined more than that for doing a california role at a deserted stop sign. The families will doubtlessly win the civil cases, it was an accident but obviously that guys fault so he liable.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Wally said:
The families will doubtlessly win the civil cases, it was an accident but obviously that guys fault so he liable.
but what do they get in return? they certainly won't get justice.

i wanna curly-slap the crap out of that jury though. you kill 3 people and you're NOT GUILTY, holy O.J. Simpson Batman!!!! who else was driving the van? sympathic juries SUCK!!!!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Does have your stomach rolling does it not? Obviously here were six or more m/cist into their late 40s or early 50s & so we are not looking a whip-snappig squids that would be trouble makers ----- these were experienced riders.

Three killed & another three injured ----why the fine will not even come close to what the living onea will have to pay for ambulance service!!!!!!!!!!!

Who in the 'ell was asleep on this one?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Thank god our judicial system works:thumbs2:

That should be AT LEAST manslaughter.:mad: It makes you so mad you just want to go beat the hell outta this guy.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
The fines sound right for what he was finally found guilty of. The question is, how do you do that and NOT get found guilty of vehicular homicide, manslaughter, or some such. :confused:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I just saw this thing on those little news updates that pop up, it said...

"a local woman kills 2 people with her car, and 50,000 dollars later, she's out of jail. Did she get off too easy? More at 11"

Just imagine..
"a local woman kills 3 people with her car and seriously injures 2 others, and 75 dollars later, she's out of jail. Did she get off too easy? More at 11"

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I forked out $380.00 total for 3 minor speeding tickets on my bikes last yr. Now $70.00 would be more to my liking, but I would have to be an American truck driver, driving to long & then kill 3 m/c riders & mame several others ------- no that still would not work in my case no matter what for I am never that lucky.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Enough already!!!

I'm f**king sick and tired of these stories! When the hell is our legal system gonna stop seeing motorcyclists as sub-humans?! How the hell can we ever feel safe while riding if we know that the cager next to us has no fear of prosecution if he injures/kills us?! Damnit!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
59 Posts
To add insult to injury, there's this quote (from the 2nd article):

Keith Rigg, Butler's Des Moines attorney, said, "We worked really hard on a difficult case. Our heart goes out to the families of the victims. They suffered through this. And I hope this eases the suffering of everybody."

Does this guy even know how to think before speaking? Give me a frigging break! A $70 dollar fine and a meaningless conviction...yep I guess this guy and the family are about squared up...horse shit

"Ok everybody, go back to your lives, nothing to see here"

I bet if a motorcyclist had run into this guy and killed him, he'd be in a "special" chair.

:finger:

·
Registered
329 Posts
This is a blatent account of biased juries. Can you imagine if the situation was reversed and a motorcycle went out of control and killed 3 people, Im sure it would have been a lot different verdict, in fact Im sure there have been several similar cases in the past five years involving bikes killing other people, Im curious to find out what their sentencing is, I bet the varience in sentencing on an average would be astounding. Anyone have `info on specific accounts, post em up and lets compare. I think it is up to us to become involved with the (Justice For All) act and other related sources to get our voice from boards like this to the people making these decisions. As a motorcycle community we are the minority and we do have a lot of real predjudice against us when these things happen. We are not looked at as individuals, but as a group, and therefore have to be subjected to the common stereotypes of that group, whether on the highway or in the courthouse. This is a clear showing of those predjudices determining the outcome of a situation. Hopefully it will open some eyes and be a milestone in motorcyclist equality/rights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts