Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about changing out my rear sprocket and going up either 2 or 4 teeth. My stock chain is a 530 on a 600cc Yamaha.
I can get a 50T vortex rear, 15t vortex front, and a Premium Chain RK520XSO for $140 Shipped, which I believe is a pretty good price for the 3 pieces.
but how much of a differance is there between the 520 and 530 for a 600cc?? My understanding is the 530 is a stronger chain but somewhat overkill for a 600cc.
Should I go with the 520 conversion or look for a 48-50t rear 530 sprocket for my bike??

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm guessing you are doing all this for wheelies?
Those are especially hard on your chain (and clutch) I'd stay with a stronger chain. Cheaper in the long run.
The benefits of a lighter chain arent going to be felt on the street.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Vash said:
I'm guessing you are doing all this for wheelies?
No .... not wheellies. I want to go up in the rear to increase my top gear roll on power. Basically I'm going to suck all the power I can outta my bike :D it's cheaper then gettin a new one.
The 520 chain kit is only $140 for everything needed so I was thinkin it could be worth it for new sprockets & chain. Especially since a new rear alone is around $60-70.
I currently have 20k miles on the stock chain.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
20k on a stock chain? Mine was close to catastrophic failure at 16k.
If you want to increase roll on power, I would recommend a less drastic gearing change. Such as a -1 front OR +2 rear.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What would you be gaining by switching to a 520? the 520 is a dirt bike chain. I know some people switch but really, what is the point. It's not as strong and when im cookin down the road, I need 100% confidence in my chain. the choice is yours but the factory uses the 530 for a reason. they do this even while trying to make the bikes as light and fast as possible.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vash said:
20k on a stock chain? Mine was close to catastrophic failure at 16k.
If you want to increase roll on power, I would recommend a less drastic gearing change. Such as a -1 front OR +2 rear.
My stock chain looks pretty good as far as I can tell. Hell, I got 16k outta my stock tires before gettin new one.
I'm goin up in the rear cause I already went down in the front -1 a few (6 or so) months ago.
I'm thinkin I want to stay with the 530 for strengh .... just that price for the whole 520 kit is so cheap. That and nobody has a 50t 530 rear listed on thier web site for my bike.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The previous owner of my bike did a -1 +2 sprocket change and 520 DID chain conversion. I obviously hadn't ridden it before the conversion, but let me tell ya.. the acceleration/roll on power is great. I don't have a problem taking off on the highway with newer gixxers etc.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Guys, physics dont really lie. You wont accelerate faster with a sprocket change. you will just have the engine spinning at revs where it can put more power out. Which is really the same as shifting down a gear.
If you are doing it for wheelies thats a different story.. couse then you are looking to get a lower gear than first.

Yes I know pro dragsters change their sprockets. They are tuning to be going at near red line at finish.

·
Registered
414 Posts
the 520 conversion will be more than strong enough. The tensile strength is pretty much the same. The tensile strength of the two chains should be only with in a few hundred pounds of each other. If you can get the 520 for a good price then go with it. I know plenty of people with worked gsxr 750's with the 520 conversion. As for seeing a difference due to the weight of the chain, I don't think you will notice.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Vash said:
Guys, physics dont really lie. You wont accelerate faster with a sprocket change. you will just have the engine spinning at revs where it can put more power out. Which is really the same as shifting down a gear.
Vash, you contradicted yourself. Of course it will allow the bike to accelerate faster.

It will also mean that, at the same speeds you were doing, you'll be running higher revs all day.

Higher revs = less economical, if that's a concern to you.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Ok. perhaps I have not made myself clear.
It take a certain ammount of power to accelerate an object from speed A to speed B in a given time t. I think everyone will agree that sprockets dont add horsepower.

Now the engine is developing different power at different rpm. To simplify things we can say that the higher the rpm the more power its producing.

So cruising at a given speed in 6th gear spins the engine at say 6k rpm. You can change the sprockets and make it spin at 7k rpm. It will develope more power at 7k, and will accelerate faster. Or you could just downshift, and get the same result.

See what I'm saying?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts